64-bit java app on 32-bit jvm?

Anthony J. Biacco

I'm compiling java apps with a new 64-bit jvm (amd64 for Xeon)
(previously compiled under 32-bit jvm). I intend to put it on 4 tomcat
servers, 2 run a 32-bit jvm (i386), 2 run a 64-bit jvm (amd64 for
Xeon).
Will the now-64-bit app run fine on the 32-bit jvm's without
modification?

Thanx,

-Tony

Frank Langelage

Anthony said:
I'm compiling java apps with a new 64-bit jvm (amd64 for Xeon)
(previously compiled under 32-bit jvm). I intend to put it on 4 tomcat
servers, 2 run a 32-bit jvm (i386), 2 run a 64-bit jvm (amd64 for
Xeon).
Will the now-64-bit app run fine on the 32-bit jvm's without
modification?

Thanx,

-Tony

Yes.
The byte code is the same for 64 an 32 bit.

Mark Rafn

Anthony J. Biacco said:
I'm compiling java apps with a new 64-bit jvm (amd64 for Xeon)

you don't compile with a jvm, you compile with a compiler. Well, that
compiler runs in a jvm (usually), but it doesn't matter.
Will the now-64-bit app run fine on the 32-bit jvm's without
modification?

If it's a pure java app, it's not specific to 32-bit or 64-bit machines. The
bytecode in class files is the same regardless of where you intend to run it.
A "64-bit VM" may optimize certain operations differently, and may have
access to more memory, but the compiled bytecode is the same.

If you've got JNI or other non-Java code in your app, then it may be
platform-specific.