A broken link preventer

Craig Cockburn

Does anyone know if there is a definitive list of 6xx http return codes
anywhere? Some of my links with the link preventer are returning 6xx
codes and although I have a list of what these mean I am wondering how
much of a standard this is.

I'd like to sort out this issue before moving onto my next project, the
Spam Petition,
http://www.siliconglen.com/spampetition/

thanks

Charles Sweeney

Craig Cockburn wrote
I'd like to sort out this issue before moving onto my next project, the
Spam Petition,
http://www.siliconglen.com/spampetition/

Fucking typical, the anti-spammers spam like the best of them. What do
http return codes have to do with soc.culture.scottish???

Your spam worked though, I looked at your "petition". Who are you going to
send it to, you don't say? Who are you petitioning?

You'll be lucky to get a dozen signatures.

Complete waste of time, but then it's got nothing to do with stopping spam.

Paul Ding

Does anyone know if there is a definitive list of 6xx http return codes
anywhere?

To answer your question, yes. I know, and many others know as well.

Although you didn't ask for it, I might mention that the definitive
list of HTTP return codes is, as you might expect, in the RFC for the
HTTP protocol. The latest version of HTTP is 1.1 and the document is
RFC 2616.

And although you *really* didn't ask it, here's a list of the 6xx
return codes in HTTP:

And just in case you didn't catch on, here is a definitive list of all
http error codes in all ranges:

1xx return codes are informational
100 Continue
101 Switching Protocols

2xx return codes indicate success
200 OK
201 Created
202 Accepted
203 Non-Authoritative Information
204 No Content
205 Reset Content
206 Partial Content

3xx return codes require redirection
300 Multiple Choices
301 Moved Permanently
302 Found
303 See Other
304 Not Modified
305 Use Proxy
306 (Unused)
307 Temporary Redirect

4xx return codes indicate client error
400 Bad Request
401 Unauthorized
402 Payment Required
403 Forbidden
404 Not Found
405 Method Not Allowed
406 Not Acceptable
407 Proxy Authentication Required
408 Request Timeout
409 Conflict
410 Gone
411 Length Required
412 Precondition Failed
413 Request Entity Too Large
414 Request-URI Too Long
415 Unsupported Media Type
416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable
417 Expectation Failed

5xx error codes indicate server error
500 Internal Server Error
501 Not Implemented
502 Bad Gateway
503 Service Unavailable
504 Gateway Timeout
505 HTTP Version Not Supported

Craig Cockburn

Paul Ding said:
To answer your question, yes. I know, and many others know as well.
So there is no definitive list and a 6xx code's meaning is entirely up
to the website?

Craig

Paul Ding

So there is no definitive list and a 6xx code's meaning is entirely up
to the website?

No. There *is* a definitive list. It's a null set.

A 5xx return code would indicate that it's a server trying to do its
best. A 6xx return code would indicate that it's failing through
error, but deliberately failing and being noncompliant about it.

Obviously a 6xx return codes would indicate that the server was
programmed by an incompetent, or by Microsoft. Not that there's much
difference in practice.

William Tasso

Writing in
From the safety of the cafeteria
Paul Ding <[email protected]> said:

f'ups reaaranged
A 6xx return code would indicate that it's failing through
error, but deliberately failing and being noncompliant about it.

Obviously a 6xx return codes would indicate that the server was
programmed by an incompetent,

it would appear so.
or by Microsoft.

did I miss something?

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318380

Craig Cockburn

Chris said:
Craig,

Seems to work here and the suggestions provided to the user are helpful.

2. I used Netscape 7.1. When I see a list of links like those in your
example, I tend to keep the page with the list open in one tab, then
right click on each link I'm interested in and select "Open in new tab"
from the resulting popup menu. But something in your code prevents that
option (and several others) from appearing in the popup.

This is now fixed, thanks for the feedback.

Craig