a better solution for GUI in python

ce

Hi,

My company is using python currently for our website. We need to
develop a GUI front-end for our ERP that would be portable (Windows
and Linux).

My question is which solution would be better for the GUI (and easier
to implement)? I knew there are something like wxidgets, QT and pyGTK?
actually we will need some complicated stuff in the GUI and yet I
don't know much about GUI programming.

Any recommendation guys?

StD

Hi,

My company is using python currently for our website. We need to
develop a GUI front-end for our ERP that would be portable (Windows
and Linux).

My question is which solution would be better for the GUI (and easier
to implement)? I knew there are something like wxidgets, QT and pyGTK?
actually we will need some complicated stuff in the GUI and yet I
don't know much about GUI programming.

Any recommendation guys?

I'd recommend pyGTK. It's easy to use, delivers astonishing results
and is perfectly portable as far as I know. I'm working with it
myself, having the goal of simplicity as well as portability and I got
to say, it works! Hope that was helpful.

Paul Rubin

ce said:
My company is using python currently for our website. We need to
develop a GUI front-end for our ERP that would be portable (Windows
and Linux).

Some reason not to use a browser interface instead of a client gui?

Bjoern Schliessmann

ce said:
My question is which solution would be better for the GUI (and
easier to implement)? I knew there are something like wxidgets,

(wxWidgets. It's the C++ lib, its Python bindings are wxPython)

(same as above, it's called pyQt. Check licensing, it's not as
liberal as the others'.)
and pyGTK? actually we will need some complicated stuff in the GUI
and yet I don't know much about GUI programming.

Any recommendation guys?

Mostly matter of taste. Without any further details of your needs,
no experienced people will be able to help.

Why don't you go to the projects' homepages and read, and perhaps
check a tutorial.

Though biased, this may help:

http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/WxWidgets_Compared_To_Other_Toolkits

(it's for the C++ original only, but much applies to python
bindings)

Regards,

Björn

Bjoern Schliessmann

StD said:
I'd recommend pyGTK. It's easy to use, delivers astonishing
results and is perfectly portable as far as I know.

And how does it look on Windows? :)
I'm working with it myself, having the goal of simplicity as well
as portability and I got to say, it works! Hope that was helpful.

Could say the same about wxWidgets, and Qt (the latter only with C++
though).

Regards,

Björn

ce

Some reason not to use a browser interface instead of a client gui?

it is a matter of input speed only!
every record posses some calculations and sometimes fresh data from
the database! which i "think" would be slower in the browser than the
local gui client.
I know that i can implement the functionality in the browser using
javascripts, however, i don't know wither it would be as effective as
a local gui or not and which is more convenient.

Jarek Zgoda

Bjoern Schliessmann napisa³(a):
And how does it look on Windows? :)

On styled Windows XP it looks like any other styled application
(counting those Qt and wx based). On Windows 2000 or unstyled XP since
GTK 2.10 it looks far better than Qt3 applications and nearly as good as
Win32 native applications (including wx based) or Qt4.

Uwe Grauer

ce said:
Hi,

My company is using python currently for our website. We need to
develop a GUI front-end for our ERP that would be portable (Windows
and Linux).

My question is which solution would be better for the GUI (and easier
to implement)? I knew there are something like wxidgets, QT and pyGTK?
actually we will need some complicated stuff in the GUI and yet I
don't know much about GUI programming.

Any recommendation guys?

Take a look at Dabo.
It is using wxWidgets and runs on Windows, Mac, Linux.
http://www.dabodev.com

Uwe

ici

Hi,

My company is using python currently for our website. We need to
develop a GUI front-end for our ERP that would be portable (Windows
and Linux).

My question is which solution would be better for the GUI (and easier
to implement)? I knew there are something like wxidgets, QT and pyGTK?
actually we will need some complicated stuff in the GUI and yet I
don't know much about GUI programming.

Any recommendation guys?

http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/ - Debugger, visual editor(resource
editor) , one place event handlers like on_Object_Command, uses
wxPython but easy than VB.

David Boddie

Gtk I consider an extremely poor contender as a cross platform
toolkit. The runtime is enormous and it makes little effort to appear
native on any non-GNOME platform.

Given that wxPython more or less relies on GTK+ on Linux, I think
you're probably shooting yourself in the foot here, particularly when
you go on to say this:
wxPython is also a perfectly reasonable solution, especially if you
want a "native" seeming app on all platforms.

All platforms would ideally include KDE, of course. ;-)

David (sorry, couldn't resist)

Chris Mellon

Given that wxPython more or less relies on GTK+ on Linux, I think
you're probably shooting yourself in the foot here, particularly when
you go on to say this:

All platforms would ideally include KDE, of course. ;-)

Granted, and something that I normally cover but forgot in this
thread. The preferred DE of your users is an important issue as well.
KDE users will be best (pretty much only, really) served by pyQt,
GNOME users by pyGTK or wxPython.

Rainer Grimm

ce said:
Hi,

My company is using python currently for our website. We need to
develop a GUI front-end for our ERP that would be portable (Windows
and Linux).

My question is which solution would be better for the GUI (and easier
to implement)? I knew there are something like wxidgets, QT and pyGTK?
actually we will need some complicated stuff in the GUI and yet I
don't know much about GUI programming.

Any recommendation guys?
Hallo.

Hava a look at http://www.awaretek.com/toolkits.html .