500 error running asp on a virtual directory that runs asp.net with no errors

Rocio

I do not understand why. I am running perfectly well asp.net on a
virtual directory, but if I put a simple asp file such as this, and
named it foo.asp, and try to run it from this virtual directory, I get
the 500 error:

<%
Response.Write("hello")

%>

Any ideas why? I check the Properties of this virtual directory, and
under The Virtual Directory tab, Configuration button, App Mappings
tab, I can see .asp listed pointing to
C:\WINNT\System32\inetsrv\asp.dll . If I look at this folder the dll
exists.

I'm running windows 2000 professional.
But I found the same problem in another computer running Windows 2003
server, IIS 6.0

any ideas???