_TIME_

ramu

Hi,
Could you please let me know how to use _TIME_ macro with a
sample code?

Regards

Robert Gamble

Hi,
       Could you please let me know how to use _TIME_ macro with a
sample code?

Regards

It's __TIME__, with 4 underscores:

#include <stdio.h>

int main (void) {
puts(__TIME__);
return 0;

CBFalconer

Ian said:
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void) {
puts(__TIME__);
}

Reading the (easily available) standard is much faster. I.e:

6.10.8 Predefined macro names

[#1] The following macro names shall be defined by the
implementation:

.... snip ...

__TIME__ The time of translation of the source file: a
character string literal of the form "hh:mm:ss" as
in the time generated by the asctime function. If
the time of translation is not available, an
implementation-defined valid time shall be
supplied.

Some useful references about C:
<http://c-faq.com/> (C-faq)
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf> (C99)
<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/n869_txt.bz2> (C99, txt)
<http://www.dinkumware.com/c99.aspx> (C-library}
<http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:comp.lang.c:Introduction>

santosh

CBFalconer said:
Reading the (easily available) standard is much faster. I.e:

The Standard isn't easily available at all from the perspective of a
beginner. Even the existence of a Standard, it's Committee's website,
and the presence of public drafts is unknown to the vast majority of
newbies. Besides, the Standard document (or the draft) is _not_ a good
place for a newbie to seek help. He would be much better off with
almost any decent C book or tutorial.
6.10.8 Predefined macro names

[#1] The following macro names shall be defined by the
implementation:

... snip ...

__TIME__ The time of translation of the source file: a
character string literal of the form "hh:mm:ss" as
in the time generated by the asctime function. If
the time of translation is not available, an
implementation-defined valid time shall be
supplied.

This would be most opaque to someone just starting out with C. Terms
like "implementation", "translation", "character string
literal", "asctime", "implementation-defined valid time" etc., are
likely to be confusing at best.

<snip>

Richard

santosh said:
CBFalconer said:
[...]

very well said. There is hope for you yet.

CBFalconer

santosh said:
CBFalconer wrote:
.... snip ...

The Standard isn't easily available at all from the perspective
of a beginner. Even the existence of a Standard, it's Committee's
website, and the presence of public drafts is unknown to the vast
majority of newbies. Besides, the Standard document (or the draft)
is _not_ a good place for a newbie to seek help. He would be much
better off with almost any decent C book or tutorial.

That's why I attached a list of places to get such things, which
you snipped. Most newbies accessing Usenet have access to the WWW
system.

santosh

CBFalconer said:
That's why I attached a list of places to get such things, which
you snipped. Most newbies accessing Usenet have access to the WWW
system.

That still leaves unsolved the difficulty for a newbie of comprehending
the Standard's language. The C Standard is only accessible for someone
already fairly experienced with C (at least a year I would say), unless
the person were extraordinarily bright.

CBFalconer

santosh said:
That still leaves unsolved the difficulty for a newbie of
comprehending the Standard's language. The C Standard is only
accessible for someone already fairly experienced with C (at least
a year I would say), unless the person were extraordinarily bright.

Well, we definitely disagree here. :) Being fairly facile in
English is probably needed, though.