_why's "suicide" note?

Trans

Just found this as _why's last tweet on the Google cached copy of _why's
twitter account:

"burying myself feet first in the woods with the hope that this will
lead to a career as a much beloved and sought after mouth-under-a-rock."

_why, She ain't worth it.

Robert Dober

"Ruby mailing list," not "internet celebrity gossip board."

Please stop this.
No please do not. I respectfully disagree with your POV. The sequence
of the twitter messages of _Why is *alarming* I do not like this. I
would love if _why had the courage to "email" privately to me. I have
the feeling he needs to talk. Talking is incredibly powerful, even
more powerful than Ruby.
But I really do not like this, maybe someone a little more qualified
than me would like to say something.
I feel a little bit dissapointed that "OMG we will lose Hapricot" (
which would be bad, but will not happen ) is more important than "OMG
we lose _Why".

_Why cannot be cloned.

Yours thoughtfully.
Robert

--=20
module Kernel
alias_method :=EB, :lambda
end

Glen Holcomb

2009/8/24 Robert Dober said:
No please do not. I respectfully disagree with your POV. The sequence
of the twitter messages of _Why is *alarming* I do not like this. I
would love if _why had the courage to "email" privately to me. I have
the feeling he needs to talk. Talking is incredibly powerful, even
more powerful than Ruby.
But I really do not like this, maybe someone a little more qualified
than me would like to say something.
I feel a little bit dissapointed that "OMG we will lose Hapricot" (
which would be bad, but will not happen ) is more important than "OMG
we lose _Why".

_Why cannot be cloned.

Yours thoughtfully.
Robert
I would have to agree with Robert. Above that though isn't this an easy
problem to fix by simply applying a human filter? If they subject is about
_Why then one could choose to not read the message.

This is a community after all and part of the community has gone missing,
doesn't matter if that part is a person or not. What matters is that it
was/they were a part.

--=20
so loud, I can=A2t hear a word you=A2re saying."

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

pharrington

2009/8/24 Robert Dober <[email protected]>

I would have to agree with Robert.  Above that though isn't this an easy
problem to fix by simply applying a human filter?  If they subject is about
_Why then one could choose to not read the message.

This is a community after all and part of the community has gone missing,
doesn't matter if that part is a person or not.  What matters is that it
was/they were a part.

so loud, I can¢t hear a word you¢re saying."

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

I suppose I'm coming from the position of

1) If _why really *does* end himself, I'd much have the news come from
an actual report (since he's identity's not exactly secret now) than
trying to interpret a cryptic tweet.

2) If he *doesn't* end himself, then this sort of discussion is of
absolutely no help what-so-ever, and is just sensationalist BS

I'm obviously not against mourning anyone, its just that a thread like
seems like it can only result in a collaborate choose-your-own-
adventure game, except the foundation being a real, apparently very
troubled, human life. There's a pretty big difference between interest
and blatant disrespect.

Robert Dober

I'm obviously not against mourning anyone, its just that a thread like
seems like it can only result in a collaborate choose-your-own-
adventure game, except the foundation being a real, apparently very
troubled, human life. There's a pretty big difference between interest
and blatant disrespect.
But you are assuming things here, you might be mistaken, I hope. I do
not assume that _Why has gone, I just assume that he is unhappy and
might be in distress.

Seems important to me!
R.

pharrington

But you are assuming things here, you might be mistaken, I hope. I do
not assume that _Why has gone, I just assume that he is unhappy and
might be in distress.

Seems important to me!
R.

Maybe I'm just assuming the OP is assuming? Either way, I've said my
share. Have on.

Michael Shigorin

"Ruby mailing list," not "internet celebrity gossip board."
Please stop this.

Maybe I'm just assuming the OP is assuming? Either way,
I've said my share. Have on.

1) I well might have missed your appointment as a moderator;
2) either didn't see you here when why's interactive Ruby
tutorial was already out there and useful.

Please learn to use private mail or google search, or both.

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Robert Dober said:
No please do not. I respectfully disagree with your POV. The sequence
of the twitter messages of _Why is *alarming* I do not like this. I
would love if _why had the courage to "email" privately to me. I have
the feeling he needs to talk. Talking is incredibly powerful, even
more powerful than Ruby.
But I really do not like this, maybe someone a little more qualified
than me would like to say something.

Don't be alarmed. In my youngth I also ditched computers once. I
could not stand it more than one month. If he doesn't get caught by
BigFoot, he'll be back sooner than later.

Graham Agnew

Thanks for your replies.

In terms of assumptions, I have never thought that the living,
breathing, private person who is _why has committed suicide; only that
the public persona he uses has ceased to exist. Hence the use of double
quotes in the subject.

And to be honest I'm surprised that anyone in the Ruby community would
not be interested in the "demise" of a persona such as _why. He has
taught us a lot about Ruby over the years. He has brought many peolpe
into the Ruby world through his many gifts - W(p)GtR, Shoes, Hpricot,
etc ad inf. And he has always done so with great and surprising humor.
What more could we ask for in a teacher?

So my original post was not intended to spam the list. Only to pique
the interest of others of _why's students, and perhaps suggest that
indeed we have lost _why (the persona). If this is the case, we can
only hope that his creator will return to the Ruby community in another
form.

will

Hello hello & hello

My observation is a non-technical. At one time, I thought I'd like to
add-value as a therapist -- Over the last couple of months I had my
own personal and inter-personal meltdown. My comment is for the 10%
to 15% of folk out there who see 'less supportive' comments and . . .

You know WHAT? 'Pain' isn't relative and it isn't objective. To be
honest, "it just hurts", or worse people will tell you it "sucks a
hole" :)

My daughter called me to task, she has had her own load of stuff. She
used to resist her counsellor sessions when she was a high-school
musician. Now she's doing much better and she said to me, "just talk
about it" -- With someone [professional] dad, it helps. Even with my
background into psychology and behaviour, etc. -- I baulked.

I remembered an Enigma line, popular among the Nilists and Goths from
my earlier days: "You have to be week to be strong ..." (You might
read Emo in 2009).

I dunno if you have Life-Line in your corner of the 24 x 7
interworld. There's always a public good group out there ready to
L.I.S.T.E.N and //respond//. When the statistical some of you have
troubles in the future == Make a phone call.

I put some resource links below from Oz. I sometimes wonder if a
1800- type IM line would be useful to the Gen-Y & Gen-X cadre?
Comments would be interesting. Not on here, comp.lang.Ruby (I think).

Why did I comment? Apart from my recent experiences/history ... A
couple of good friends of mine used to work a national park rangers.
It was not uncommon to see abandon cars atop the cliffs of natural
beauty spots and gory evidence at the base.

Anxiety and depression are for the "strong" people who say, things
like (quote) <<... not "internet celebrity gossip board." >>
(unquote).

We've had a prolonged drought here; bush fires; floods; and now a
global-financial-crisis. Stress is real. The effects are real.
'Superman' [Neitzsche] is a work of art.

Well anyway, may be one person will see this and call someone, find
help or support a friend. I did. I felt better for 5 of the days
between my weekly sessions.

OK, ... I'm going now -- One thing I see is that comp.lang.* is
usually populated by /intellectual types/ who 'think' things in their
head, philosophise, etc.

That 'response' is inappropriate for 'this emotional stuff' -- It is
like chewing and eating air. Oh! But you fart a lot!!!

Good luck folks!

. . . Will