A beginner question about GUI use and development

uap12

Hi!
I have written som Python programs but no one with a GUI yet,
i have look around and found a lot of diffrent gui module.

I will develop program that will use a small amout of GUI part
eg. program to show status about server etc.

I have looked att wxWidget, but i like a rekommendation here
(Will develop Windows program but somtimes OSX to)

When i givet the program away i like to pack it, so the enduser
just run it, i don't like to tell the user to install Python, and/or
som GUI package. is this possible.

In the beginning it is okej to code the gui "by hand" to learn
but after that i like som kind of GUI-designtool, and god
to recommade ??

I know this is basic question, but i have't found any god answer
so if some takes time to answer i would be happy.

Best regards
Anders

Marcus Gnaß

uap12 said:
When i givet the program away i like to pack it, so the enduser
just run it, i don't like to tell the user to install Python, and/or
som GUI package. is this possible.

So Tkinter would be your choice, cause its shipped with Python ...
In the beginning it is okej to code the gui "by hand" to learn
but after that i like som kind of GUI-designtool, and god
to recommade ??

http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

Vladimir Ignatov

Hi,

I have working with wxPython since about 2003 and still have a "mixed"
feeling about it. Periodically I was catched in some traps especially
in graphics-related parts of my code (just one example: try to find
documentation about DC.Blit behaviour then UserScale != 1.0). For
fresh-starters I would recommend to try a PyQT first (IMHO good
commercial background/support is a big plus for any open-source
project). Another option (my person choise so far) is to switch to
web-based interface. My personal choice - web based interface using
Django.

Vladimir Ignatov

Philip Semanchuk

Hi!
I have written som Python programs but no one with a GUI yet,
i have look around and found a lot of diffrent gui module.

I will develop program that will use a small amout of GUI part
eg. program to show status about server etc.

I have looked att wxWidget, but i like a rekommendation here
(Will develop Windows program but somtimes OSX to)

Hej Anders,
wxWidgets and PyQT are very popular. As Marcus pointed out, Tkinter
has the advantage that it ships with Python. These three should be
your top candidates.

When i givet the program away i like to pack it, so the enduser
just run it, i don't like to tell the user to install Python, and/or
som GUI package. is this possible.

Yes, but the solutions aren't straightforward. Look at py2exe for
Windows and py2app for the Mac. I don't know what to recommend for
*nix (Linux, FreeBSD, etc.)

In the beginning it is okej to code the gui "by hand" to learn
but after that i like som kind of GUI-designtool, and god
to recommade ??

wxGlade is popular for wxWidgets. I don't know about PyQT or Tkinter.

Lycka till,
Philip

CM

Hi!
I have written som Python programs but no one with a GUI yet,
i have look around and found a lot of diffrent gui module.

I will develop program that will use a small amout of GUI part
eg. program to show status about server etc.

I have looked att wxWidget, but i like a rekommendation here
(Will develop Windows program but somtimes OSX to)

In the context of Python, it is called wxPython. WxWidgets is
the C++ version (and around which wxPython is a thin wrapper).
When i givet the program away i like to pack it, so the enduser
just run it, i don't like to tell the user to install Python, and/or
som GUI package. is this possible.

As others mentioned, yes. Many people use py2exe for Windows, and
py2app for Mac OS X. These have nothing to do with the choice of
GUI,
though. However, if you choose wxPython as the widget toolkit, you
can use a really nice application called GUI2Exe, which is a GUI
interface for py2exe, py2app, and a few other such tools, and makes
creating a packaged-up executable much easier.
In the beginning it is okej to code the gui "by hand" to learn
but after that i like som kind of GUI-designtool, and god
to recommade ??

Sure--that's one good way. I learned the other way around: by
using a GUI designer to teach me what options there were for widgets
and how they were coded. One nice IDE and GUI builder for wxPython
is Boa Constructor.
I know this is basic question, but i have't found any god answer
so if some takes time to answer i would be happy.

Googling these issues or searching this group should turn up
dozens of answers and opinions; it has been asked many times.

Che