    I think the current HTTP file transfer method will only support up to 2GB in
    size. Please advise how I can support 4GB+ upload in ASP.NET websites.

    Thank you in advance.
    Uncle Ben, Mar 12, 2005

  2. 4GB!! Do you really want to tick off your users by having them wait for a
    4GB upload? The .NET runtime supports up to 4MB by default. You really need
    to re-think what you are doing. Maybe a different protocal may be better.
    Something like a bittorrent.

    Tampa.NET Koder, Mar 12, 2005

  3. I seriously doubt that the HTML protocol will give you the possibility of
    uploading a file of 2GB in size. For downloading, yes, but not for
    uploading. (For the HTML protocol, uploading and downloading are two very
    different things and these two cannot be mixed or switched over.)

    Your only possibilities are to use FTP or to install a client application on
    each user and tranfert your files the classic way over the socket.

    For using an HTML Form to browse and upload the file to ASP.NET, forget it.

    S. L.

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Mar 12, 2005
  4. You can do it - you'll have to work out how to stop the worker process
    recycling at the machine level, and how to increase your script timeout to
    cater for duration, somehow based on a likely variable upload speed from
    clients - but its probably do-able. It is however a bit over ambitious to
    even consider this when there are so many other solutions that are better
    suited to this.

    If it was me I would look to pipe this through some form of torrent client
    as a seeded file to a torrent server, or get some IRC script and hack
    together a client and server and use xdcc, or use ftp as its capable....http
    would not be my first choice for this.

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    ASP.NET MVP
    Microsoft Regional Director

    John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\), Mar 12, 2005
  5. Uncle Ben

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Sylvain Lafontaine wrote:

    > I seriously doubt that the HTML protocol will give you the
    > possibility of uploading a file of 2GB in size.

    There's no HTML protocol. I guess you mean HTTP? Rest assured that
    uploading 4 GB over HTTP isn't an issue for the protocol.

    Whether a specific file upload API can deal with these huge uploads is
    a completely different story.

    Cheers,

    --
    http://www.joergjooss.de
    mailto:
    Joerg Jooss, Mar 13, 2005
  6. Uncle Ben

    Uncle Ben Guest

    "Joerg Jooss" <> wrote in message
    > There's no HTML protocol. I guess you mean HTTP? Rest assured that
    > uploading 4 GB over HTTP isn't an issue for the protocol.

    I thought there's a limit of 2 GB over HTTP? No?

    > Whether a specific file upload API can deal with these huge uploads is
    > a completely different story.

    Is there one available? What do most people use in .NET to handle "large"
    file upload reliably?
    Uncle Ben, Mar 13, 2005
  7. You're right, I mean the HTTP protocol, not the HTML protocol.

    My point was about to remind that the HTTP protocol is not symetrical in its
    conception: there are limitations on what you can send inside a POST query
    made to a web server and the fact that you can download a file with a
    relatively great size (I don't know the exact limit, 2G, 4G, none?) doesn't
    mean that you can upload a file up to the same size because of the various
    limits set on the web server.

    I know that we can modify many of these limits but, for a file of a size of
    up to 4G, I don't see the utility of even trying to do this instead of using
    FTP.

    S. L.

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Mar 13, 2005
  8. Uncle Ben

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Sylvain Lafontaine wrote:

    > You're right, I mean the HTTP protocol, not the HTML protocol.
    >
    > My point was about to remind that the HTTP protocol is not symetrical
    > in its conception: there are limitations on what you can send inside
    > a POST query made to a web server and the fact that you can download
    > a file with a relatively great size (I don't know the exact limit,
    > 2G, 4G, none?) doesn't mean that you can upload a file up to the same
    > size because of the various limits set on the web server.

    You're right -- web servers or application servers will pose a problem
    here rather than the protocol itself.

    Cheers,
    --
    http://www.joergjooss.de
    mailto:
    Joerg Jooss, Mar 13, 2005
  9. Uncle Ben

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Uncle Ben wrote:

    > "Joerg Jooss" <> wrote in message
    > > There's no HTML protocol. I guess you mean HTTP? Rest assured that
    > > uploading 4 GB over HTTP isn't an issue for the protocol.

    > I thought there's a limit of 2 GB over HTTP? No?

    No. Why?

    --
    http://www.joergjooss.de
    mailto: