77,000 and still counting - unbelievable

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Dec 30, 2004.

  1. I'm posting this message to all of the groups I frequent, in hopes that it
    might make a difference.

    The tradgedy that is happening in Asia right now, due to the quake and
    subsequent tsunami, is something that I've been trying to comprehend for the
    past several days. I'm trying to fathom the number of people and families
    who were here, on this earth, just last week and are now gone. I'm trying
    to grasp the number of people who've lost loved ones and still don't know if
    they are alive or dead. I'm thinking of the next several weeks and months,
    when more people are definitely going to die of hunger and disease from the
    aftermath of this event. I think about the total number of people that live
    in the five cities surrounding my home...and how the number is smaller than
    those that have already died. I'm completely overwhelmed by it.

    I also think about how many people on this planet are currently reading
    these newsgroups and how we could make a small dent in the suffering if we
    all contribute even a little bit. Personally, I've donated to the Red Cross
    International Disaster Fund ( http://www.redcross.org )...mainly because its
    the one I know. I am asking everyone who reads this to contribute
    *something* to any organization that is providing assistance to the people
    affected by this horror. Feel free to reply to this message with links to
    other organizations raising money for the victims.

    My heart just aches right now for all those people going through what must
    be pure hell right now...knowing that its going to get worse before it gets
    better. I hope we can all take 10 minutes out of our discussions, flamings
    and debates to go make an online donation that could just save the life of
    someone's child.

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Dec 30, 2004

  2. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:01:01 -0500, Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.
    <> wrote:

    > I'm posting this message to all of the groups I frequent, in hopes that
    > it
    > might make a difference.

    Agreed, Tina. For those who care to read witness accounts, here's a link:

    http://www.corporatemofo.com/stories/041229earthquake2.htm

    I recommend reading it - it's not an easy read. But it's important to be
    aware of what our neighbors across the globe are dealing with. And do what
    you can to help.

    Neal, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. scribbled in the mud:

    > I am asking everyone who reads this to contribute
    > *something* to any organization that is providing assistance to the people
    > affected by this horror.

    Way ahead of you.

    --
    D?
    If it ain't broken fix it anyway.

    Duende, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    C.W. Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I also think about how many people on this planet are currently reading
    >these newsgroups and how we could make a small dent in the suffering if we
    >all contribute even a little bit. Personally, I've donated to the Red Cross
    >International Disaster Fund ( http://www.redcross.org )...mainly because its
    >the one I know. I am asking everyone who reads this to contribute
    >*something* to any organization that is providing assistance to the people
    >affected by this horror. Feel free to reply to this message with links to
    >other organizations raising money for the victims.

    I heard, over the radio, that the best organizations to donate to are
    two of the main local organizations in that area. The names escape me
    right now though but the point was that those organizations are closer
    to the stricken areas and that the organizations will be able to get
    supplies there faster than the US Red Cross agencies. Plus the side
    angle of that the organizations will purchase most of hte supplies in
    that area so help those affected country's economy a little bit that
    way.

    Like you - I have already donated to the local Red Cross. I donated
    before hearing the radio broadcast about more local based
    organizations though ... at the time the estimated death count was the
    same as the population of my home town area. Unreal ... and I agree,
    very tragic event that happened to those countries.

    Carol

    C.W., Dec 30, 2004
  5. Passed 80,000 actually.

    Years back when I did a Geology course we were told that the Maximum
    earthquake magnitude couldn't be more than 8.0. This time we got a 9.0 !

    I thought I would never live to see this!

    Rastin

    --
    Rastin Mehr
    rmd Studio http://www.rmdStudio.com

    Rastin Mehr | rmd Studio, Dec 30, 2004
  6. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    quiqueg Guest

    "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." <> wrote in

    > The tradgedy that is happening in Asia right now, due to the quake and
    > subsequent tsunami, is something that I've been trying to comprehend
    > for the past several days.

    me too, to no avail. To think to one hundred thousand or more casualties,
    not to speak about the millions who are without a home, simply is out of
    my reach, I'm afraid.

    I chose Medecins Sans Frontieres, an international NGO that has already
    moved its forces from malaysia and indonesia to the striken areas. A drop
    in the sea (no pun intended) but oh, well.

    Here in Italy they have set up, besides the usual bank accounts, an
    unique telehpone number for all mobile operators (we have 4). You message
    the number and an Euro is deducted from your credit and donated - no
    taxes nor profit - 9M euros (about 12,5 M $) have been donated so far,
    and growing.

    The donations on Amazon are growing by the minute.

    I am also spamming <eg> a message from a guy who's actually there, and
    works in tourism, to my friends who work in media and news.

    Abridged and roughly translated it says that donations may well cover the
    immediate emergency and expenses, but the most important thing is that
    people do not forget the countries affected by the tsunami almost
    entirely live on tourism, and understand that only a few places have
    suffered damages. So, withdrawing a reservation now for next summer means
    to cut vital funds on people that need them and on really fragile
    economies that have had little more than the tourism to gain an
    acceptable (to their standards, surely not to ours) life standard.

    And from what I heard from some TOs, people are - now - withdrawing their
    reservations from say eastern thailand or northern india - which is more
    or less like saying that I cancel my trip to NYC because there has been
    an eartquake in Los Angeles...

    the pros and cons of globalization, I guess.

    --
    ho cambiato e-mail: aggiorna i Worm sul tuo PC

    quiqueg, Dec 30, 2004
  7. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Lois Guest

    "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." wrote:
    : The tradgedy that is happening in Asia right now, due to the quake
    and
    : subsequent tsunami, is something that I've been trying to
    comprehend for the
    : past several days.

    I don't think we can comprehend it.

    : I also think about how many people on this planet are currently
    reading
    : these newsgroups and how we could make a small dent in the
    suffering if we
    : all contribute even a little bit. Personally, I've donated to the
    Red Cross
    : International Disaster Fund ( http://www.redcross.org )...mainly
    because its
    : the one I know. I am asking everyone who reads this to contribute
    : *something* to any organization that is providing assistance to the
    people
    : affected by this horror. Feel free to reply to this message with
    links to
    : other organizations raising money for the victims.

    Thank you for posting this. Some of us don't have a lot to give, but
    when I look around at my home with everything I need, I realize how
    much I have. As you said, if each of us gives even a little money,
    it'll add up to a lot.

    A couple more links (from another group):

    http://www.worldvision.org/
    Direct link to the Tsunami Relief page:
    http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?c=fvKVLbMVIwG&b=277370&lid=tsunami_donate&lpos=main1text

    http://www.oxfam.org/eng/programs_emer_asia.htm
    Links to Oxfam sites for specific countries are in the column at the
    right.

    Lois

    Lois, Dec 30, 2004
  8. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Josh Guest

    > Passed 80,000 actually.
    >
    > Years back when I did a Geology course we were told that the Maximum
    > earthquake magnitude couldn't be more than 8.0. This time we got a 9.0 !
    >
    > I thought I would never live to see this!

    The earth is now 1" off of its normal axis and daylight has shortened by 3
    millionths of one second.

    Josh, Dec 30, 2004
  9. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Josh Guest

    http://www.google.com/tsunami_relief.html Disaster information links.

    http://tsunamihelp.blogspot.com/ Googles blog containing plenty of info.

    Josh, Dec 30, 2004
  10. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Josh Guest

    ! Lots of help links !

    Action Against Hunger
    247 West 37th Street, Suite 1201
    New York, NY 10018
    212-967-7800
    http://www.aah-usa.org

    American Jewish World Service
    45 West 36th Street, 10th Floor
    New York, NY 10018
    800-889-7146
    http://www.ajws.org

    ADRA International
    12501 Old Columbus Pike
    Silver Spring, MD 20904
    800-424-2372
    http://www.adra.org

    American Friends Service Committee
    AFSC Crisis Fund
    1501 Cherry Street
    Philadelphia, PA
    215-241-7000
    http://www.afsc.org

    American Red Cross
    International Response Fund
    PO Box 37243
    Washington, DC 20013
    800-HELP NOW
    http://www.redcross.org

    Care USA
    151 Ellis Street, NE
    Atlanta, GA 30303-2440
    404-681-2552, 800-521-CARE
    http://www.careusa.org/

    Catholic Relief Services
    PO Box 17090
    Baltimore, MD 21203-7090
    800-736-3467
    http://www.catholicrelief.org

    Christian Children's Fund
    2851 Emerywood Parkway
    Richmond VA 23289-3725
    1-800-776-6767
    http://www.christianchildrensfund.org

    Church World Service
    PO Box 968
    Elkhart, IN 46515
    800-297-1516
    http://www.churchworldservice.org

    Direct Relief International
    27 South La Patera Lane
    Santa Barbara, CA 93117
    805-964-4767
    http://www.directrelief.org

    Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres
    PO Box 2247
    New York, NY 10116-2247
    888-392-0392
    http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

    International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
    PO Box 372
    CH-1211 Geneva 19
    Switzerland
    41-22-730-4222
    http://www.ifrc.org

    International Medical Corps
    11500 West Olympic Blvd., Suite 506
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    800-481-4462
    http://www.imcworldwide.org

    International Orthodox Christian Charities
    PO Box 630225
    Baltimore, MD 21263-0225
    877-803-4622
    http://www.iocc.org

    Joint Distribution Committee
    JDC: South Asia Tsunami Relief
    Box 321
    847A Second Avenue
    New York, NY 10017
    212.885.0867
    http://www.jdc.org

    Lutheran World Relief
    PO Box 17061
    Baltimore MD 21298-9832
    800-597-5972
    http://www.lwr.org

    MAP International
    2200 Glynco Parkway
    PO Box 215000
    Brunswick, GA 3121-5000
    800-225-8550
    http://www.map.org

    Mercy Corps
    PO Box 2669
    Portland, OR 97208
    800-852-2100
    http://www.mercycorps.org

    Northwest Medical Teams
    PO Box 10
    Portland, OR 97207-0010
    503-624-1000
    http://www.nwmedicalteams.org

    Relief International
    11965 Venice Blvd. .405
    Los Angeles, CA 90066
    800-572-3332
    http://www.ri.org

    Operation USA
    8320 Melrose Avenue, Ste. 200
    Los Angles, CA 90069
    800-678-7255
    http://www.opusa.org

    Oxfam America
    Asia Earthquake Fund
    P.O. Box 1211
    Albert Lea, MN 56007-1211
    800-77-Oxfam
    http://www.oxfamamerica.org

    Save the Children
    Asia Earthquake/Tidal Wave Relief Fund
    54 Wilton Road
    Westport, CT 06880
    800-728-3843
    www.savethechildren.org

    US Fund for UNICEF
    333 East 38th Street
    New York, NY 10016
    800-FOR-KIDS
    www.unicefusa.org

    World Concern
    19303 Fremont Ave. N
    Seattle, WA 98133
    800-755-5022
    http://www.worldconcern.org

    World Vision
    PO Box 70288
    Tacoma, Washington 98481-0288
    888-56-CHILD
    http://www.worldvision.org/

    Josh, Dec 30, 2004
  11. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Lois scribbled in the mud:

    > Thank you for posting this. Some of us don't have a lot to give, but
    > when I look around at my home with everything I need, I realize how
    > much I have. As you said, if each of us gives even a little money,
    > it'll add up to a lot.
    >
    > A couple more links (from another group):
    >
    > http://www.worldvision.org/
    > Direct link to the Tsunami Relief page:
    > http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?c=fvKVLbMVIwG&b=277370&lid=tsunami_don
    > ate&lpos=main1text
    >
    > http://www.oxfam.org/eng/programs_emer_asia.htm
    > Links to Oxfam sites for specific countries are in the column at the
    > right.

    This is also a good one.
    http://www.adra.org/donation.html

    Duende, Dec 30, 2004
  12. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    C.W. Guest

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:09:37 -0800, "Lois"
    <> wrote:

    >A couple more links (from another group):
    >
    >http://www.worldvision.org/
    >Direct link to the Tsunami Relief page:
    >http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?c=fvKVLbMVIwG&b=277370&lid=tsunami_donate&lpos=main1text
    >
    >http://www.oxfam.org/eng/programs_emer_asia.htm
    >Links to Oxfam sites for specific countries are in the column at the
    >right.

    I am pretty dang certain that Oxfam was one of the two groups
    mentioned in that radio program I heard a day or two ago. Thanks Lois
    for triggering my mind over here on at least one name ...

    Carol

    C.W., Dec 30, 2004
  13. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:20:24 -0500, Josh <> wrote:

    > The earth is now 1" off of its normal axis and daylight has shortened by
    > 3
    > millionths of one second.

    And I just shait my pants!

    Will it ever stop??

    Neal, Dec 30, 2004
  14. In article <>,
    "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." <> wrote:

    > I'm posting this message to all of the groups I frequent, in hopes that it
    > might make a difference.
    >
    > The tradgedy that is happening in Asia right now, due to the quake and
    > subsequent tsunami, is something that I've been trying to comprehend for the
    > past several days. I'm trying to fathom the number of people and families
    > who were here, on this earth, just last week and are now gone. I'm trying
    > to grasp the number of people who've lost loved ones and still don't know if
    > they are alive or dead. I'm thinking of the next several weeks and months,
    > when more people are definitely going to die of hunger and disease from the
    > aftermath of this event. I think about the total number of people that live
    > in the five cities surrounding my home...and how the number is smaller than
    > those that have already died. I'm completely overwhelmed by it.
    >
    > I also think about how many people on this planet are currently reading
    > these newsgroups and how we could make a small dent in the suffering if we
    > all contribute even a little bit. Personally, I've donated to the Red Cross
    > International Disaster Fund ( http://www.redcross.org )...mainly because its
    > the one I know. I am asking everyone who reads this to contribute
    > *something* to any organization that is providing assistance to the people
    > affected by this horror. Feel free to reply to this message with links to
    > other organizations raising money for the victims.
    >
    > My heart just aches right now for all those people going through what must
    > be pure hell right now...knowing that its going to get worse before it gets
    > better. I hope we can all take 10 minutes out of our discussions, flamings
    > and debates to go make an online donation that could just save the life of
    > someone's child.
    >
    > --Tina

    I hate to rain on anyones parade, but as bad as that was, here are some
    daily figures worldwide to gain perspective and no one is getting all
    weepy eyed about this:

    The worldwide daily death toll from HIV averages more than 8,000
    individuals.
    http://ww3.peerviewpress.com/peerview.nsf/release/192002_AIDS.html

    Every day 24,000 people die from hunger and related causes according to
    United Nations figures
    http://salt.claretianpubs.org/stats/2003/10/sh0310.html

    This one is more a thought exercise, but it could be correct.

    146,000 people per day
    http://www.intellectualloafing.com/activitiesfolder/estimationqsfolder/us
    deathrate.htm

    Robert Morien, Dec 30, 2004
  15. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Pistol Grip Guest

    In article <>,
    "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." <> wrote:

    > I'm posting this message to all of the groups I frequent, in hopes that it
    > might make a difference.
    >
    > The tradgedy that is happening in Asia right now, due to the quake and
    > subsequent tsunami, is something that I've been trying to comprehend for the
    > past several days. I'm trying to fathom the number of people and families
    > who were here, on this earth, just last week and are now gone. I'm trying
    > to grasp the number of people who've lost loved ones and still don't know if
    > they are alive or dead. I'm thinking of the next several weeks and months,
    > when more people are definitely going to die of hunger and disease from the
    > aftermath of this event. I think about the total number of people that live
    > in the five cities surrounding my home...and how the number is smaller than
    > those that have already died. I'm completely overwhelmed by it.
    >
    > I also think about how many people on this planet are currently reading
    > these newsgroups and how we could make a small dent in the suffering if we
    > all contribute even a little bit. Personally, I've donated to the Red Cross
    > International Disaster Fund ( http://www.redcross.org )...mainly because its
    > the one I know. I am asking everyone who reads this to contribute
    > *something* to any organization that is providing assistance to the people
    > affected by this horror. Feel free to reply to this message with links to
    > other organizations raising money for the victims.
    >
    > My heart just aches right now for all those people going through what must
    > be pure hell right now...knowing that its going to get worse before it gets
    > better. I hope we can all take 10 minutes out of our discussions, flamings
    > and debates to go make an online donation that could just save the life of
    > someone's child.
    >
    > --Tina

    Funny.
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/10/29/news/toll.html

    Lets see some maudlin tear shedding over what *YOUR* country's
    responsible for.
    STFU and play 'compassionate humanitarian' elsewhere - you're stinking
    up the NG's with your bullshit.

    Pistol Grip, Dec 30, 2004
  16. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Steve Sobol Guest

    Pistol Grip wrote:

    > Funny.
    > http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/10/29/news/toll.html
    >
    > Lets see some maudlin tear shedding over what *YOUR* country's
    > responsible for.

    The US has done a lot of stuff I don't approve of. Are you implying Tina does,
    just because she lives here? I live here and I still think the people running
    the country are idiots. I vote against them, but there are a lot of US citizens
    who choose to remain uninformed and/or ignorant and just vote for whoever makes
    the best sales pitch, so my votes don't do a lot of good.

    > STFU and play 'compassionate humanitarian' elsewhere - you're stinking
    > up the NG's with your bullshit.

    How about not being a fuckhead? How about not generalizing, Einstein?

    **SJS (I love my country, I just can't stand the people running it.)

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

    Steve Sobol, Dec 30, 2004
  17. In article <>,
    says...
    > I'm posting this message to all of the groups I frequent, in hopes that it
    > might make a difference.

    Already ahead of you. I've given a significant proportion of what I
    raised from this year's Great North Run to http://www.dec.org.uk/ -
    specifically to the tsunami fund.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 30, 2004
  18. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    C.W. Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:50:36 GMT, Pistol Grip
    <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >Lets see some maudlin tear shedding over what *YOUR* country's
    >responsible for.

    FWIW, I feel there is a difference between a natural disaster or "an
    act of God" that kills scores of people within a span of a few minutes
    versus a man-made disaster or act of war [which, as a sidenote, that
    study's figures does not try to imply that the number shared were
    people killed in one day].

    Not saying you don't have a point - as those are vistims in their own
    right, I agree - just perhaps shared it in the wrong thread of
    thought.

    Also dont' forget that some American citizens are trying to assist the
    Iraqi people ... even at the risk of their own lives based on just
    being American versus any consideration of _why_ they are there. For
    all you know OP and others in this thread may have donated to some
    organizations that are trying to help the Iraqi civilians in some
    capacity - which woudl weaken your criticism of the OP.

    Carol

    C.W., Dec 30, 2004
  19. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Viper Guest

    Why donate? They reported on the news that people are dressing up like
    releif workers and police and going through DEAD peoples pockets and luggage
    and taking cash and other valuables. Plus with all the cheating that area of
    the world does at PPC and PTRE sites and the jobs they have taken from the
    US they should have more than enough.

    Bush said the US may end up giving $1Billion!!! Couldnt the HOMELESS and
    POOR here in the USA use that?

    Viper, Dec 30, 2004
  20. Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

    Viper Guest

    Pistol Grip wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm posting this message to all of the groups I frequent, in hopes
    >> that it might make a difference.
    >>
    >> The tradgedy that is happening in Asia right now, due to the quake
    >> and subsequent tsunami, is something that I've been trying to
    >> comprehend for the past several days. I'm trying to fathom the
    >> number of people and families who were here, on this earth, just
    >> last week and are now gone. I'm trying to grasp the number of
    >> people who've lost loved ones and still don't know if they are alive
    >> or dead. I'm thinking of the next several weeks and months, when
    >> more people are definitely going to die of hunger and disease from
    >> the aftermath of this event. I think about the total number of
    >> people that live in the five cities surrounding my home...and how
    >> the number is smaller than those that have already died. I'm
    >> completely overwhelmed by it.
    >>
    >> I also think about how many people on this planet are currently
    >> reading these newsgroups and how we could make a small dent in the
    >> suffering if we all contribute even a little bit. Personally, I've
    >> donated to the Red Cross International Disaster Fund (
    >> http://www.redcross.org )...mainly because its the one I know. I am
    >> asking everyone who reads this to contribute *something* to any
    >> organization that is providing assistance to the people affected by
    >> this horror. Feel free to reply to this message with links to other
    >> organizations raising money for the victims.
    >>
    >> My heart just aches right now for all those people going through
    >> what must be pure hell right now...knowing that its going to get
    >> worse before it gets better. I hope we can all take 10 minutes out
    >> of our discussions, flamings and debates to go make an online
    >> donation that could just save the life of someone's child.
    >>
    >> --Tina

    > Funny.
    > http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/10/29/news/toll.html
    >
    > Lets see some maudlin tear shedding over what *YOUR* country's
    > responsible for.
    > STFU and play 'compassionate humanitarian' elsewhere - you're stinking
    > up the NG's with your bullshit.

    Thats from France thats only gave $135,000. Wheres all the cash they stole
    in the Oil For Food scam?

    Viper, Dec 30, 2004