    tells me the connections use POST. Is that normal?
    Thanks in advance!
    Matt

    Matthias Lilke, May 18, 2004

  2. "Matthias Lilke" <> wrote in message
    news:uA%...
    > Hi!
    > I am deploying a VB WebService in turn running a FoxPro DLL. On the other
    > side, a Java App using Axis 1.1 requests information.

    I don't know anything about FoxPro.

    > Once or twice a week the service stops responding. Restarting the IIS
    > doesn't help, the whole box needs to be restarted. I found nothing in the
    > event log. The only clues I have are from the web server log. There is
    > nothing out of the ordinary. c-ip and s-ip are always the same, the

    request
    > always goes to the same asmx. The only difference is the return code (and
    > the bytes transmitted).

    a 500 error is an app error on the server side. Have you crashed ASP.NET ?
    Is there possibly a memory leak?

    > I'm not dot net crack, adding event log capabilites or something along

    those
    > lines are an absolute very, very last resort. Is there a way to get an

    error
    > log similar to an apache or tomcat?

    you could add a SoapExtension to do tracing to a file. Google for
    SoapExtension and you will find beaucoup examples.

    > Funny thing is, the Java people tell me they connect via SOAP, the web log
    > tells me the connections use POST. Is that normal?

    No. The log is probably right.

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], May 18, 2004

  3. Dino Chiesa [Microsoft] wrote:
    > "Matthias Lilke" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi!
    >>I am deploying a VB WebService in turn running a FoxPro DLL. On the other
    >>side, a Java App using Axis 1.1 requests information.

    > I don't know anything about FoxPro.

    I don'T think the Fox is guilty of anything, just wanted to clarify that
    FoxPro writes the XML not .net.

    >>Once or twice a week the service stops responding. Restarting the IIS
    >>doesn't help, the whole box needs to be restarted. I found nothing in the
    >>event log. The only clues I have are from the web server log. There is
    >>nothing out of the ordinary. c-ip and s-ip are always the same, the

    > request
    >
    >>always goes to the same asmx. The only difference is the return code (and
    >>the bytes transmitted).

    > a 500 error is an app error on the server side. Have you crashed ASP.NET ?
    > Is there possibly a memory leak?

    I do indeed think aspwp.exe crashed. The question is why! The job runs
    on an half hour schedule´, transmitting about 30 requests. The
    webservice server is dedicated to this one task (its a P4 1.7) so I
    don't think we're talking about a too heavy work load either. The 500
    error just comes sometimes an goes away after a few requests, but mostly
    the 500 message go on indefinately until the machine is restarted.
    Restarting just the IIS doesn't help either. That does point to asp.net.
    I don't see an 'application hung' or anything like that in the eventlog
    however. We are investigating the possibility of a memoryleak, but the
    service runs for weeks at a time without a hitch, then it crashes twice
    in one day.

    >>I'm not dot net crack, adding event log capabilites or something along

    > those
    >
    >>lines are an absolute very, very last resort. Is there a way to get an

    > error
    >
    >>log similar to an apache or tomcat?

    > you could add a SoapExtension to do tracing to a file. Google for
    > SoapExtension and you will find beaucoup examples.

    I did find an article on msdn
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...bServicesProtocolsSoapExtensionClassTopic.asp)
    unfortunately it assumes I'm a webservice crack! The example reads
    great, but we still have to figure out how to call it during the process
    and where.

    >>Funny thing is, the Java people tell me they connect via SOAP, the web log
    >>tells me the connections use POST. Is that normal?

    > No. The log is probably right.

    In other words, instead of an ...80 POST /mis.asmx... I should be
    getting a ...80 SOAP /mis.asmx... in the log file?

    Thanks for your help thus far!! It's greatly appreciated!

    Matthias Lilke, May 19, 2004
  4. Matthias Lilke

    Patrice Guest

    AFAIK, SOAP is a specification that describes the *content* of the HTTP
    request. It 's normal to still see this as incoming HTTP requests (carrying
    SOAP conforming *content*).

    Nothing special in the IIS Log (do you see a 500 status code) ?. Nothing in
    the Windows log ? You may want to add a global error handlder in your
    webservice that would mail you encountered errors...

    Patrice

    "Matthias Lilke" <> a écrit dans le message de

    > Dino Chiesa [Microsoft] wrote:
    > > "Matthias Lilke" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi!
    > >>I am deploying a VB WebService in turn running a FoxPro DLL. On the

    other
    > >>side, a Java App using Axis 1.1 requests information.

    > > I don't know anything about FoxPro.
    > >

    > I don'T think the Fox is guilty of anything, just wanted to clarify that
    > FoxPro writes the XML not .net.
    >

    > >>Once or twice a week the service stops responding. Restarting the IIS
    > >>doesn't help, the whole box needs to be restarted. I found nothing in

    the
    > >>event log. The only clues I have are from the web server log. There is
    > >>nothing out of the ordinary. c-ip and s-ip are always the same, the

    > > request
    > >
    > >>always goes to the same asmx. The only difference is the return code

    (and
    > >>the bytes transmitted).

    > > a 500 error is an app error on the server side. Have you crashed

    ASP.NET ?
    > > Is there possibly a memory leak?
    > >

    > I do indeed think aspwp.exe crashed. The question is why! The job runs
    > on an half hour schedule´, transmitting about 30 requests. The
    > webservice server is dedicated to this one task (its a P4 1.7) so I
    > don't think we're talking about a too heavy work load either. The 500
    > error just comes sometimes an goes away after a few requests, but mostly
    > the 500 message go on indefinately until the machine is restarted.
    > Restarting just the IIS doesn't help either. That does point to asp.net.
    > I don't see an 'application hung' or anything like that in the eventlog
    > however. We are investigating the possibility of a memoryleak, but the
    > service runs for weeks at a time without a hitch, then it crashes twice
    > in one day.
    > >

    > >>I'm not dot net crack, adding event log capabilites or something along

    > > those
    > >
    > >>lines are an absolute very, very last resort. Is there a way to get an

    > > error
    > >
    > >>log similar to an apache or tomcat?

    > > you could add a SoapExtension to do tracing to a file. Google for
    > > SoapExtension and you will find beaucoup examples.
    > >

    > I did find an article on msdn

    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html
    /frlrfSystemWebServicesProtocolsSoapExtensionClassTopic.asp)

    Patrice, May 19, 2004
  5. if you have a memory leak in your asp.net app, and IIS (or ASP.neT) has
    forcibly restarted the app, you will get an event in the computer's event
    log. (Asp.NET has a feature where it will restart your app if it behaves
    poorly).

    You can also use Task Manager, or something more involved like perfmon, to
    check or monitor memory usage and other metrics.

    I agree the SoapTraceExtension is not a checkbox solution. In other words
    you have to add code to your app. Once you get it running it is pretty
    simple.

    "Patrice" <> wrote in message
    > AFAIK, SOAP is a specification that describes the *content* of the HTTP
    > request. It 's normal to still see this as incoming HTTP requests

    (carrying
    > SOAP conforming *content*).

    yes, .
    ASP.NET supports, out of the box, 3 different modes for tickling
    webservices: HttpPost, HttpGet, and HttpSoap. All use Http. You'll note
    that As a result there is some unfortunate fuzziness and confusion about
    POST versus SOAP versus HTTP. In actual fact if you are sending SOAP to an
    ASMX endpoint, you are probably sending it via HTTP POST. So the HttpSoap
    protocol name ought to be HttpPostSoap. Check this article for some
    background on the issue.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/e...nconfigurationoptionsforaspnetwebservices.asp

    So when the original poster said "they said they connect via SOAP but my
    logs indicate POST", it is possible to be both.

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], May 19, 2004
  6. Hi Patrice,
    thanks for clarifying the SOAP request thing. I thought SOAP was a
    different kind of protocol...
    I do get 500 errors in the web log but nothing I can find in Windows or
    Eventlogs.
    I was hinted to look for soap extension which I did and I found this
    article
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...bServicesProtocolsSoapExtensionClassTopic.asp)
    but I'm still trying to make heads and tails out of it.

    Matthias Lilke, May 21, 2004
  7. Thanks Dino,
    I'm still working on the extension, but it'll get there! I can't find
    anyting in the event log about IIS or aspwp restarting. The only thing I
    have is the 500 in the IIS log.
    I'm starting to think the DB connection is somehow at fault. If it is
    lost, the FoxPro core of the WS crashes taking the WS along for the
    ride. It would make sense that the IIS only recognizes the error as a
    general 500.

    Matthias Lilke, May 21, 2004
  8. you could try judiciously applying Try...Catch... clauses to find the
    source of the error.
    This will catch any exceptions and allow you to log an error, fire a trace
    event, modify the response, or whatever.

    Defensive programming !

    -D

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], May 21, 2004
  9. Matthias Lilke

    Patrice Guest

    It confirms you have an a runtime error in your service. Now you could add a
    global errror handler so that each error is reported with its details (in a
    usual app it can be done in global.asax).

    Patrice, May 24, 2004