404 errors and redirects

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mike, Apr 28, 2008.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi:

    We have a web design crew building a site. It's fairly large, but not
    thousands of pages.

    When I do a scan for broken links I get a few hundred.

    Now, I've built sites before in html, no broken links.

    When I looked at the scan results, most of the broken links are one little
    image.

    The directory structure is such that there is a unique subdirectory for
    almost every item, and in that subdirectory , another IMAGES directory where
    that image would have to be placed in order for that 404 not to come up.
    I've never seen anything like it.

    When I asked why this is, the php fellow says he's using a redirect to fetch
    that image ( mod_redirect). So, I used another scanner filtering out
    redirects, which showed a cleaner scan.

    Question is: Will the SE's 'see' all of these errors or is php different
    than good ol html?

    I'm trying to get this site to rank well in the SERP's but not sure if these
    404's are legit or if I have a problem.

    I don't do php, and need to know if the redirect story is true or bovine
    excretion.

    TIA

    Mike
    Mike, Apr 28, 2008

  2. Mike

    John Hosking Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > We have a web design crew building a site. It's fairly large, but not
    > thousands of pages.

    The site, then, not the crew. ;-)

    > When I do a scan for broken links I get a few hundred.
    >
    > Now, I've built sites before in html, no broken links.
    >
    > When I looked at the scan results, most of the broken links are one little
    > image.

    Lemme guess: spacer.gif

    > The directory structure is such that there is a unique subdirectory for
    > almost every item, and in that subdirectory , another IMAGES directory where
    > that image would have to be placed in order for that 404 not to come up.
    > I've never seen anything like it.
    >
    > When I asked why this is, the php fellow says he's using a redirect to fetch
    > that image ( mod_redirect). So, I used another scanner filtering out
    > redirects, which showed a cleaner scan.
    >
    > Question is: Will the SE's 'see' all of these errors or is php different
    > than good ol html?

    The search engines won't know a page is generated via PHP anymore thqan
    human will. We people assume a page named contact.php is made with PHP,
    contact.asp is made using ASP, contact.cfm uses ColdFusion, etc., but we
    can't be sure. And that's okay, because what counts is what we see on
    the served page.

    What do you get on the served pages? If you get 404 errors, that'll
    affect your SE ranking and your visitors' experience. If you don't, then
    you just have a really weird directory configuration, which just sounds
    like a (potential) internal management/maintenance problem to me.

    > I'm trying to get this site to rank well in the SERP's but not sure if these
    > 404's are legit or if I have a problem.

    If they're legit, you do have a problem. Yes?

    --
    John
    Pondering the value of the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/
    John Hosking, Apr 28, 2008

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "John Hosking" <> wrote in message
    > Mike wrote:
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > We have a web design crew building a site. It's fairly large, but not
    > > thousands of pages.

    > The site, then, not the crew. ;-)
    >

    > > When I do a scan for broken links I get a few hundred.
    > >
    > > Now, I've built sites before in html, no broken links.
    > >
    > > When I looked at the scan results, most of the broken links are one

    little
    > > image.

    > Lemme guess: spacer.gif
    >

    > > The directory structure is such that there is a unique subdirectory for
    > > almost every item, and in that subdirectory , another IMAGES directory

    where
    > > that image would have to be placed in order for that 404 not to come up.
    > > I've never seen anything like it.
    > >
    > > When I asked why this is, the php fellow says he's using a redirect to

    fetch
    > > that image ( mod_redirect). So, I used another scanner filtering out
    > > redirects, which showed a cleaner scan.
    > >
    > > Question is: Will the SE's 'see' all of these errors or is php different
    > > than good ol html?

    > The search engines won't know a page is generated via PHP anymore thqan
    > human will. We people assume a page named contact.php is made with PHP,
    > contact.asp is made using ASP, contact.cfm uses ColdFusion, etc., but we
    > can't be sure. And that's okay, because what counts is what we see on
    > the served page.
    >
    > What do you get on the served pages? If you get 404 errors, that'll
    > affect your SE ranking and your visitors' experience. If you don't, then
    > you just have a really weird directory configuration, which just sounds
    > like a (potential) internal management/maintenance problem to me.
    >

    > > I'm trying to get this site to rank well in the SERP's but not sure if

    these
    > > 404's are legit or if I have a problem.

    > If they're legit, you do have a problem. Yes?
    >
    > --
    > John
    > Pondering the value of the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

    Hi:

    Yes, it's a spacer.gif.

    I'm using Xenu to scan. It's showing those 404's all over the place for that
    gif.

    Additionally, if I search on the domain name at google, and then select one
    of the links that comes up for one of the site pages, then copy that link
    into the google search field, I get

    Your search - http://4thesea.com/categories_listing.php?CatId=MTM0&view=1 -
    did not match any documents.

    And, there's the root domain if someone wants to help me see if I should get
    on this fellows case or not.

    Again: I've built sites in html with no errors and great rankings.

    We went with php because the designers said it'd be easier to manage the
    hundreds and hundreds of products via a gui they've built, where I can
    add/edit kwds and description. But- the descriptions I put in do not show
    up, and the SERPs look very redundant. Not at all as they should look if the
    gui actually worked, which I don't think it is.

    I've requested server error logs.

    I just think I'm being hornswaggled, but need to know for certain.

    TIA

    Mike
    Mike, Apr 28, 2008
  4. Mike

    John Hosking Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > "John Hosking" <> wrote in message
    >> Mike wrote:

    >>> When I do a scan for broken links I get a few hundred.

    >>> When I looked at the scan results, most of the broken links are one
    >>> little image.

    >> Lemme guess: spacer.gif
    >>

    >>> Question is: Will the SE's 'see' all of these errors or is php different
    >>> than good ol html?

    >> The search engines won't know a page is generated via PHP anymore thqan
    >> human will. We people assume a page named contact.php is made with PHP,
    >> contact.asp is made using ASP, contact.cfm uses ColdFusion, etc., but we
    >> can't be sure. And that's okay, because what counts is what we see on
    >> the served page.
    >>

    >>> I'm trying to get this site to rank well in the SERP's but not sure if
    >>> these 404's are legit or if I have a problem.

    >> If they're legit, you do have a problem. Yes?

    > Yes, it's a spacer.gif.

    Aren't you curious how I guessed? Aren't you just astounded at my
    clairvoyance?

    > I'm using Xenu to scan. It's showing those 404's all over the place for that
    > gif.

    If only there were a way to get rid of the errors *and* simplify the
    markup itself "all over the place". Hmmm...

    > Additionally, if I search on the domain name at google, and then select one
    > of the links that comes up for one of the site pages, then copy that link
    > into the google search field, I get
    >
    > Your search - http://4thesea.com/categories_listing.php?CatId=MTM0&view=1 -
    > did not match any documents.

    I'm not sure your methodology is valid (assuming I understand it
    correctly). I really don't think that Google cares about anything after
    the ? in the URI. I actually thought (although I am not sure) I had seen
    something somewhere about parameters being ignored. I'm also thinking
    about the enormous and outwardly meaningless parametered URLs I've seen.

    Looks like a large portion of your product links are hidden/generated by
    JavaScript, in which case you're lucky any of those links come up in
    Google at all. Anyway, I wouldn't be disappointed that a search on a
    parametered URL brings zero results; what potential customer will do that?

    > And, there's the root domain if someone wants to help me see if I should get
    > on this fellows case or not.

    Well, you could ask him to declare a bg color, and validate the code.
    Markup (Failed validation, 552 Errors)= Failed validation, 552 Errors
    CSS (http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/)= 4 errors, 1074 warnings

    > Again: I've built sites in html with no errors and great rankings.
    >
    > We went with php because the designers said it'd be easier to manage the
    > hundreds and hundreds of products via a gui they've built, where I can
    > add/edit kwds and description. But- the descriptions I put in do not show
    > up, and the SERPs look very redundant. Not at all as they should look if the
    > gui actually worked, which I don't think it is.

    Sorry, I'm not savvy enough here to be able to help. Maybe those who
    have worked with PHP-generated pages and catalog-store sites can offer
    more assistance.

    > I've requested server error logs.
    >
    > I just think I'm being hornswaggled, but need to know for certain.

    Good luck. Experts?

    --
    John
    Please trim signatures when quoting in your replies.
    John Hosking, Apr 28, 2008
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    link
    > > into the google search field, I get
    > >
    > > Your search -

    http://4thesea.com/categories_listing.php?CatId=MTM0&view=1 -
    > > did not match any documents.

    > When I Google 4thesea.com the results show only a single listing on your
    > domain: http://4thesea.com. All the other results are on other
    > domains. The one you cite didn't appear. What exactly was your Google
    > search for?
    >
    > > And, there's the root domain if someone wants to help me see if I should

    get
    > > on this fellows case or not.

    > I certainly would ask him for an explanation of why it's happening.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net
    > Always remember you are unique, like everyone else.

    Hi, all:

    Thanx for the input so far.

    What I did was search at Google for 4thesea.com. At page 2 of results I
    click the

    "repeat the search with the omitted results included."

    That SHOULD show 177+/- links Google. And it looks goat-roped, many pages
    redundantly titled, etc because the gui for inputting that info seems flaky.

    I was getting 404's in lines that sought boating-accessories-divider-003.gif

    LOTS of them. I've got the guy(s) working on this stuff, so maybe (
    hopefully ) trey're actually making progress. Problem is/was this thing is
    going live and I hate errors and not know php I feel like I'm not in control
    as with other sites I myself build ( plain html).
    Mike, Apr 28, 2008