64-bit Sparc laptop

Mr. Miguel

John P Davis said:
If you are a Solaris on SPARC user, you might want to know that
Tadpole is running a drawing on its websit, www.tadpolecomputer.com,
for one of its new 64-bit SPARC laptops.

John Davis

I'm just curious, I noticed that they run at about 600mhz. How do they
compare with a 32bit 2.0ghz? Can a 2.0ghz emulate 64bit arithmetic faster
than a 600mhz can do it? What about other tasks like loading up programs and
stuff like that? Does it perform like a 600mhz 32bit computer or is it
faster?

Akop Pogosian

I'm just curious, I noticed that they run at about 600mhz. How do they
compare with a 32bit 2.0ghz? Can a 2.0ghz emulate 64bit arithmetic faster
than a 600mhz can do it? What about other tasks like loading up programs and
stuff like that? Does it perform like a 600mhz 32bit computer or is it
faster?

According to the published SPEC CPU2000 scores, UltraSPARC IIe is much
slower than the current 32-bit AMD or Intel processors. Top speed is
not the reason to buy these machines.

Alan Coopersmith

||> If you are a Solaris on SPARC user, you might want to know that
|> Tadpole is running a drawing on its websit, www.tadpolecomputer.com,
|> for one of its new 64-bit SPARC laptops.
|>
|> John Davis
|
|I'm just curious, I noticed that they run at about 600mhz. How do they
|compare with a 32bit 2.0ghz?

It depends. Not all 2.0ghz 32bit chips run at the same speed.
Comparing clock speeds across architecture families is somewhat
meaningless (and often even across different models in the same
family - a 2.0 ghz P3 isn't the same speed as a 2.0ghz P4 for example).

|What about other tasks like loading up programs and stuff like that?

That's far more dependent on your I/O system - just about any modern
CPU is faster than the disk -> RAM loading process.

Of course, the main point of these is they will run SPARC software.
No new 32-bit notebook you can buy at any speed will do that. (You
might find some old 32-bit SPARC laptops used, but they won't run 64-bit
SPARC software.)

davehinz

In comp.unix.admin Alan Coopersmith said:
"Mr. Miguel" <[email protected]> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
|I'm just curious, I noticed that they run at about 600mhz. How do they
|compare with a 32bit 2.0ghz?
It depends. Not all 2.0ghz 32bit chips run at the same speed.
Comparing clock speeds across architecture families is somewhat
meaningless (and often even across different models in the same
family - a 2.0 ghz P3 isn't the same speed as a 2.0ghz P4 for example).

....and a 1Ghz G4 does some things better than a 2GHz P4. And on and on.
Clock speed is about as useful in measuring a CPU performance, as
engine RPM is to measuring horsepower of an engine. Tells you how
fast it's ticking over, but not how much it's doing per cycle.

Dave Hinz