A comparison among VSS Remote Access Tools including SourceOffSite, SourceAnyWhere and VSS Remoting

bettervssremoting

To view the full article, please visit
http://www.BetterVssRemoting.com

Better VSS Remote Access Tool including SourceOffSite, SourceAnyWhere
and VSS Remoting

This article makes a detailed comparison among SourceAnyWhere,
SourceOffSite, VSS Remoting and possible others.

SourceSafe Remote Access, SourceSafe Web Access, SourceSafe
Internet Access

1. Overview
2. Comparison Summary
3. Test Environment
4. Test Methodology
5. Breakdown
5.1 Speed
5.2 Stability
5.3 Security
5.4 VSS Feature Support
5.5 Usability
5.6 Diff/Merge
5.7SCCI Integration
5.8 Cross Platform
6 Others

1. Overview

What does the article do? It makes a comparison among SourceAnyWhere
3.1, SourceOffSite 4.1 and VSS Remoting 2.5.

Our initiative is to make an unbiased, objective, repeatable and
verifiable comparison:
a. Real project is used. The project I use is eMule, which is at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/emule/
b. Detailed steps are presented. You can follow the detailed steps
easily.
c. If you want to make a comment, I can be reached at
(e-mail address removed).

If you need more info, please visit their official websites:

SourceAnyWhere (SAW) from DynamSoft http://www.dynamsoft.com

SourceOffSite (SOS) from SourceGear http://www.sourcegear.com

VSS Remoting from Source Remoting
http://www.sourceremoting.com

Want to add a product? Write to me: (e-mail address removed)

The real result may vary if you do the test in different environment or
different files are used. However, the basic concept of this
comparison, such as which one is the fastest, which one has more VSS
features, should be applicable everywhere.

To view the full article, please go to
http://www.bettervssremoting.com

2. Comparison Summary (5 star ***** is the best)

Speed Comparison
SAW *****
SOS **
VSS Remoting **

Stability Comparison
SAW ****
SOS ***
VSS Remoting **

Security
SAW ****
SOS ***
VSS Remoting ***

VSS Feature Support
SAW ****
SOS ****
VSS Remoting ****

Usability
SAW ****
SOS **
VSS Remoting **

Diff/Merge
SAW ****
SOS ****
VSS Remoting **

IDE Integration
SAW ***
SOS ***
VSS Remoting ****

Cross Platform
SAW *
SOS ****
VSS Remoting ***

Speed:
I am totally surprised and excited by the speed of SourceAnyWhere. For
Get, Checkout and other operations, SourceAnyWhere can
be up to 40+ times faster than SourceOffSite and VSS Remoting.

Stability:
SourceAnyWhere never has any problem in the whole test.

VSS Remoting has difficulty to add files.

SourceOffSite has several problems when it comes to stability. It fails
often when I try to add big files. The big problem of SourceOffSite is
cancel. There is no cancel support in IDE integration. After a cancel
operation in Add, Checkin, Checkout or Get in SourceOffSite Explorer,
the CPU usage of SourceOffSite server goes up to almost 100% and can
not come down, unless the server is restarted.

Security:
What makes SourceAnyWhere unique is the password policy.
All the products use 128-bit cryptography.
SourceOffSite and SourceAnyWhere use BlowFish.
VSS Remoting uses HTTPS.

VSS Feature Support:
Weakness and strengths equally exist in them three.

Usability:
SAW is the best. All the Windows of SAW is in Win32 style. It can
detect if a file is changed automatically.

Diff/Merge
In File Diff (2-way)/File Merge (3-way), SourceAnyWhere and
SourceOffSite run neck and neck; VSS Remoting has a low
performance

IDE Integration:
SourceAnyWhere, SourceOffSite and VSS Remoting all support MSSCCI
Integration.
VSS Remoting supports DreamWeaver integration

I have not tested the IDE integration intensively. I give this rate
just according to manual of the three products.

Cross Platform:
SourceOffSite can cross most popular platforms, VSS Remoting has a web
interface which can login server through web

3. Test Environment

Test Data

Real project is used for test
All eMule0.44c and eMule0.44d files are downloaded from Sourceforge
Download eMule0.44c (3.1M) and eMule0.44d (3.1M) used in the test
Big Files are simulated files created by us

Server Configuration

P4, 2.8G, 256M RAM, Windows XP Professional
SourceAnyWhere profession 3.1 DEMO Server
SourceOffSite4.1 with Cryptography DEMO Server
VSS Remoting Server 2.5
Visual SourceSafe6.0 + Sp6

Client Configuration

P4 Celeron 2.0G, 256M RAM, Windows 2003
ADSL connection
SourceAnyWhere profession 3.1
SourceOffSite 4.1 with Cryptography
VSS Remoting Client 2.5

4. Test Methodology

All the three products are tested on the same computers and internet
connection

All the three products are tested on the same data set

All the three products are tested with the same process

For speed test, every action is carried out 5 times

The initial state of the VSS database is empty (newly created)

5. Breakdown

To view the detailed test results and other features, please visit
http://www.BetterVssRemoting.com