A beginner question: Send Mail in ASP using CDONTS

Prasad

Hi all,

I had to write a page in ASP which sends an email. I googled and was
able to write the following code:

<%
Set Mail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
Mail.To = "(e-mail address removed)"
Mail.From = "(e-mail address removed)"
Mail.Subject = "Test MAIL Subject"
Mail.Body = " Body Body Body Body Body Bodyody Body Body"
If Mail.Send Then
Response.Write("Mail has been sent successfully")
Else
Response.Write("Mail Sending Failed")
End If
Set Mail = nothing
%>

When I run this script on a shared hosting server, It's saying "Mail
Sending Failed". I had never written ASP code before and couldn't find
what the reason is.. I also checked whether CDONTS.NewMail component
is available.

Please help me out..

Thanks in advance,
Prasad.

Old Pedant

Your host may not allow CDONTS. Microsoft stopped shipping CDONTS as a
standard part of the Windows Server a few years back. You host *CAN* add it,
but may have chosen not to.

It's possible that your host supports only CDOSYS, for example. And it's
even possible that you host doesn't support *any* MS email component and uses
one from a third party.

You should contact your host for the proper component to use. Hopefully,
your how will have a sample page in their FAQs.

If you can't get help from your host, then it might be time to change hosts.

Anthony Jones

Prasad said:
[...]

Here is some example code to send email using CDOSYS:-

Const cdoSendUsingMethod =
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing"
Const cdoSMTPServer =
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver"
Const cdoSMTPServerPickupDirectory =
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverpickupdirectory"
Const cdoSMTPServerPort =
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport"

Const cdoSendUsingPickup = 1
Const cdoSendUsingPort = 2

Dim oMsg : Set oMsg = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
Dim oConfig : Set oConfig = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")

With oConfig.Fields
.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPort
.Item(cdoSMTPServer) = "mysmtp.myserver.com"
.Item(cdoSMTPServerPort) = 25
.Update
End With

oMsg.From = "Me <[email protected]>"
oMsg.To = "Bloke <[email protected]>"
oMsg.Subject = "Test"
Set oMsg.Configuration = oConfig

oMsg.Send

Prasad

[...]

Hi..
Thank you all for your replies.. I git it worked. The actual problem
was with the "From Address", which should be of the same domain I have
taken. :)

Cheers,
Prasad