77,000 and still counting - unbelievable

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

I'm posting this message to all of the groups I frequent, in hopes that it
might make a difference.

The tradgedy that is happening in Asia right now, due to the quake and
subsequent tsunami, is something that I've been trying to comprehend for the
past several days. I'm trying to fathom the number of people and families
who were here, on this earth, just last week and are now gone. I'm trying
to grasp the number of people who've lost loved ones and still don't know if
they are alive or dead. I'm thinking of the next several weeks and months,
when more people are definitely going to die of hunger and disease from the
aftermath of this event. I think about the total number of people that live
in the five cities surrounding my home...and how the number is smaller than
those that have already died. I'm completely overwhelmed by it.

I also think about how many people on this planet are currently reading
these newsgroups and how we could make a small dent in the suffering if we
all contribute even a little bit. Personally, I've donated to the Red Cross
International Disaster Fund ( http://www.redcross.org )...mainly because its
the one I know. I am asking everyone who reads this to contribute
*something* to any organization that is providing assistance to the people
affected by this horror. Feel free to reply to this message with links to
other organizations raising money for the victims.

My heart just aches right now for all those people going through what must
be pure hell right now...knowing that its going to get worse before it gets
better. I hope we can all take 10 minutes out of our discussions, flamings
and debates to go make an online donation that could just save the life of
someone's child.

--Tina

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. scribbled in the mud:
I am asking everyone who reads this to contribute
*something* to any organization that is providing assistance to the people
affected by this horror.

Way ahead of you.

C.W.

I also think about how many people on this planet are currently reading
these newsgroups and how we could make a small dent in the suffering if we
all contribute even a little bit. Personally, I've donated to the Red Cross
International Disaster Fund ( http://www.redcross.org )...mainly because its
the one I know. I am asking everyone who reads this to contribute
*something* to any organization that is providing assistance to the people
affected by this horror. Feel free to reply to this message with links to
other organizations raising money for the victims.

I heard, over the radio, that the best organizations to donate to are
two of the main local organizations in that area. The names escape me
right now though but the point was that those organizations are closer
to the stricken areas and that the organizations will be able to get
supplies there faster than the US Red Cross agencies. Plus the side
angle of that the organizations will purchase most of hte supplies in
that area so help those affected country's economy a little bit that
way.

Like you - I have already donated to the local Red Cross. I donated
before hearing the radio broadcast about more local based
organizations though ... at the time the estimated death count was the
same as the population of my home town area. Unreal ... and I agree,
very tragic event that happened to those countries.

Carol

Rastin Mehr | rmd Studio

Passed 80,000 actually.

Years back when I did a Geology course we were told that the Maximum
earthquake magnitude couldn't be more than 8.0. This time we got a 9.0 !

I thought I would never live to see this!

Rastin
I'm posting this message to all of the groups I frequent, in hopes that it
might make a difference.

quiqueg

The tradgedy that is happening in Asia right now, due to the quake and
subsequent tsunami, is something that I've been trying to comprehend
for the past several days.

me too, to no avail. To think to one hundred thousand or more casualties,
not to speak about the millions who are without a home, simply is out of
my reach, I'm afraid.

I chose Medecins Sans Frontieres, an international NGO that has already
moved its forces from malaysia and indonesia to the striken areas. A drop
in the sea (no pun intended) but oh, well.

Here in Italy they have set up, besides the usual bank accounts, an
unique telehpone number for all mobile operators (we have 4). You message
the number and an Euro is deducted from your credit and donated - no
taxes nor profit - 9M euros (about 12,5 M $) have been donated so far,
and growing.

The donations on Amazon are growing by the minute.

I am also spamming <eg> a message from a guy who's actually there, and
works in tourism, to my friends who work in media and news.

Abridged and roughly translated it says that donations may well cover the
immediate emergency and expenses, but the most important thing is that
people do not forget the countries affected by the tsunami almost
entirely live on tourism, and understand that only a few places have
suffered damages. So, withdrawing a reservation now for next summer means
to cut vital funds on people that need them and on really fragile
economies that have had little more than the tourism to gain an
acceptable (to their standards, surely not to ours) life standard.

And from what I heard from some TOs, people are - now - withdrawing their
reservations from say eastern thailand or northern india - which is more
or less like saying that I cancel my trip to NYC because there has been
an eartquake in Los Angeles...

the pros and cons of globalization, I guess.

Lois

:
: The tradgedy that is happening in Asia right now, due to the quake
and
: subsequent tsunami, is something that I've been trying to
comprehend for the
: past several days.

I don't think we can comprehend it.

: I also think about how many people on this planet are currently
reading
: these newsgroups and how we could make a small dent in the
suffering if we
: all contribute even a little bit. Personally, I've donated to the
Red Cross
: International Disaster Fund ( http://www.redcross.org )...mainly
because its
: the one I know. I am asking everyone who reads this to contribute
: *something* to any organization that is providing assistance to the
people
: affected by this horror. Feel free to reply to this message with
links to
: other organizations raising money for the victims.

Thank you for posting this. Some of us don't have a lot to give, but
when I look around at my home with everything I need, I realize how
much I have. As you said, if each of us gives even a little money,
it'll add up to a lot.

A couple more links (from another group):

http://www.worldvision.org/
Direct link to the Tsunami Relief page:
http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?c=fvKVLbMVIwG&b=277370&lid=tsunami_donate&lpos=main1text

http://www.oxfam.org/eng/programs_emer_asia.htm
Links to Oxfam sites for specific countries are in the column at the
right.

Lois

Josh

Passed 80,000 actually.
Years back when I did a Geology course we were told that the Maximum
earthquake magnitude couldn't be more than 8.0. This time we got a 9.0 !

I thought I would never live to see this!

The earth is now 1" off of its normal axis and daylight has shortened by 3
millionths of one second.

Josh

My heart just aches right now for all those people going through what must
be pure hell right now...knowing that its going to get worse before it gets
better. I hope we can all take 10 minutes out of our discussions, flamings
and debates to go make an online donation that could just save the life of
someone's child.

--Tina

http://www.google.com/tsunami_relief.html Disaster information links.

http://tsunamihelp.blogspot.com/ Googles blog containing plenty of info.

Josh

Action Against Hunger
247 West 37th Street, Suite 1201
New York, NY 10018
212-967-7800
http://www.aah-usa.org

American Jewish World Service
45 West 36th Street, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10018
800-889-7146
http://www.ajws.org

ADRA International
12501 Old Columbus Pike
Silver Spring, MD 20904
800-424-2372
http://www.adra.org

American Friends Service Committee
AFSC Crisis Fund
1501 Cherry Street
Philadelphia, PA
215-241-7000
http://www.afsc.org

American Red Cross
International Response Fund
PO Box 37243
Washington, DC 20013
800-HELP NOW
http://www.redcross.org

Care USA
151 Ellis Street, NE
Atlanta, GA 30303-2440
404-681-2552, 800-521-CARE
http://www.careusa.org/

Catholic Relief Services
PO Box 17090
Baltimore, MD 21203-7090
800-736-3467
http://www.catholicrelief.org

Christian Children's Fund
2851 Emerywood Parkway
Richmond VA 23289-3725
1-800-776-6767
http://www.christianchildrensfund.org

Church World Service
PO Box 968
Elkhart, IN 46515
800-297-1516
http://www.churchworldservice.org

Direct Relief International
27 South La Patera Lane
Santa Barbara, CA 93117
805-964-4767
http://www.directrelief.org

Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres
PO Box 2247
New York, NY 10116-2247
888-392-0392
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
PO Box 372
CH-1211 Geneva 19
Switzerland
41-22-730-4222
http://www.ifrc.org

International Medical Corps
11500 West Olympic Blvd., Suite 506
Los Angeles, CA 90064
800-481-4462
http://www.imcworldwide.org

International Orthodox Christian Charities
PO Box 630225
Baltimore, MD 21263-0225
877-803-4622
http://www.iocc.org

Joint Distribution Committee
JDC: South Asia Tsunami Relief
Box 321
847A Second Avenue
New York, NY 10017
212.885.0867
http://www.jdc.org

Lutheran World Relief
PO Box 17061
Baltimore MD 21298-9832
800-597-5972
http://www.lwr.org

MAP International
2200 Glynco Parkway
PO Box 215000
Brunswick, GA 3121-5000
800-225-8550
http://www.map.org

Mercy Corps
PO Box 2669
Portland, OR 97208
800-852-2100
http://www.mercycorps.org

Northwest Medical Teams
PO Box 10
Portland, OR 97207-0010
503-624-1000
http://www.nwmedicalteams.org

Relief International
11965 Venice Blvd. .405
Los Angeles, CA 90066
800-572-3332
http://www.ri.org

Operation USA
8320 Melrose Avenue, Ste. 200
Los Angles, CA 90069
800-678-7255
http://www.opusa.org

Oxfam America
Asia Earthquake Fund
P.O. Box 1211
Albert Lea, MN 56007-1211
800-77-Oxfam
http://www.oxfamamerica.org

Save the Children
Asia Earthquake/Tidal Wave Relief Fund
54 Wilton Road
Westport, CT 06880
800-728-3843
www.savethechildren.org

US Fund for UNICEF
333 East 38th Street
New York, NY 10016
800-FOR-KIDS
www.unicefusa.org

World Concern
19303 Fremont Ave. N
Seattle, WA 98133
800-755-5022
http://www.worldconcern.org

World Vision
PO Box 70288
Tacoma, Washington 98481-0288
888-56-CHILD
http://www.worldvision.org/

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Lois scribbled in the mud:
Thank you for posting this. Some of us don't have a lot to give, but
when I look around at my home with everything I need, I realize how
much I have. As you said, if each of us gives even a little money,
it'll add up to a lot.

A couple more links (from another group):

http://www.worldvision.org/
Direct link to the Tsunami Relief page:
http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?c=fvKVLbMVIwG&b=277370&lid=tsunami_don
ate&lpos=main1text

http://www.oxfam.org/eng/programs_emer_asia.htm
Links to Oxfam sites for specific countries are in the column at the
right.

This is also a good one.
http://www.adra.org/donation.html

C.W.

A couple more links (from another group):

http://www.worldvision.org/
Direct link to the Tsunami Relief page:
http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?c=fvKVLbMVIwG&b=277370&lid=tsunami_donate&lpos=main1text

http://www.oxfam.org/eng/programs_emer_asia.htm
Links to Oxfam sites for specific countries are in the column at the
right.

I am pretty dang certain that Oxfam was one of the two groups
mentioned in that radio program I heard a day or two ago. Thanks Lois
for triggering my mind over here on at least one name ...

Carol

Robert Morien

Tina - AffordableHOST said:
[...]

I hate to rain on anyones parade, but as bad as that was, here are some
daily figures worldwide to gain perspective and no one is getting all
weepy eyed about this:

The worldwide daily death toll from HIV averages more than 8,000
individuals.
http://ww3.peerviewpress.com/peerview.nsf/release/192002_AIDS.html

Every day 24,000 people die from hunger and related causes according to
United Nations figures
http://salt.claretianpubs.org/stats/2003/10/sh0310.html

This one is more a thought exercise, but it could be correct.

146,000 people per day
http://www.intellectualloafing.com/activitiesfolder/estimationqsfolder/us
deathrate.htm

Pistol Grip

Tina - AffordableHOST said:
[...]

Funny.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/10/29/news/toll.html

Lets see some maudlin tear shedding over what *YOUR* country's
responsible for.
STFU and play 'compassionate humanitarian' elsewhere - you're stinking
up the NG's with your bullshit.

Steve Sobol

Pistol said:
Funny.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/10/29/news/toll.html

Lets see some maudlin tear shedding over what *YOUR* country's
responsible for.

The US has done a lot of stuff I don't approve of. Are you implying Tina does,
just because she lives here? I live here and I still think the people running
the country are idiots. I vote against them, but there are a lot of US citizens
who choose to remain uninformed and/or ignorant and just vote for whoever makes
the best sales pitch, so my votes don't do a lot of good.
STFU and play 'compassionate humanitarian' elsewhere - you're stinking
up the NG's with your bullshit.

How about not being a fuckhead? How about not generalizing, Einstein?

**SJS (I love my country, I just can't stand the people running it.)

Hywel Jenkins

I'm posting this message to all of the groups I frequent, in hopes that it
might make a difference.

Already ahead of you. I've given a significant proportion of what I
raised from this year's Great North Run to http://www.dec.org.uk/ -
specifically to the tsunami fund.

C.W.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:50:36 GMT, Pistol Grip

[snip]
Lets see some maudlin tear shedding over what *YOUR* country's
responsible for.

FWIW, I feel there is a difference between a natural disaster or "an
act of God" that kills scores of people within a span of a few minutes
versus a man-made disaster or act of war [which, as a sidenote, that
study's figures does not try to imply that the number shared were
people killed in one day].

Not saying you don't have a point - as those are vistims in their own
right, I agree - just perhaps shared it in the wrong thread of
thought.

Also dont' forget that some American citizens are trying to assist the
Iraqi people ... even at the risk of their own lives based on just
being American versus any consideration of _why_ they are there. For
all you know OP and others in this thread may have donated to some
organizations that are trying to help the Iraqi civilians in some
capacity - which woudl weaken your criticism of the OP.

Carol

Viper

Why donate? They reported on the news that people are dressing up like
releif workers and police and going through DEAD peoples pockets and luggage
and taking cash and other valuables. Plus with all the cheating that area of
the world does at PPC and PTRE sites and the jobs they have taken from the
US they should have more than enough.

Bush said the US may end up giving $1Billion!!! Couldnt the HOMELESS and
POOR here in the USA use that?