A bad example you want?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Richard, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Jan 23, 2005

  2. While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...

    > http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6
    >
    > Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
    > The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

    But only if the menu won't fit into the available viewport:
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk/stuff/images/dhtmlmenu.jpg [39K Jpeg] shows the
    whole menu on one screen, no scroll bar.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 23, 2005

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Richard wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:28:43 -0600 Richard wrote:
    >

    >>http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6

    >>Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
    >>The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

    > Can we say BADDDDDDDD! to this one?
    > http://w3.discoveryvip.com/

    yes we can.

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 23, 2005
  5. While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...

    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:28:43 -0600 Richard wrote:
    >
    >> http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6

    >> Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
    >> The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

    > Can we say BADDDDDDDD! to this one?
    > http://w3.discoveryvip.com/
    >
    > Blinking text all over the page.

    I wondered what you were on about until I looked at it in Firefox... Urgh!

    Probably the first time this has been said on this NG, but "Thank god for
    IE!" ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 23, 2005
  6. Richard

    Pete Gray Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...
    >
    > > Can we say BADDDDDDDD! to this one?
    > > http://w3.discoveryvip.com/
    > >
    > > Blinking text all over the page.

    > I wondered what you were on about until I looked at it in Firefox... Urgh!
    >
    > Probably the first time this has been said on this NG, but "Thank god for
    > IE!" ;-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nige

    Have you tried it without images? Impressive alt text for all those
    spacer.gifs.

    --
    Pete Gray

    Say No to ID Cards <http://www.no2id.net>
    <http://www.redbadge.co.uk/no2idcards/>

    Pete Gray, Jan 23, 2005
  7. Richard

    Fat Sam Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6
    >
    > Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
    > The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

    And how is this worse than that abomination you dare to call a website?.....

    --
    Sam.
    www.fixaphoto.co.uk

    Fat Sam, Jan 23, 2005
  8. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:28:00 -0500 ghoul wrote:

    > Richard wrote:

    >> http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6

    >> Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
    >> The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

    > its bad to take advice from a pervert

    Are you trying to tell these good people here something they haven't known
    for well over a year or more?
    Problem is, you will get no audience here either.

    Richard, Jan 23, 2005
  9. Per Richard:
    >http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6
    >
    >Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
    >The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

    Speaking as a clueless noob that's been looking for a heirarchical menu
    structure to use, somebody tell me what's so bad about that example?

    Granted it's going nowhere without JavaScript enabled on the user's PC, but
    other than that it seems like it offers much or all of what I'm looking for:
    namely a way to present very long lists of choices.

    Seems like the automagic scrollbars that only appear when there isn't enough
    window space are pretty slick too.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Jan 23, 2005
  10. Richard wrote:
    > http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6
    > Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
    > The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

    You know, I know why everyone here thinks this is a bad site. But I
    don't, and here is why. It works just fine on my default browser
    (firefox). That means it works on the vast majority of the browsers out
    there surfing. Since it works fine, I get to admire the look and feel
    of the menu. It is actually a nice looking menu that is interesting to
    open. It was quite obvious how to use it, and the scroll bar in the
    menu was handled expertly with that little roller on my mouse.

    I have no issues with this menu. I understand it makes the site useless
    to many, probably a pain for the robots (if they can navigate at all)
    But for anyone that can see it, it is a fine menu. I completely
    understand why some hate it, but it was easy for me to navigate, gave me
    information and worked flawlessly on my computer, on my default browser.
    I would probably not suggest it to a client if I built web sites.

    YMMV

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 23, 2005
  11. (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > Per Richard:
    >>http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6
    >>
    >>Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
    >>The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

    > Speaking as a clueless noob that's been looking for a
    > heirarchical menu structure to use, somebody tell me
    > what's so bad about that example?

    First off, this Richard (the infamous Richard Bullis, AKA "Richard the
    Stoopid") wouldn't know a good menu script form a bad one if he copied
    the entire source code line by line into one of his own "web pages".
    But, in the same way as a stopped clock will show the correct time twice
    a day, his uninformed assertions may correspond with reality from time
    to time.

    > Granted it's going nowhere without JavaScript enabled
    > on the user's PC,

    What happens when client-side scripting is not supported is probably the
    major issue in browser script design for the Internet. The consequences
    of having no functional navigation just because scripting is unavailable
    (or because any particular script relies on features unsupported by the
    browser in question) are obviously disastrous. Preventing the visitor
    from accessing the site. This is made slightly worse by the fact that
    search engine robots do not appear to execute client side-scripting,
    preventing them from seeing any navigation links and so following them
    in order to index a site.

    > but other than that it seems like it offers much or
    > all of what I'm looking for: namely a way to present
    > very long lists of choices.

    If you could see the way that script 'operates' on my IE 6 you would not
    give it a second look. Putting up script errors on every mouse move is
    pretty inept. Many scripts fail to work on non-IE browsers but a script
    author that cannot even cope with Windows IE 6 really shouldn't be
    publishing their work at all.

    > Seems like the automagic scrollbars that only appear
    > when there isn't enough window space are pretty slick too.

    Not really. Your client area is too short for the drop down, you move
    the mouse to the scrollbars and scroll down, but the menu drop-down
    closes when you move out of it and you have just scrolled the header off
    the top of your window, so you scroll back up and re-open the drop-down,
    which again extends below the viewport and is partly inaccessible. Catch
    22. But the real joke happens when you use the mouse wheel to scroll the
    page down and the menu's drop-down scrolls downwards at the same rate.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Jan 24, 2005
  12. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:01:27 -0000 Richard Cornford wrote:

    > (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    >> Per Richard:
    >>>http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6

    >>>Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
    >>>The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

    >> Speaking as a clueless noob that's been looking for a
    >> heirarchical menu structure to use, somebody tell me
    >> what's so bad about that example?

    > First off, this Richard (the infamous Richard Bullis, AKA "Richard the
    > Stoopid") wouldn't know a good menu script form a bad one if he copied
    > the entire source code line by line into one of his own "web pages".
    > But, in the same way as a stopped clock will show the correct time
    > twice
    > a day, his uninformed assertions may correspond with reality from time
    > to time.

    >> Granted it's going nowhere without JavaScript enabled
    >> on the user's PC,

    > What happens when client-side scripting is not supported is probably
    > the
    > major issue in browser script design for the Internet. The consequences
    > of having no functional navigation just because scripting is
    > unavailable
    > (or because any particular script relies on features unsupported by the
    > browser in question) are obviously disastrous. Preventing the visitor
    > from accessing the site. This is made slightly worse by the fact that
    > search engine robots do not appear to execute client side-scripting,
    > preventing them from seeing any navigation links and so following them
    > in order to index a site.

    >> but other than that it seems like it offers much or
    >> all of what I'm looking for: namely a way to present
    >> very long lists of choices.

    > If you could see the way that script 'operates' on my IE 6 you would
    > not
    > give it a second look. Putting up script errors on every mouse move is
    > pretty inept. Many scripts fail to work on non-IE browsers but a script
    > author that cannot even cope with Windows IE 6 really shouldn't be
    > publishing their work at all.

    >> Seems like the automagic scrollbars that only appear
    >> when there isn't enough window space are pretty slick too.

    > Not really. Your client area is too short for the drop down, you move
    > the mouse to the scrollbars and scroll down, but the menu drop-down
    > closes when you move out of it and you have just scrolled the header
    > off
    > the top of your window, so you scroll back up and re-open the
    > drop-down,
    > which again extends below the viewport and is partly inaccessible.
    > Catch
    > 22. But the real joke happens when you use the mouse wheel to scroll
    > the
    > page down and the menu's drop-down scrolls downwards at the same rate.

    > Richard.

    Wrong!
    On my site, that does not happen.
    The menu remains open until you click on another menu item.
    Furthermore, this particular moron was also the one who found a flaw in the
    design and corrected it so that it works as designed with JS turned off.

    What you are doing, is blasting away at ME, not the script.
    The script itself is perfectly good and from the source's website, it
    appears others are finding uses for it as well.

    As I have looked at, examined, tested, dozens of scripts, this script is the
    ONLY ONE that does what I want and is easy to edit.

    Richard, Jan 24, 2005
  13. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:56:24 GMT (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > Per Richard:
    >>http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6

    >>Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
    >>The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

    > Speaking as a clueless noob that's been looking for a heirarchical menu
    > structure to use, somebody tell me what's so bad about that example?

    > Granted it's going nowhere without JavaScript enabled on the user's PC,
    > but
    > other than that it seems like it offers much or all of what I'm looking
    > for:
    > namely a way to present very long lists of choices.

    > Seems like the automagic scrollbars that only appear when there isn't
    > enough
    > window space are pretty slick too.
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    http://www.4thorder.us/Scripts/Scripts/JS.MDME/default.cfm?groupID=101

    Download the zip file containing the examples, basically all the same with a
    few minor changes.
    There is a slight flaw in the "menu 1" section. Just rewrite the entire
    section to suit your needs and MAKE SURE, <ul> and <li> tags MATCH.
    When I rewrote mine, I put it through the validator each step just to make
    sure I wasn't missing anything.
    Put nothing in the <li> or <ul> or it'll screw up the works.
    Instead use <li><div> method.

    Richard, Jan 24, 2005
  14. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:02:27 -0500 Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6
    >> Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
    >> The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

    > You know, I know why everyone here thinks this is a bad site. But I
    > don't, and here is why. It works just fine on my default browser
    > (firefox). That means it works on the vast majority of the browsers
    > out
    > there surfing. Since it works fine, I get to admire the look and feel
    > of the menu. It is actually a nice looking menu that is interesting to
    > open. It was quite obvious how to use it, and the scroll bar in the
    > menu was handled expertly with that little roller on my mouse.

    > I have no issues with this menu. I understand it makes the site
    > useless
    > to many, probably a pain for the robots (if they can navigate at all)
    > But for anyone that can see it, it is a fine menu. I completely
    > understand why some hate it, but it was easy for me to navigate, gave
    > me
    > information and worked flawlessly on my computer, on my default
    > browser.
    > I would probably not suggest it to a client if I built web sites.

    Thanks for the positive look.
    I looked at a few dozen scripts and most were poorly writen, cumbersome to
    use, difficult to edit, or did not work.
    This [free] script was designed to be easily implemented and edited.
    Instead of editing arrays, you simply add in a <li> tag and away you go.

    FYI, because it works in firefox, does not mean it will work in IE.
    I've tried a method of replacing the text above the large image which works
    fine in FF, but IE refuses it.

    Richard, Jan 24, 2005
  15. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:58:36 -0000 Pete Gray wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> While the city slept, Richard (Anonymous@127.001) feverishly typed...

    >> > Can we say BADDDDDDDD! to this one?
    >> > http://w3.discoveryvip.com/
    >> >
    >> > Blinking text all over the page.

    >> I wondered what you were on about until I looked at it in Firefox...
    >> Urgh!

    >> Probably the first time this has been said on this NG, but "Thank god
    >> for
    >> IE!" ;-)

    >> Cheers,
    >> Nige

    > Have you tried it without images? Impressive alt text for all those
    > spacer.gifs.

    Spacer.gif?
    I thought those things were outlawed.

    Richard, Jan 24, 2005
  16. Richard

    Andy Dingley Guest

    <> wrote:

    >But, in the same way as a stopped clock will show the correct time twice
    >a day, his uninformed assertions may correspond with reality from time
    >to time.

    And so was born "RtSC"

    Andy Dingley, Jan 24, 2005
  17. Richard wrote:
    > Wrong!

    Man you really need to learn how to edit the quoted text to shorten it.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 24, 2005
  18. Richard wrote:
    > Thanks for the positive look

    Remember I would still not recommend it to a client.

    > FYI, because it works in firefox, does not mean it will work in IE.

    I know that, I was stoned and forgot to add I looked at it in IE also.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 24, 2005
  19. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:35:19 -0500 Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> Wrong!

    > Man you really need to learn how to edit the quoted text to shorten it.

    Ok we'll try it this way then.
    That's why I love the fidolook plugin. Easy to make changes.

    Richard, Jan 24, 2005
  20. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:39:07 -0500 Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> Thanks for the positive look

    > Remember I would still not recommend it to a client.

    Still far better than those clumsy flyout things you see all over the place.
    On those, if you have JS turned off, you're screwed.

    Richard, Jan 24, 2005