64-bit Ruby on Solaris - solved

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Berger, Daniel, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. All,

    <snippage>

    > gcc-3.3.2 has a number of fixes for the sparc platform
    > Hugh

    Indeed.

    The solution ultimately seems to be: upgrade to gcc 3.3.2, because it
    worked after I did that. In addition I set CC to 'gcc -m64
    -mcpu=ultrasparc', but left CFLAGS and LDFLAGS unset. Oh, and use Sun's
    ld, not GNU's.

    Hugh, to answer your earlier question, I had made sure to point to
    /usr/ccs first in my path. I was just griping in general about the ld
    hell I've entered by building some thing's with binutils, and others
    with Sun's utils.

    Guy, thank you very much for putting up with me while I stumbled through
    this!

    Now, to benchmark!

    Regards,

    Dan
    Berger, Daniel, Nov 3, 2003

  2. On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Berger, Daniel wrote:

    > Hugh, to answer your earlier question, I had made sure to point to
    > /usr/ccs first in my path. I was just griping in general about the ld

    I'm fairly sure I didn't mention that! I did ask which version of
    binutils and GCC you were trying with when you got the failures.

    > hell I've entered by building some thing's with binutils, and others
    > with Sun's utils.

    My experience is that building gnu things with gnu tools generally
    works better, but this is not always desirable. And sometimes it
    feels endless :).
    [...]
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dan