A bunch of RMI questions

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sony Antony, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Sony Antony

    Sony Antony Guest

    These are a set of questions, I have been trying to get answers to,
    since yesterday. It will be very helpful even if you could answer them
    partially.

    1. In the case of ordinary ( JRMP ) RMI, every object that is passed
    from the remote side to the client side, will have to go through
    serialization

    2. If the remote side returns a *non Remote* object that is actually
    the subclass of the declared object, and if the class definition for
    this subclass does not exist in the client, it will be sent from the
    server side over the wire.

    3. There is no mechanism in RMI to do a version control. ( Like
    different versions of the same interface )

    4. If the Remote interface is later changed to *add one more method*,
    and if the server is recompiled to implement this method along with
    all the old ones, the client will continue to work for all the methods
    it was written for originally.

    5. As described in the case 4. above, if the server is rewritten to
    add one more method and if a reference to one such object is returned
    from the server ( as a result of another method invocation ), the
    client will get a stub object with only the old methods available. (
    Since its class definition for the object only contains the original
    methods )

    6. In the case of RMI-IIOP, object serialization is not used at all.
    Instead it uses CORBA's CDR encoding.

    7. among JRMP & IIOP, which one is faster and efficient ( efficient in
    terms of the number of bytes for the call overhead )

    8. What is the relevance of RMI-IIOP. Does it exist only to bridge
    with CORBA/other languages clients. Or does it serve any special
    purpose in an EJB container's context. ( Is it only coincidental that
    I started to hear more about RMI-IIOP about the time EJBs started to
    become popular.

    Thanks in advance
    --sony

    Sony Antony, Jul 1, 2003

  2. Sony Antony

    Harald Hein Guest

    "Sony Antony" wrote:

    > These are a set of questions,

    No, you provided a set of statements. And these statements look very
    much like homework.

    HH

    Harald Hein, Jul 1, 2003

  3. Sony Antony

    Sony Antony Guest

    Harald Hein wrote:

    > "Sony Antony" wrote:
    >
    >> These are a set of questions,

    > No, you provided a set of statements. And these statements look very
    > much like homework.

    Must be a very good university to ask such advanced questions like CDR
    encoding and interface version control.

    --sony

    Sony Antony, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Sony Antony

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 1 Jul 2003 12:55:35 -0700, (Sony Antony)
    wrote or quoted :

    >What is the relevance of RMI-IIOP

    I think it was a marketing idea to make RMI sound more Corba
    compatible than it really is.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 2, 2003
  5. Sony Antony

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 08:45:41 GMT, Roedy Green <> wrote:

    > On 1 Jul 2003 12:55:35 -0700, (Sony Antony)
    > wrote or quoted :
    >
    >> What is the relevance of RMI-IIOP

    > I think it was a marketing idea to make RMI sound more Corba
    > compatible than it really is.

    I remember reading a quote about it:

    "RMI over IIOP combines the disadvantages of RMI with the disadvantages of
    CORBA."

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    Empathy Software (http://www.empathysoftware.com)

    Daniel Dyer, Jul 2, 2003
  6. Sony Antony

    Sony Antony Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > On 1 Jul 2003 12:55:35 -0700, (Sony Antony)
    > wrote or quoted :
    >
    > >What is the relevance of RMI-IIOP

    > I think it was a marketing idea to make RMI sound more Corba
    > compatible than it really is.

    Thanks:
    With RMI-IIOP is it possible to write an EJB bean that simultaneously act as
    an EJB and a CORBA ( server ) object at the same time. Are there any
    containers that provide this functionality. I heard Iona's Orbix is also
    'J2EE compliant'. Is this what they mean - One server acting as both EJB
    container and a corba server.

    --sony

    Sony Antony, Jul 2, 2003