A bad example you want?

Pete Gray

While the city slept, Richard ([email protected]) feverishly typed...

I wondered what you were on about until I looked at it in Firefox... Urgh!

Probably the first time this has been said on this NG, but "Thank god for
IE!" ;-)

Cheers,
Nige
Have you tried it without images? Impressive alt text for all those
spacer.gifs.

(Pete Cresswell)

Per Richard:
http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6

Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

Speaking as a clueless noob that's been looking for a heirarchical menu
structure to use, somebody tell me what's so bad about that example?

Granted it's going nowhere without JavaScript enabled on the user's PC, but
other than that it seems like it offers much or all of what I'm looking for:
namely a way to present very long lists of choices.

Seems like the automagic scrollbars that only appear when there isn't enough
window space are pretty slick too.

Travis Newbury

Richard said:
http://milonic.com/download.php?sampleid=6
Move over "dhtml menu" then pick the second item.
The list is so long it needs a scrollbar no less.

You know, I know why everyone here thinks this is a bad site. But I
don't, and here is why. It works just fine on my default browser
(firefox). That means it works on the vast majority of the browsers out
there surfing. Since it works fine, I get to admire the look and feel
of the menu. It is actually a nice looking menu that is interesting to
open. It was quite obvious how to use it, and the scroll bar in the
menu was handled expertly with that little roller on my mouse.

I have no issues with this menu. I understand it makes the site useless
to many, probably a pain for the robots (if they can navigate at all)
But for anyone that can see it, it is a fine menu. I completely
understand why some hate it, but it was easy for me to navigate, gave me
information and worked flawlessly on my computer, on my default browser.
I would probably not suggest it to a client if I built web sites.

YMMV

Richard Cornford

(Pete Cresswell) said:
Per Richard:

Speaking as a clueless noob that's been looking for a
heirarchical menu structure to use, somebody tell me
what's so bad about that example?

First off, this Richard (the infamous Richard Bullis, AKA "Richard the
Stoopid") wouldn't know a good menu script form a bad one if he copied
the entire source code line by line into one of his own "web pages".
But, in the same way as a stopped clock will show the correct time twice
a day, his uninformed assertions may correspond with reality from time
to time.
Granted it's going nowhere without JavaScript enabled
on the user's PC,

What happens when client-side scripting is not supported is probably the
major issue in browser script design for the Internet. The consequences
of having no functional navigation just because scripting is unavailable
(or because any particular script relies on features unsupported by the
browser in question) are obviously disastrous. Preventing the visitor
from accessing the site. This is made slightly worse by the fact that
search engine robots do not appear to execute client side-scripting,
preventing them from seeing any navigation links and so following them
in order to index a site.
but other than that it seems like it offers much or
all of what I'm looking for: namely a way to present
very long lists of choices.

If you could see the way that script 'operates' on my IE 6 you would not
give it a second look. Putting up script errors on every mouse move is
pretty inept. Many scripts fail to work on non-IE browsers but a script
author that cannot even cope with Windows IE 6 really shouldn't be
publishing their work at all.
Seems like the automagic scrollbars that only appear
when there isn't enough window space are pretty slick too.

Not really. Your client area is too short for the drop down, you move
the mouse to the scrollbars and scroll down, but the menu drop-down
closes when you move out of it and you have just scrolled the header off
the top of your window, so you scroll back up and re-open the drop-down,
which again extends below the viewport and is partly inaccessible. Catch
22. But the real joke happens when you use the mouse wheel to scroll the
page down and the menu's drop-down scrolls downwards at the same rate.

Richard.

[...]

Wrong!
On my site, that does not happen.
The menu remains open until you click on another menu item.
Furthermore, this particular moron was also the one who found a flaw in the
design and corrected it so that it works as designed with JS turned off.

What you are doing, is blasting away at ME, not the script.
The script itself is perfectly good and from the source's website, it
appears others are finding uses for it as well.

As I have looked at, examined, tested, dozens of scripts, this script is the
ONLY ONE that does what I want and is easy to edit.

Richard

Per Richard:
Speaking as a clueless noob that's been looking for a heirarchical menu
structure to use, somebody tell me what's so bad about that example?
Granted it's going nowhere without JavaScript enabled on the user's PC,
but
other than that it seems like it offers much or all of what I'm looking
for:
namely a way to present very long lists of choices.
Seems like the automagic scrollbars that only appear when there isn't
enough
window space are pretty slick too.

http://www.4thorder.us/Scripts/Scripts/JS.MDME/default.cfm?groupID=101

Download the zip file containing the examples, basically all the same with a
few minor changes.
There is a slight flaw in the "menu 1" section. Just rewrite the entire
section to suit your needs and MAKE SURE, <ul> and <li> tags MATCH.
When I rewrote mine, I put it through the validator each step just to make
sure I wasn't missing anything.
Put nothing in the <li> or <ul> or it'll screw up the works.
Instead use <li><div> method.

Richard

[...]

Thanks for the positive look.
I looked at a few dozen scripts and most were poorly writen, cumbersome to
use, difficult to edit, or did not work.
This [free] script was designed to be easily implemented and edited.
Instead of editing arrays, you simply add in a <li> tag and away you go.

FYI, because it works in firefox, does not mean it will work in IE.
I've tried a method of replacing the text above the large image which works
fine in FF, but IE refuses it.

Andy Dingley

But, in the same way as a stopped clock will show the correct time twice
a day, his uninformed assertions may correspond with reality from time
to time.

And so was born "RtSC"

Travis Newbury

Richard said:
Thanks for the positive look
Remember I would still not recommend it to a client.
FYI, because it works in firefox, does not mean it will work in IE.

I know that, I was stoned and forgot to add I looked at it in IE also.

Richard

Man you really need to learn how to edit the quoted text to shorten it.

Ok we'll try it this way then.
That's why I love the fidolook plugin. Easy to make changes.

Richard

Remember I would still not recommend it to a client.

Still far better than those clumsy flyout things you see all over the place.
On those, if you have JS turned off, you're screwed.

I know that, I was stoned and forgot to add I looked at it in IE also.