    actually we will need some complicated stuff in the GUI and yet I
    don't know much about GUI programming.

    Any recommendation guys?

    ce, Mar 11, 2007

  2. ce

    StD Guest

    On 11 Mrz., 12:03, "ce" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My company is using python currently for our website. We need to
    > develop a GUI front-end for our ERP that would be portable (Windows
    > and Linux).
    >
    > My question is which solution would be better for the GUI (and easier
    > to implement)? I knew there are something like wxidgets, QT and pyGTK?
    > actually we will need some complicated stuff in the GUI and yet I
    > don't know much about GUI programming.
    >
    > Any recommendation guys?

    I'd recommend pyGTK. It's easy to use, delivers astonishing results
    and is perfectly portable as far as I know. I'm working with it
    myself, having the goal of simplicity as well as portability and I got
    to say, it works! Hope that was helpful.

    StD, Mar 11, 2007

  3. ce

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "ce" <> writes:
    > My company is using python currently for our website. We need to
    > develop a GUI front-end for our ERP that would be portable (Windows
    > and Linux).

    Some reason not to use a browser interface instead of a client gui?

    Paul Rubin, Mar 11, 2007
  4. ce wrote:
    > My question is which solution would be better for the GUI (and
    > easier to implement)? I knew there are something like wxidgets,

    (wxWidgets. It's the C++ lib, its Python bindings are wxPython)

    > QT

    (same as above, it's called pyQt. Check licensing, it's not as
    liberal as the others'.)

    > and pyGTK? actually we will need some complicated stuff in the GUI
    > and yet I don't know much about GUI programming.
    >
    > Any recommendation guys?

    Mostly matter of taste. Without any further details of your needs,
    no experienced people will be able to help.

    Why don't you go to the projects' homepages and read, and perhaps
    check a tutorial.

    Though biased, this may help:

    http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/WxWidgets_Compared_To_Other_Toolkits

    (it's for the C++ original only, but much applies to python
    bindings)

    Regards,

    Björn

    --
    BOFH excuse #137:

    User was distributing pornography on server; system seized by FBI.

    Bjoern Schliessmann, Mar 11, 2007
  5. StD wrote:

    > I'd recommend pyGTK. It's easy to use, delivers astonishing
    > results and is perfectly portable as far as I know.

    And how does it look on Windows? :)

    > I'm working with it myself, having the goal of simplicity as well
    > as portability and I got to say, it works! Hope that was helpful.

    Could say the same about wxWidgets, and Qt (the latter only with C++
    though).

    Regards,

    Björn

    --
    BOFH excuse #52:

    Smell from unhygienic janitorial staff wrecked the tape heads

    Bjoern Schliessmann, Mar 11, 2007
  6. ce

    ce Guest

    On Mar 11, 3:05 pm, Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    > "ce" <> writes:
    > > My company is using python currently for our website. We need to
    > > develop a GUI front-end for our ERP that would be portable (Windows
    > > and Linux).

    > Some reason not to use a browser interface instead of a client gui?

    it is a matter of input speed only!
    every record posses some calculations and sometimes fresh data from
    the database! which i "think" would be slower in the browser than the
    local gui client.
    I know that i can implement the functionality in the browser using
    javascripts, however, i don't know wither it would be as effective as
    a local gui or not and which is more convenient.

    ce, Mar 11, 2007
  7. ce

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Bjoern Schliessmann napisa³(a):

    >> I'd recommend pyGTK. It's easy to use, delivers astonishing
    >> results and is perfectly portable as far as I know.

    > And how does it look on Windows? :)

    On styled Windows XP it looks like any other styled application
    (counting those Qt and wx based). On Windows 2000 or unstyled XP since
    GTK 2.10 it looks far better than Qt3 applications and nearly as good as
    Win32 native applications (including wx based) or Qt4.

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    http://jpa.berlios.de/

    Jarek Zgoda, Mar 11, 2007
  8. Casey Hawthorne, Mar 11, 2007
  9. ce

    Uwe Grauer Guest

    ce wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My company is using python currently for our website. We need to
    > develop a GUI front-end for our ERP that would be portable (Windows
    > and Linux).
    >
    > My question is which solution would be better for the GUI (and easier
    > to implement)? I knew there are something like wxidgets, QT and pyGTK?
    > actually we will need some complicated stuff in the GUI and yet I
    > don't know much about GUI programming.
    >
    > Any recommendation guys?

    Take a look at Dabo.
    It is using wxWidgets and runs on Windows, Mac, Linux.
    http://www.dabodev.com

    Uwe

    Uwe Grauer, Mar 11, 2007
  10. ce

    ici Guest

    On Mar 11, 1:03 pm, "ce" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My company is using python currently for our website. We need to
    > develop a GUI front-end for our ERP that would be portable (Windows
    > and Linux).
    >
    > My question is which solution would be better for the GUI (and easier
    > to implement)? I knew there are something like wxidgets, QT and pyGTK?
    > actually we will need some complicated stuff in the GUI and yet I
    > don't know much about GUI programming.
    >
    > Any recommendation guys?

    http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/ - Debugger, visual editor(resource
    editor) , one place event handlers like on_Object_Command, uses
    wxPython but easy than VB.

    ici, Mar 11, 2007
  11. ce

    David Boddie Guest

    On Monday 12 March 2007 16:57, Chris Mellon wrote:

    > Gtk I consider an extremely poor contender as a cross platform
    > toolkit. The runtime is enormous and it makes little effort to appear
    > native on any non-GNOME platform.

    Given that wxPython more or less relies on GTK+ on Linux, I think
    you're probably shooting yourself in the foot here, particularly when
    you go on to say this:

    > wxPython is also a perfectly reasonable solution, especially if you
    > want a "native" seeming app on all platforms.

    All platforms would ideally include KDE, of course. ;-)

    David (sorry, couldn't resist)

    David Boddie, Mar 13, 2007
  12. ce

    Chris Mellon Guest

    On 3/12/07, David Boddie <> wrote:
    > On Monday 12 March 2007 16:57, Chris Mellon wrote:
    >
    > > Gtk I consider an extremely poor contender as a cross platform
    > > toolkit. The runtime is enormous and it makes little effort to appear
    > > native on any non-GNOME platform.

    > Given that wxPython more or less relies on GTK+ on Linux, I think
    > you're probably shooting yourself in the foot here, particularly when
    > you go on to say this:
    >
    > > wxPython is also a perfectly reasonable solution, especially if you
    > > want a "native" seeming app on all platforms.

    > All platforms would ideally include KDE, of course. ;-)

    Granted, and something that I normally cover but forgot in this
    thread. The preferred DE of your users is an important issue as well.
    KDE users will be best (pretty much only, really) served by pyQt,
    GNOME users by pyGTK or wxPython.

    Chris Mellon, Mar 13, 2007
  13. ce

    Rainer Grimm Guest

    ce wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My company is using python currently for our website. We need to
    > develop a GUI front-end for our ERP that would be portable (Windows
    > and Linux).
    >
    > My question is which solution would be better for the GUI (and easier
    > to implement)? I knew there are something like wxidgets, QT and pyGTK?
    > actually we will need some complicated stuff in the GUI and yet I
    > don't know much about GUI programming.
    >
    > Any recommendation guys?

    Hallo.

    Hava a look at http://www.awaretek.com/toolkits.html .