a C++ "workbook"

Discussion in 'C++' started by mescaline, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. mescaline

    mescaline Guest

    Hi,

    I am looking for a C++ programming "workbook"

    I have learned some basic C++ OOP such as classes, inheritance,
    polymorphism, virtual functions, encapsulation and all those la-la
    terms... bascially from Bruce Eckel's and the Sams 21 days books.

    I have done some programming for classes (like inheriting classes,
    using protected, a little bit of templates) but I want to get sharpen
    my on-the-terminal programming skills.

    Would there be a good exercise book/ online material that would
    through these exercises improve my programming skills ... I mean, I
    know IN THEORY that virtual destructors are necessary in case of
    dynamic object destruction (i.e. to destroy inherited objects (with
    pointers) that have been created at run-time) but I haven't *really*
    programmed that kind of stuff. Maybe just reproduced on my screen the
    code from a book.

    Would appreciate any suggestions from you guys on a "workbook" that
    would start from the very basics like create a class .. then give
    instances of where the protected keyword is most suited ...then delve
    into better aspects of polymorphism, some good examples on virtual
    functions --- WHAT i need now is hands-on programming with some
    independant thought, not reading and writing the code that is given in
    a book.

    thanks in advance for your suggestions

    Thanks.
    mescaline, Jan 20, 2004

  2. mescaline

    jeffc Guest

    "mescaline" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a C++ programming "workbook"

    I think some exist, but it seems to me like you might not really need that.
    I think what you really need is to do an actual project. If it were me, I'd
    program something that you could actually find useful. 2 programs I wrote
    for practice are a blackjack simulator (not a game, but a simulator. I told
    it to play with various betting strategies, and then looked at how it paid
    off after a million hands), and then a little windows app that calculated
    postage for me. I need to mail a lot of things of different postage prices.
    I told it what denominations of stamps I had, and it reported the best way
    to make that total with the stamps I had while wasting the least amount of
    money. I had to learn a little Windows programming for that. You'll find
    that most of these projects need more than just plain C++. That will help
    you decide what else you want to learn more about.
    jeffc, Jan 20, 2004

  3. mescaline

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    jeffc wrote:
    > "mescaline" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am looking for a C++ programming "workbook"

    > I think some exist, but it seems to me like you might not really need that.
    > I think what you really need is to do an actual project. If it were me, I'd
    > program something that you could actually find useful. 2 programs I wrote
    > for practice are a blackjack simulator (not a game, but a simulator. I told
    > it to play with various betting strategies, and then looked at how it paid
    > off after a million hands), and then a little windows app that calculated
    > postage for me. I need to mail a lot of things of different postage prices.
    > I told it what denominations of stamps I had, and it reported the best way
    > to make that total with the stamps I had while wasting the least amount of
    > money. I had to learn a little Windows programming for that. You'll find
    > that most of these projects need more than just plain C++. That will help
    > you decide what else you want to learn more about.

    Agreed. I still use little home-grown programs I wrote years ago,
    including one that helps me balance my checkbook.

    Try posting little bits of code here, and ask for advice. You'll be
    quite amused to see the Holy Wars that break out over how your code can
    be improved. :)
    Jeff Schwab, Jan 20, 2004
  4. * Thus spoke mescaline <>:

    Hallo,

    > I am looking for a C++ programming "workbook"

    [...]
    > Would appreciate any suggestions from you guys on a "workbook" that
    > would start from the very basics like create a class .. then give
    > instances of where the protected keyword is most suited ...then delve
    > into better aspects of polymorphism, some good examples on virtual
    > functions --- WHAT i need now is hands-on programming with some
    > independant thought, not reading and writing the code that is given in
    > a book.

    This is not exactly what you asked for, but you may like the following books:

    o Effective C++, Scott Meyers
    o More Effective C++, Scott Meyers
    o Effective STL, Scott Meyers
    o Exceptional C++, Herb Sutter
    o More Exceptional C++, Herb Sutter
    o The C++ Standard Library, Josuttis

    Besides starting an interesting new project on your own, have a look at
    open source projects that are looking for you! ;-)

    o <http://www.sourceforge.net/>
    o <http://savannah.gnu.org/>

    Wolfgang.
    --
    "Erfahrungen -- das sind die vernarbten Wunden unserer Dummheit."
    -- John Osborne
    Wolfgang Kaufmann, Jan 20, 2004
  5. mescaline

    Eurig Jones Guest

    "jeffc" <> wrote in message

    > "mescaline" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am looking for a C++ programming "workbook"

    > I think some exist, but it seems to me like you might not really need

    that.
    > I think what you really need is to do an actual project. If it were me,

    I'd
    > program something that you could actually find useful. 2 programs I wrote
    > for practice are a blackjack simulator (not a game, but a simulator. I

    told
    > it to play with various betting strategies, and then looked at how it paid
    > off after a million hands), and then a little windows app that calculated
    > postage for me. I need to mail a lot of things of different postage

    prices.
    > I told it what denominations of stamps I had, and it reported the best way
    > to make that total with the stamps I had while wasting the least amount of
    > money. I had to learn a little Windows programming for that. You'll find
    > that most of these projects need more than just plain C++. That will help
    > you decide what else you want to learn more about.

    Yup I agree too, what you need is a simple idea in your head.. like a board
    game maybe, and hack it out. maybe program a lot of the idea for command
    line output, then when you fancy teaching yourself a bit about GUI, look
    into that and build up on your program.
    Eurig Jones, Jan 20, 2004
  6. mescaline

    sahil.expert