A Comprehensive treatement of linking C++ code?

Steven T. Hatton

I've become very interested in the techniques used to link C++ compilation
units. In part this is due to the importance Stroustrup places on the
topic in D&E. Does anybody know of a good nuts and bolts discussion of the
primary approaches used by modern C++ build systems? I know this crosses
over into the area of operating systems, and is not directly addressed by
the C++ Standard. Nonetheless, it seems to be quite relevant in terms of
practical use of C++.

I don't want to dwell on this issue on comp.lang.c++ lest it offend the
sensibilities of the more intolerant participants in the newsgroup. I am,
however, interested in this information as it relates to C++ programming,
and therefore believe asking for references is legitimate use of this
forum. The two implementations I'm most interested in are Windows and
GNU/Linux. If there are particularly interesting techniques used on other
platforms, I would also be interested to know about those.

Of particular interest is the area of dynamic linking, and how it relates to
such language specific issues as the ODR.