A beginner question about GUI use and development

Discussion in 'Python' started by uap12, Nov 13, 2009.

  1. uap12

    uap12 Guest

    Hi!
    I have written som Python programs but no one with a GUI yet,
    i have look around and found a lot of diffrent gui module.

    I will develop program that will use a small amout of GUI part
    eg. program to show status about server etc.

    I have looked att wxWidget, but i like a rekommendation here
    (Will develop Windows program but somtimes OSX to)

    When i givet the program away i like to pack it, so the enduser
    just run it, i don't like to tell the user to install Python, and/or
    som GUI package. is this possible.

    In the beginning it is okej to code the gui "by hand" to learn
    but after that i like som kind of GUI-designtool, and god
    to recommade ??

    I know this is basic question, but i have't found any god answer
    so if some takes time to answer i would be happy.

    Best regards
    Anders

    uap12, Nov 13, 2009

  2. uap12

    Marcus Gnaß Guest

    uap12 wrote:

    > When i givet the program away i like to pack it, so the enduser
    > just run it, i don't like to tell the user to install Python, and/or
    > som GUI package. is this possible.

    So Tkinter would be your choice, cause its shipped with Python ...

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

    Marcus Gnaß, Nov 13, 2009

  3. Hi,

    I have working with wxPython since about 2003 and still have a "mixed"
    feeling about it. Periodically I was catched in some traps especially
    in graphics-related parts of my code (just one example: try to find
    documentation about DC.Blit behaviour then UserScale != 1.0). For
    fresh-starters I would recommend to try a PyQT first (IMHO good
    commercial background/support is a big plus for any open-source
    project). Another option (my person choise so far) is to switch to
    web-based interface. My personal choice - web based interface using
    Django.

    Vladimir Ignatov

    Vladimir Ignatov, Nov 13, 2009
  4. On Nov 13, 2009, at 3:55 AM, uap12 wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I have written som Python programs but no one with a GUI yet,
    > i have look around and found a lot of diffrent gui module.
    >
    > I will develop program that will use a small amout of GUI part
    > eg. program to show status about server etc.
    >
    > I have looked att wxWidget, but i like a rekommendation here
    > (Will develop Windows program but somtimes OSX to)

    Hej Anders,
    wxWidgets and PyQT are very popular. As Marcus pointed out, Tkinter
    has the advantage that it ships with Python. These three should be
    your top candidates.

    > When i givet the program away i like to pack it, so the enduser
    > just run it, i don't like to tell the user to install Python, and/or
    > som GUI package. is this possible.

    Yes, but the solutions aren't straightforward. Look at py2exe for
    Windows and py2app for the Mac. I don't know what to recommend for
    *nix (Linux, FreeBSD, etc.)

    > In the beginning it is okej to code the gui "by hand" to learn
    > but after that i like som kind of GUI-designtool, and god
    > to recommade ??

    wxGlade is popular for wxWidgets. I don't know about PyQT or Tkinter.

    Lycka till,
    Philip

    Philip Semanchuk, Nov 13, 2009
  5. uap12

    CM Guest

    On Nov 13, 3:55 am, uap12 <> wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I have written som Python programs but no one with a GUI yet,
    > i have look around and found a lot of diffrent gui module.
    >
    > I will develop program that will use a small amout of GUI part
    > eg. program to show status about server etc.
    >
    > I have looked att wxWidget, but i like a rekommendation here
    > (Will develop Windows program but somtimes OSX to)

    In the context of Python, it is called wxPython. WxWidgets is
    the C++ version (and around which wxPython is a thin wrapper).

    > When i givet the program away i like to pack it, so the enduser
    > just run it, i don't like to tell the user to install Python, and/or
    > som GUI package. is this possible.

    As others mentioned, yes. Many people use py2exe for Windows, and
    py2app for Mac OS X. These have nothing to do with the choice of
    GUI,
    though. However, if you choose wxPython as the widget toolkit, you
    can use a really nice application called GUI2Exe, which is a GUI
    interface for py2exe, py2app, and a few other such tools, and makes
    creating a packaged-up executable much easier.

    > In the beginning it is okej to code the gui "by hand" to learn
    > but after that i like som kind of GUI-designtool, and god
    > to recommade ??

    Sure--that's one good way. I learned the other way around: by
    using a GUI designer to teach me what options there were for widgets
    and how they were coded. One nice IDE and GUI builder for wxPython
    is Boa Constructor.

    > I know this is basic question, but i have't found any god answer
    > so if some takes time to answer i would be happy.

    Googling these issues or searching this group should turn up
    dozens of answers and opinions; it has been asked many times.

    Che

    CM, Nov 13, 2009