a common yet hard-to-resolved problem for Java GUI size!

neverknown

The Java application GUI (setPreferSize to some hardcoded dimension)
gets smaller when it comes to wide screen (Dell 16:9 laptop), and the
users have to resize the GUI every time they are launched (so as to see
the action buttons). This problem seems to happen only for 16:9 wide
screen so far.

Question:
1. What are the factors deciding the swing (awt) GUI size, besides
resolution and font? Is wide screen really an individual factor?

2. How to formulate a universal good GUI size? Or any examples to
define different sizes for different display-cases?

Thought the following functions might be needed, although I heard that
Toolkit.getScreenResolution() cannot really detect screen resolution.

Toolkit.getScreenResolution(), Toolkit.getScreenSize(), getFontSize()

Any example or information will be highly appreciated!

neverknown

Thank you for the headsup! But how to do cross-posting?

Do I just indicate I have posted somewhere else (with a link address)
at the beginning of my new post??

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

neverknown said:
Thank you for the headsup! But how to do cross-posting?

You write more than one newsgroup name in the field for that,
separated by commas.