A Byte of Python - Python Book / Tutorial

Discussion in 'Python' started by Swaroop C H, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Swaroop C H

    Swaroop C H Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I have a written a book on Python which serves as a tutorial or
    guide for anyone who wants to learn Python. It specifically targets
    beginners but experienced programmers can benefit a lot with the
    special notes for them.

    The chapters are :

    Contents at a Glance

    1. Introduction
    2. Installing Python
    3. First Steps
    4. Basics
    5. Operators and Expressions
    6. Control Flow
    7. Functions
    8. Modules
    9. Data Structures
    10. Problem Solving - Writing a Python Script
    11. Object-Oriented Programming
    12. Input/Output
    13. Exceptions
    14. The Python Standard Library
    15. More Python
    16. What Next?
    17. Appendices
    * Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS)
    * About

    The book is located at :

    http://www.python.g2swaroop.net/

    During my first brush with Python, I felt there was a need for a good
    introductory guide to Python, and recent discussions on comp.lang.python
    reinforce that. I hope this book helps fill that void.

    This is my first attempt at writing anything so huge and so I am looking
    forward to your suggestions and criticisms so that I can further improve the
    book.

    Thanks,
    Swaroop C H
    www.python.g2swaroop.net
    Swaroop C H, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Swaroop C H

    Miklós Guest

    It's a nice work.. Well done.
    Maybe you could mention briefly one the main strongholds of Python, i.e. its
    extensibility.

    Best,
    Miklós

    Miklós, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Swaroop C H

    Oren Tirosh Guest

    """There are so many programming languages out there, but has there ever
    been one which is both simple and powerful? And which is good for both
    beginners as well as experts? And which is fun to program with? There is!
    It is called Python. This book will help you learn this wonderful language
    and show how to get things done quickly and painlessly - in effect "The
    Perfect Anti-Venom for your programming problems!"

    Python is talked about as the 100-year language. Why? Because they say it
    will be the only programming language in use a 100 years from now...
    """

    I think I am as enthusiastic about Python as anyone else on this newsgroup
    but this gushing praise of Python in the preface makes me a bit uneasy. If
    I were new to Python it would be a complete turnoff for me "...oh no, yet
    another religious fanatic..."

    I think it may be better to tone it down a little to avoid alienating
    potential new converts to our secret cult planning world domination ;-)

    Oren
    Oren Tirosh, Mar 6, 2004