    Is there a cheap or free version of VHDL?

    I'm interested in learning it on my own computer before applying for some local jobs that require it.

    It needs to be able to run under 64-bit Windows 7.

    Robert Miles, Jun 27, 2012

  2. Robert Miles

    Rich Webb Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 23:17:41 -0700 (PDT), Robert Miles
    <> wrote:

    >Is there a cheap or free version of VHDL?
    >
    >I'm interested in learning it on my own computer before applying for some local jobs that require it.
    >
    >It needs to be able to run under 64-bit Windows 7.

    There is GHDL http://ghdl.free.fr/.

    The major FPGA vendors also have free versions of their toolchains but
    then in addition to learning the language you need to learn to navigate
    their (sometimes baroque) development environment.

    http://www.digilentinc.com/ has a variety of FPGA dev boards based on
    Xilinx devices. http://www.knjn.com/ has some for Altera.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA