404 Error in ASP.NET pages under Windows Server 2003

Matthew Louden

My ASP.NET application is working fine when I run under IIS Personal Web
Server in Windows 2000 machine. However, after I upload all the files to the
Windows Server 2003 machine, and tried to run the application, it has 404
error on all .aspx files. Even I re-compile and build the whole project in
Windows Server 2003, it couldn't help.

any ideas??

Richard K Bethell

Matthew Louden said:
My ASP.NET application is working fine when I run under IIS Personal Web
Server in Windows 2000 machine. However, after I upload all the files to the
Windows Server 2003 machine, and tried to run the application, it has 404
error on all .aspx files. Even I re-compile and build the whole project in
Windows Server 2003, it couldn't help.

any ideas??

Re-check the web site's home directory, or if it is a virtual directory,
that it has been created.

Keith

By Default, Windows Server 2003 is totally locked down.
With a default installation og Windows Server 2003 with
IIS added, you will only be able to serve static pages.
You need to allow the ASP.NET application to run.

Make sure you have turned on ASP.NET for your websites.

This setting is found under IIS Manager -> Web Service
Extensions. When you click on that folder, you will see
a list of applications to the right.

Select the ASP.NET one and then click Allow.

If you plan to run Asp pages on that server you will also
want to do the same thing for ASP.

Good Luck,

Keith

Matthew Louden

Keith:

I just went to IIS Manager -> Web Service Extensions. I clicked on that
folder, you I couldn't see ASP.NET application on the right.

I then tried to add ASPX extension in a button, but I don't know the path.

Any ideas??

Guest

Here is what you should have by default...

All Unknown CGI Extensions
All Unknown ISAPI Extensions
Active Server pages
ASP.NET v1.1.4322
Front Page Server Extensions 2002
Internet Data Connector
Server Side Includes
WebDAV

If you are missing the ASP.NET v1.1.4322 you may need to

I probably should have asked what version of 2003 that
you are using also. This applies to Standard and
Enterprise edition. I haven't installed Web edition, so
I am not real sure how it works. Any way you look at it,
You should have all of these for IIS. If you don't, you
will need to manage that aspect of the server. It sounds
like ASP.NET was not installed on your server at all.
Once that gets installed you can allow ASP.NET pages.

Keith