    Could you please let me know how to use _TIME_ macro with a
    sample code?

    Regards
    ramu, Aug 6, 2008

  2. ramu

    Ian Collins Guest

    ramu wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Could you please let me know how to use _TIME_ macro with a
    > sample code?

    #include <stdio.h>

    int main(void)
    {
    puts(__TIME__);

    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Aug 6, 2008

  3. On Aug 6, 6:49 pm, ramu <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >        Could you please let me know how to use _TIME_ macro with a
    > sample code?
    >
    > Regards

    It's __TIME__, with 4 underscores:

    #include <stdio.h>

    int main (void) {
    puts(__TIME__);
    return 0;

    Robert Gamble
    Robert Gamble, Aug 6, 2008
  4. ramu

    CBFalconer Guest

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > ramu wrote:
    >
    >> Could you please let me know how to use _TIME_ macro with a
    >> sample code?

    > #include <stdio.h>
    > int main(void) {
    > puts(__TIME__);
    > }

    Reading the (easily available) standard is much faster. I.e:

    6.10.8 Predefined macro names

    [#1] The following macro names shall be defined by the
    implementation:

    .... snip ...

    __TIME__ The time of translation of the source file: a
    character string literal of the form "hh:mm:ss" as
    in the time generated by the asctime function. If
    the time of translation is not available, an
    implementation-defined valid time shall be
    supplied.

    Some useful references about C:
    <http://c-faq.com/> (C-faq)
    <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf> (C99)
    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/n869_txt.bz2> (C99, txt)
    <http://www.dinkumware.com/c99.aspx> (C-library}
    <http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:comp.lang.c:Introduction>

    Try the download section.
    CBFalconer, Aug 7, 2008
  5. ramu

    santosh Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >> ramu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Could you please let me know how to use _TIME_ macro with a
    >>> sample code?

    >> #include <stdio.h>
    >> int main(void) {
    >> puts(__TIME__);
    >> }

    > Reading the (easily available) standard is much faster. I.e:

    The Standard isn't easily available at all from the perspective of a
    beginner. Even the existence of a Standard, it's Committee's website,
    and the presence of public drafts is unknown to the vast majority of
    newbies. Besides, the Standard document (or the draft) is _not_ a good
    place for a newbie to seek help. He would be much better off with
    almost any decent C book or tutorial.

    > 6.10.8 Predefined macro names
    >
    > [#1] The following macro names shall be defined by the
    > implementation:
    >
    > ... snip ...
    >
    > __TIME__ The time of translation of the source file: a
    > character string literal of the form "hh:mm:ss" as
    > in the time generated by the asctime function. If
    > the time of translation is not available, an
    > implementation-defined valid time shall be
    > supplied.

    This would be most opaque to someone just starting out with C. Terms
    like "implementation", "translation", "character string
    literal", "asctime", "implementation-defined valid time" etc., are
    likely to be confusing at best.

    <snip>
    santosh, Aug 7, 2008
  6. ramu

    Richard Guest

    santosh <> writes:

    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> Ian Collins wrote:

    >>> #include <stdio.h>
    >>> int main(void) {
    >>> puts(__TIME__);
    >>> }

    >> Reading the (easily available) standard is much faster. I.e:

    > The Standard isn't easily available at all from the perspective of a
    > beginner. Even the existence of a Standard, it's Committee's website,
    > and the presence of public drafts is unknown to the vast majority of
    > newbies. Besides, the Standard document (or the draft) is _not_ a good
    > place for a newbie to seek help. He would be much better off with
    > almost any decent C book or tutorial.
    >
    >> 6.10.8 Predefined macro names
    >>
    >> [#1] The following macro names shall be defined by the
    >> implementation:
    >>
    >> ... snip ...
    >>
    >> __TIME__ The time of translation of the source file: a
    >> character string literal of the form "hh:mm:ss" as
    >> in the time generated by the asctime function. If
    >> the time of translation is not available, an
    >> implementation-defined valid time shall be
    >> supplied.

    > This would be most opaque to someone just starting out with C. Terms
    > like "implementation", "translation", "character string
    > literal", "asctime", "implementation-defined valid time" etc., are
    > likely to be confusing at best.
    >
    > <snip>

    very well said. There is hope for you yet.
    Richard, Aug 7, 2008
  7. ramu

    CBFalconer Guest

    santosh wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> Reading the (easily available) standard is much faster. I.e:

    > The Standard isn't easily available at all from the perspective
    > of a beginner. Even the existence of a Standard, it's Committee's
    > website, and the presence of public drafts is unknown to the vast
    > majority of newbies. Besides, the Standard document (or the draft)
    > is _not_ a good place for a newbie to seek help. He would be much
    > better off with almost any decent C book or tutorial.

    That's why I attached a list of places to get such things, which
    you snipped. Most newbies accessing Usenet have access to the WWW
    system.

    Try the download section.
    CBFalconer, Aug 7, 2008
  8. ramu

    santosh Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > santosh wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >>> Reading the (easily available) standard is much faster. I.e:

    >> The Standard isn't easily available at all from the perspective
    >> of a beginner. Even the existence of a Standard, it's Committee's
    >> website, and the presence of public drafts is unknown to the vast
    >> majority of newbies. Besides, the Standard document (or the draft)
    >> is _not_ a good place for a newbie to seek help. He would be much
    >> better off with almost any decent C book or tutorial.

    > That's why I attached a list of places to get such things, which
    > you snipped. Most newbies accessing Usenet have access to the WWW
    > system.

    That still leaves unsolved the difficulty for a newbie of comprehending
    the Standard's language. The C Standard is only accessible for someone
    already fairly experienced with C (at least a year I would say), unless
    the person were extraordinarily bright.
    santosh, Aug 7, 2008
  9. ramu

    CBFalconer Guest

    santosh wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> santosh wrote:
    >>> CBFalconer wrote:
    >>>

    >> ... snip ...

    >>> The Standard isn't easily available at all from the perspective
    >>> of a beginner. Even the existence of a Standard, it's Committee's
    >>> website, and the presence of public drafts is unknown to the vast
    >>> majority of newbies. Besides, the Standard document (or the draft)
    >>> is _not_ a good place for a newbie to seek help. He would be much
    >>> better off with almost any decent C book or tutorial.

    >> That's why I attached a list of places to get such things, which
    >> you snipped. Most newbies accessing Usenet have access to the WWW
    >> system.

    > That still leaves unsolved the difficulty for a newbie of
    > comprehending the Standard's language. The C Standard is only
    > accessible for someone already fairly experienced with C (at least
    > a year I would say), unless the person were extraordinarily bright.

    Well, we definitely disagree here. :) Being fairly facile in
    English is probably needed, though.

    Try the download section.
    CBFalconer, Aug 7, 2008