    I installed 64bit Eclipse on my Win7 machine. Can I still choose 32bit
    JRE to build my source and as run time environment?

    Thanks.

    Jack, Oct 27, 2010

  2. Jack

    Lew Guest

    On 10/27/2010 01:03 AM, Jack wrote:
    > I installed 64bit Eclipse on my Win7 machine. Can I still choose 32bit
    > JRE to build my source and as run time environment?

    It's irrelevant whether you compile with 32- or 64-bit versions; the result is
    the same.

    You can tell Eclipse about any and all JVMs you've installed, and associate
    any project with any of those JVMs.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Oct 27, 2010

  3. On 27.10.2010 18:45, Wayne wrote:
    > On 10/27/2010 7:54 AM, Lew wrote:
    >> On 10/27/2010 01:03 AM, Jack wrote:
    >>> I installed 64bit Eclipse on my Win7 machine. Can I still choose 32bit
    >>> JRE to build my source and as run time environment?

    >> It's irrelevant whether you compile with 32- or 64-bit versions; the result is the same.
    >>
    >> You can tell Eclipse about any and all JVMs you've installed, and associate any
    >> project with any of those JVMs.

    > This is true only in theory. On Windows 7 on an x64 machine, the 64-bit JDK won't
    > work well with Eclipse. (I haven't tried this recently though, so YMMV.)

    Why? What issues did you have?

    > Also, the JDK installer won't offer to install Java DB; you need to find the
    > separate installer for that.

    .... if you need JavaDB.

    Cheers

    robert

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    Robert Klemme, Oct 27, 2010
  4. Jack

    Lew Guest

    Wayne wrote:
    > Also, the JDK installer won't offer to install Java DB; you need to find the
    > separate installer for that.

    I have not experienced that. I've installed 64-bit Java a number of
    times and it's always included JavaDB. I have not tried this on
    Windows 7, though.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Oct 27, 2010
  5. Lew <> wrote:
    > Wayne wrote:
    >> Also, the JDK installer won't offer to install Java DB; you need to find the
    >> separate installer for that.

    > I have not experienced that. I've installed 64-bit Java a number of
    > times and it's always included JavaDB. I have not tried this on
    > Windows 7, though.

    JavaDB, Windows 7 and "not install" ring a "deja vu"-bell in me. There
    was a thread about it some time ago, iirc started by Roedy.

    Can't test myself, for lack of both, Windows 7 and a 64bit processor.

    Andreas Leitgeb, Oct 27, 2010