    --
    Greymaus

    Anything that can not kill you is a boring experience.
    greymaus, Mar 28, 2008

  2. greymaus

    Ben Bullock Guest

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:36:36 +0000, greymaus wrote:

    > I have downloaded, compiled, and `make install' perl5.10.0, ok 3
    > Questions,`
    > 1) even if I `./configure --prefix=/usr', it still installs to
    > `/usr/local'. How do I get it to instal to /usr/? (Just 'mv
    > /usr/local/bin/perl5.10 /usr/bin'?

    ben /usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0 502 $ ls configure
    ls: configure: No such file or directory

    ben /usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0 503 $ ./Configure
    /usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0/UU

    Beginning of configuration questions for perl5.
    By default, perl5 will be installed in /usr/local/bin, manual pages
    under /usr/local/man, etc..., i.e. with /usr/local as prefix for all
    installation directories. Typically this is something like /usr/local.
    If you wish to have binaries under /usr/bin but other parts of the
    installation under /usr/local, that's ok: you will be prompted
    separately for each of the installation directories, the prefix being
    only used to set the defaults.

    Installation prefix to use? (~name ok) [/usr/local]

    > 2) Do I just relink /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl5.10 to have it run
    > from the command line ('perl -e (whatever')

    Pathname where the public executables will reside? (~name ok)
    [/usr/local/bin]

    > 3) Is there any way of reloading the modules i have under perl5.8.8
    > quickly ?

    In order to ease the process of upgrading, this version of perl
    can be configured to use modules built and installed with earlier
    versions of perl that were installed under /usr/local. Specify here
    the list of earlier versions that this version of perl should check.
    If Configure detected no earlier versions of perl installed under
    /usr/local, then the list will be empty. Answer 'none' to tell perl
    to not search earlier versions.

    The default should almost always be sensible, so if you're not sure,
    just accept the default.
    List of earlier versions to include in @INC? [none]
    Ben Bullock, Mar 28, 2008

  3. greymaus

    greymaus Guest

    On 2008-03-28, Ben Bullock <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:36:36 +0000, greymaus wrote:
    >
    >> I have downloaded, compiled, and `make install' perl5.10.0, ok 3
    >> Questions,`
    >> 1) even if I `./configure --prefix=/usr', it still installs to
    >> `/usr/local'. How do I get it to instal to /usr/? (Just 'mv
    >> /usr/local/bin/perl5.10 /usr/bin'?

    > ben /usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0 502 $ ls configure
    > ls: configure: No such file or directory
    >
    > ben /usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0 503 $ ./Configure
    > /usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0/UU
    >
    > Beginning of configuration questions for perl5.
    > By default, perl5 will be installed in /usr/local/bin, manual pages
    > under /usr/local/man, etc..., i.e. with /usr/local as prefix for all
    > installation directories. Typically this is something like /usr/local.
    > If you wish to have binaries under /usr/bin but other parts of the
    > installation under /usr/local, that's ok: you will be prompted
    > separately for each of the installation directories, the prefix being
    > only used to set the defaults.
    >
    > Installation prefix to use? (~name ok) [/usr/local]
    >
    >> 2) Do I just relink /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl5.10 to have it run
    >> from the command line ('perl -e (whatever')

    > Pathname where the public executables will reside? (~name ok)
    > [/usr/local/bin]
    >
    >> 3) Is there any way of reloading the modules i have under perl5.8.8
    >> quickly ?

    > In order to ease the process of upgrading, this version of perl
    > can be configured to use modules built and installed with earlier
    > versions of perl that were installed under /usr/local. Specify here
    > the list of earlier versions that this version of perl should check.
    > If Configure detected no earlier versions of perl installed under
    > /usr/local, then the list will be empty. Answer 'none' to tell perl
    > to not search earlier versions.
    >
    > The default should almost always be sensible, so if you're not sure,
    > just accept the default.
    > List of earlier versions to include in @INC? [none]

    Thanks

    greymaus, Mar 28, 2008