A computer science book to learn about interpreter, VM etc

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by flexaxis@gmail.com, May 8, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I learned HTML and then I learned programming. Have been a JAVA
    programmer for a bunch of years and now I have been working on Rails
    for more than six months. Never worked on C though.

    I am having trouble understanding this thread.
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/d69165ad2b711c2c#

    But I want to understand what is being discussed. I guess I need a
    computer science book which describes what exactly interpreting means.
    Also the other day some guys were talking about ERB being interpreted
    but liquid (shopify guys) not being interpreted. I couldn't follow
    that too. Also I can't follow what is "Iron ruby". I mean what does it
    mean to have ruby being ported to .NET .

    Could you please refer me a book or two which explains these computer
    science fundamentals. Also note that I don't have much background to
    build up on so please refer books which are not too *geeky*.

    Thanks

    , May 8, 2008

    Phillip Gawlowski, May 8, 2008

  3. On 8 May 2008, at 13:05, wrote:
    > I learned HTML and then I learned programming. Have been a JAVA
    > programmer for a bunch of years and now I have been working on Rails
    > for more than six months. Never worked on C though.
    >
    > I am having trouble understanding this thread.
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/d69165ad2b711c2c#
    >
    > But I want to understand what is being discussed. I guess I need a
    > computer science book which describes what exactly interpreting means.
    > Also the other day some guys were talking about ERB being interpreted
    > but liquid (shopify guys) not being interpreted. I couldn't follow
    > that too. Also I can't follow what is "Iron ruby". I mean what does it
    > mean to have ruby being ported to .NET .
    >

    > Could you please refer me a book or two which explains these computer
    > science fundamentals. Also note that I don't have much background to
    > build up on so please refer books which are not too *geeky*.

    It's probably out of print, but 'Programming Languages - An
    Interpreter-Based Approach' by Samuel N. Kamin is my fave book on the
    subject. It's a treatment of several families of programming languages
    (functional, OO, Lisp, etc.) which presents simplified interpreters
    and includes a chapter on Compilation. The code is in Pascal but don't
    be put off by that as it's clearly documented and Pascal is a very
    easy language to understand.

    There's probably also a discussion of these and other concepts in
    'Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs' by Abelson and
    Sussman, but as my copy seems to have gone MIA I can't check at the
    moment.

    Ellie

    Eleanor McHugh
    Games With Brains
    http://slides.games-with-brains.net
    ----

    Eleanor McHugh, May 8, 2008
  4. On 8 May 2008, at 13:05, wrote:

    > I learned HTML and then I learned programming. Have been a JAVA
    > programmer for a bunch of years and now I have been working on Rails
    > for more than six months. Never worked on C though.

    > Could you please refer me a book or two which explains these computer
    > science fundamentals. Also note that I don't have much background to
    > build up on so please refer books which are not too *geeky*.

    If you're familiar with Java, you should be able to make good progress
    with this:

    Programming Language Processors in Java - Compilers and Interpreters
    by David A Watt, Deryck F Brown

    Regards,
    Andy Stewart

    -------
    AirBlade Software
    http://airbladesoftware.com

    Andrew Stewart, May 8, 2008
  5. Chris Hulan Guest

    On May 8, 8:03 am, wrote:
    > Could you please refer me a book or two which explains these computer
    > science fundamentals. Also note that I don't have much background to
    > build up on so please refer books which are not too *geeky*.

    Not sure how easy this text is but its free 9^):
    http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Books/ProgLangs/2007-04-26/

    Chris Hulan, May 8, 2008