_socket / SocketServer / Mandrake Linux problem / Python 2.3

Discussion in 'Python' started by Barry Sprajc, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. Barry Sprajc

    Barry Sprajc Guest

    Anybody run into trouble and find a solution importing 'socket'?

    I've rebuilt, and reinstalled, but cannot find a _socket.py, _socket.pyo, or
    _socket.pyc in
    the lib directory. ( I suspect that's what socket.py is looking for? )

    Thanks for any help.

    /barry sprajc

    Error below.....

    [root@rooster root]# python /usr/lib/python2.3/socket.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.3/socket.py", line 44, in ?
    import _socket
    ImportError: No module named _socket
    Barry Sprajc, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Barry> I've rebuilt, and reinstalled, but cannot find a _socket.py,
    Barry> _socket.pyo, or _socket.pyc in the lib directory. ( I suspect
    Barry> that's what socket.py is looking for? )

    Nope, it's looking for _socket.so, which you should find in
    ${prefix}/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/_socket.so.

    Skip
    Skip Montanaro, Aug 3, 2003