a bit of advise please

news.microsoft.com

I am starting to work with ASP.NET but am finding so many options that I am
getting confused and would appreciate some advice.

I have developed several ACCESS databases that we use internally and ASP
pages to make some of the information available on our company website -
this works very well and I like the flexibility of both Access forms and ASP
web

Our site has low traffic with never more than 3 on at any time - mostly I
get information from the Access database as quick as possible and close it
straight away so tables are never left open for very long.

questions.
1/ Is there anything really wrong with using Access MDB files for
data-storage on a "small" site
2/ Should I move to SQL Server and if so can I still use Access to
manipulate the database
3/ For a small site does SQL Server offer anything more than SQL Server
Express
4 / if I do develop in ASP.NET with an Access MDB file, can I move the
database to SQL Server later on
5/ Does the Access Upsizing Wizard work with SQL Server Express - I tried
and failed, this maybe my mis-understanding
6/ Is "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition" enough for my needs
("free" seems too good to be true)

My feeling is that Web Developer with Access should be enough for my needs
but I'd like a bit of reassurance/guidance.

Any feedback from users with more experience would be really appreciated

All the best
Phil

Dan

Hi quick answers from my view are:

1) For a small site i dont see any problem with access, its simple and cut
down so for basic needs is probably ok. I only ever use Sql Server but i
work on sites that are quite complex, but when i used to make basic systems
for practice a long way back access was fine.

2)A move to sql server will give you great benefits in efficiency and speed
of processing but with a maximum of 3 users a day is it worth it? There is a
lot more to the initial set up of sql server (though once you have done it a
few times it is very simple but can be a little difficult if you dont have
some basic knowledge).

3) sql server express is just a broken down version of sql server, again
your needs arent great

....to be honest the real question for me is why are you thinking of sql
server at all. it is good that you are but on a small site like that surely
your not feeling anything that requires a need for better speed and
management?

I have sued the upsizing wizard for an access db before to upsize to sql
server and had no problems, dont know about express version but i dont see
why it would be any different.

Don't know if that helps but thats my views

news.microsoft.com

thanks for the very quick answer

very hepful to have the benefit of your experience

All the best
Phil