404 error invoking web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Tim Orr, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Tim Orr

    Tim Orr Guest

    Hi, I'm having a problem with a web service that I wrote.
    I first wrote & tested the web service on my local (XP) machine.
    I used visual studio to generate the web reference, which resolved to
    localhost, of course.
    All was well, everything worked.

    Then I moved the web service to a Win2K server on a "real" web site.
    I deleted the old web reference from my consumer code.
    Using visual studio I added a new web reference to the consumer code from
    the web server.
    I changed the C# code from using a localhost namespace to the com.xxx.yyy
    namespace generated by visual studio.

    When I invoke the web service, I get a 404 error - resource not found in the
    browser window.
    The stack trace is telling me that the failure is at
    "this.Invoke( "Zip", new object[] { .... } ) in reference.cs [which is
    generated by visual studio]

    I can browse to the web service using IE, I get the expected results.

    What the heck is wrong?

    Tim Orr, Jul 22, 2003