    http://www.vias.org/javacourse/
    bye
    Tom
    tom der rapper, Nov 23, 2005

  2. tom der rapper

    Benji Guest

    tom der rapper, while chewing on bamboo shoots, wrote:
    > the bock How to think like a computer science. Just have a lokk on this

    Of making better designs there is no end,
    and much refactoring wearies the body.
    Benji, Nov 23, 2005

  3. tom der rapper

    Rhino Guest

    "tom der rapper" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    > I have found an interersting Java Course on the internet which is based on
    > the bock How to think like a computer science. Just have a lokk on this
    > page! the link is:
    > http://www.vias.org/javacourse/

    I don't think it is quite correct to call this a course; it's more of a
    lecture on Java programming concepts and techniques. In my opinion, a course
    has exercises that the student is supposed to do and solutions should be
    provided so that the student knows if they have the correct solution. The
    material at the link does not appear to have any exercises at all.

    The chapter on Object-oriented programming seems very weak to me.
    Inheritance is mentioned very briefly and many of the other key OO concepts
    like encapsulation and overloading don't see to get mentioned at all.
    Failing to teach a prospective Java programmer about OO concepts almost
    guarantees that the person will not write proper OO code. That makes this
    material a very poor choice, in my opinion.

    Also, the material is awkward to navigate. There are no "next" or "previous"
    page links so I always have to click the back button in my browser to go
    back to the index, then, select the next page I want to read. If the index
    and the rest of the material were all on the same page, that wouldn't be a
    problem but the designer of the site apparently chose not to do that.

    Just my two cents worth....

    Rhino
    Rhino, Nov 24, 2005
  4. "Rhino" <> wrote in message

    > "tom der rapper" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi!
    >> I have found an interersting Java Course on the internet which is based
    >> on the bock How to think like a computer science. Just have a lokk on
    >> this page! the link is:
    >> http://www.vias.org/javacourse/

    > I don't think it is quite correct to call this a course; it's more of a
    > lecture on Java programming concepts and techniques. In my opinion, a
    > course has exercises that the student is supposed to do and solutions
    > should be provided so that the student knows if they have the correct
    > solution. The material at the link does not appear to have any exercises
    > at all.
    >
    > The chapter on Object-oriented programming seems very weak to me.
    > Inheritance is mentioned very briefly and many of the other key OO
    > concepts like encapsulation and overloading don't see to get mentioned at
    > all. Failing to teach a prospective Java programmer about OO concepts
    > almost guarantees that the person will not write proper OO code. That
    > makes this material a very poor choice, in my opinion.
    >
    > Also, the material is awkward to navigate. There are no "next" or
    > "previous" page links so I always have to click the back button in my
    > browser to go back to the index, then, select the next page I want to
    > read. If the index and the rest of the material were all on the same page,
    > that wouldn't be a problem but the designer of the site apparently chose
    > not to do that.
    >
    > Just my two cents worth....
    >
    > Rhino

    You wrote: There are no "next" or "previous"
    page links.

    That isn't correct, because there definitely are such links. At the upper
    right. You only have to look a little bit.
    Sorry for my bad english. I can't speak english very well, because I'm from
    Austria (not Australia)....
    tom der rapper, Nov 24, 2005
  5. "Rhino" <> wrote in message

    > "tom der rapper" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi!
    >> I have found an interersting Java Course on the internet which is based
    >> on the bock How to think like a computer science. Just have a lokk on
    >> this page! the link is:
    >> http://www.vias.org/javacourse/

    > I don't think it is quite correct to call this a course; it's more of a
    > lecture on Java programming concepts and techniques. In my opinion, a
    > course has exercises that the student is supposed to do and solutions
    > should be provided so that the student knows if they have the correct
    > solution. The material at the link does not appear to have any exercises
    > at all.
    >
    > The chapter on Object-oriented programming seems very weak to me.
    > Inheritance is mentioned very briefly and many of the other key OO
    > concepts like encapsulation and overloading don't see to get mentioned at
    > all. Failing to teach a prospective Java programmer about OO concepts
    > almost guarantees that the person will not write proper OO code. That
    > makes this material a very poor choice, in my opinion.

    Astonishingly, the author waits until the 13th chapter
    to talk about objects and object methods.

    > Also, the material is awkward to navigate. There are no "next" or
    > "previous"

    Yes there are. They're not at the bottom of the page--
    where one expects them. Look at the top right corner
    of the page.

    George Cherry, Nov 24, 2005
  6. tom der rapper

    Chris Uppal Guest

    George Cherry wrote:

    > Astonishingly, the author waits until the 13th chapter
    > to talk about objects and object methods.

    That might be a result of the re-ordering of the book's contents on the
    website.

    But, even if that's not the case, the book is clearly not intended to be about
    OO programming -- it's a simple course on programming fundamentals (loops,
    variables, functions, datastructures, etc) that just happens to [ab]use Java as
    its medium.

    The book's title, after all, is (something like) "Learn to think like a
    computer scientist", not "Learn how to be a worthwhile Java programmer"...

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Nov 25, 2005