A concise description of Ruby?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Curt Hibbs, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Yesterday, a co-worker came into my office and saw the shiny, new pickaxe II
    book on my desk and said "What is Ruby?"

    Unfortunately, I really blew the opportunity as I attempted to come up with
    a brilliant one or two sentence description. The best I could muster was
    something like, "Uhh... err... it's kind of like perl or python but much
    better." How lame is that!

    To avoid this in the future, I would a like to have a stock reply ready to
    go. A few short sentences that clearly crystallize what Ruby is and why the
    asker should care. Once I make it past this introduction (in situations
    where there is time and its appropriate) I can talk endlessly in-depth about
    Ruby. But I want to be able to make that good first impression without
    tripping all over myself... An impression good enough to make them want to
    know more.

    So, I wanted to ask all of you, what would your answer be to the question
    "What is Ruby"?

    Thanks,
    Curt

    PS
    I'll collect the responses and post them on the WhyRuby? site
    (http://whyruby.rubyforge.org).
    Curt Hibbs, Oct 20, 2004

  2. I tell coworkers - "It's the language that'll let you like programming again."

    -RIch

    Richard Lyman, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Curt Hibbs wrote:

    > Yesterday, a co-worker came into my office and saw the shiny, new pickaxe II
    > book on my desk and said "What is Ruby?"
    >
    > Unfortunately, I really blew the opportunity as I attempted to come up with
    > a brilliant one or two sentence description. The best I could muster was
    > something like, "Uhh... err... it's kind of like perl or python but much
    > better." How lame is that!
    >
    > To avoid this in the future, I would a like to have a stock reply ready to
    > go. A few short sentences that clearly crystallize what Ruby is and why the
    > asker should care. Once I make it past this introduction (in situations
    > where there is time and its appropriate) I can talk endlessly in-depth about
    > Ruby. But I want to be able to make that good first impression without
    > tripping all over myself... An impression good enough to make them want to
    > know more.
    >
    > So, I wanted to ask all of you, what would your answer be to the question
    > "What is Ruby"?

    Ruby is a language where code is used to make Objects communicate. This
    gives you all the benefits of clearly defined components and the power
    to change the messages Objects respond to and communicate by themselves.

    You can also jump into your Object environment and start talking to
    Objects. This makes debugging surprisingly simple and other things possible.

    > Thanks,
    > Curt

    Hope this helps any, but I think there will be better definitions than mine.

    Regards,
    Florian Gross
    Florian Gross, Oct 20, 2004
  4. Curt Hibbs ha scritto:
    > Yesterday, a co-worker came into my office and saw the shiny, new pickaxe II
    > book on my desk and said "What is Ruby?"

    it's an OO dynamic language with simple syntax. It is fun oriented.
    I love ruby.

    (remember that in the "I love #$somelanguage" google battles ruby always
    win, spread the meme ;)
    gabriele renzi, Oct 20, 2004
  5. On Oct 20, 2004, at 7:04 AM, gabriele renzi wrote:

    > Curt Hibbs ha scritto:
    >> Yesterday, a co-worker came into my office and saw the shiny, new
    >> pickaxe II
    >> book on my desk and said "What is Ruby?"

    > it's an OO dynamic language with simple syntax. It is fun oriented.
    > I love ruby.
    >
    > (remember that in the "I love #$somelanguage" google battles ruby
    > always win, spread the meme ;)

    Ruby: The powerful and dynamic object-oriented language which "makes
    programming fun again".

    The first part of that description is taken from and article by Matz
    and the second part is taken from an article by Dave Thomas. So,
    basically I didn't come up with any of it.

    -Charlie
    Charles Mills, Oct 20, 2004
  6. I knew that one day someone would ask ;)

    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?WhatIsRuby

    The link to Wikipedia entry at the end is good too.

    T.

    P.S. This is a rip from Hal (thanks Hal!) but if anyone would like to work on
    it then please do!

    trans. (T. Onoma), Oct 20, 2004
  7. > So, I wanted to ask all of you, what would your answer be to the question
    > "What is Ruby"?

    i tell people - "it's the kind of language that makes you feel sexy.
    sexy if you find thinking sexy because it's easy to think in. thinking in Java
    is boring. thinking in ruby makes you drool."
    --
    edwin eyan moragas

    ha... a... k... tu!
    Edwin Eyan Moragas, Oct 20, 2004
  8. On Oct 20, 2004, at 7:47 AM, Curt Hibbs wrote:

    > Yesterday, a co-worker came into my office and saw the shiny, new
    > pickaxe II book on my desk and said "What is Ruby?"

    Ruby is a very object oriented language with a super clean syntax that
    makes programming elegant and enjoyable.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Oct 20, 2004
  9. Curt Hibbs

    Hal Fulton Guest

    trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:
    > I knew that one day someone would ask ;)
    >
    > http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?WhatIsRuby
    >
    > The link to Wikipedia entry at the end is good too.
    >
    > T.
    >
    > P.S. This is a rip from Hal (thanks Hal!) but if anyone would like to work on
    > it then please do!

    Actually, you can just attribute the comp.lang.ruby FAQ -- I maintain
    it now, but the above fragment was written by Conrad Schneiker.

    Or attribute him if you wish, but he doesn't hang out here any more.

    Hal
    Hal Fulton, Oct 20, 2004
  10. Curt Hibbs

    Mike Clark Guest

    > So, I wanted to ask all of you, what would your answer be to the
    > question
    > "What is Ruby"?

    "Ruby? Oh, you won't like this language. (Slides Pixaxe II out of
    view.) It's entirely too fun and productive for most people."

    :)

    Mike
    Mike Clark, Oct 20, 2004
  11. >
    > "Ruby? Oh, you won't like this language. (Slides Pixaxe II out of
    > view.) It's entirely too fun and productive for most people."

    there's 'oomph!' in this one.

    nice one mike.

    --
    edwin eyan moragas

    ha... a... k... tu!
    Edwin Eyan Moragas, Oct 20, 2004
  12. Curt Hibbs wrote:
    > So, I wanted to ask all of you, what would your answer be to the question
    > "What is Ruby"?

    Ruby is the programming language that makes you have more time for
    your girlfriend .. or less, if you fall in love with ruby instead.

    Jan
    Jan Krüger, Oct 20, 2004
  13. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Mike Clark wrote:

    > > So, I wanted to ask all of you, what would your answer be to the
    > > question
    > > "What is Ruby"?

    > "Ruby? Oh, you won't like this language. (Slides Pixaxe II out of
    > view.) It's entirely too fun and productive for most people."
    >
    > :)

    Wow! I like this!!

    If nothing else, its a good "ice-breaker", to be followed up with the more
    serious response.

    Curt

    PS
    These have been really good responses... keep them coming!
    Curt Hibbs, Oct 20, 2004
  14. Mod up - this is the best one so far... followed up quickly with,
    "What are you working on right now?"

    -Rich

    Richard Lyman, Oct 20, 2004
  15. Curt Hibbs

    James Britt Guest

    I like most of the suggestions so far.

    I don't have a profound definition myself, though when I try to describe
    the language I prefer to avoid mentioning "scripting" (favoring
    "interpreted") or comparisons to other languages.

    For the latter, I'm not versed enough in Smalltalk, Python, or whatever
    else gets tossed in to some algebraic Ruby description to give any
    follow-up detail. And I've heard people say, "If it's so much like X,
    why not just use X?"

    Although the phrase has been glommed by Python fans, I believe it more
    appropriate to say that Ruby is almost like executable pseudo-code[*].
    There is very little extraneous syntax to interfere with simply
    expressing what you want to do.

    It's a language designed for people, not processors.

    James

    [*] Show of hands: How many people write "__self__" as a routine part
    of of their pseudo code?
    James Britt, Oct 20, 2004
  16. On Wednesday 20 October 2004 11:15 am, Mike Clark wrote:
    | > So, I wanted to ask all of you, what would your answer be to the
    | > question
    | > "What is Ruby"?
    |
    | "Ruby? Oh, you won't like this language. (Slides Pixaxe II out of
    | view.) It's entirely too fun and productive for most people."

    Good one, Mike. Reminds me of a Dilbert funny.

    T.
    trans. (T. Onoma), Oct 20, 2004
  17. On Wednesday 20 October 2004 14:47, Curt Hibbs wrote:
    [snip]
    > So, I wanted to ask all of you, what would your answer be to the question
    > "What is Ruby"?

    Ruby allows to you enhance the builtin string class with you own methods,
    which you can invoke "im a string".own_method

    Thats the sentence I use most.
    I don't know if there are other languages that allow for this?

    --
    Simon Strandgaard
    Simon Strandgaard, Oct 20, 2004
  18. Curt Hibbs

    James Britt Guest

    Simon Strandgaard wrote:

    > On Wednesday 20 October 2004 14:47, Curt Hibbs wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    >>So, I wanted to ask all of you, what would your answer be to the question
    >>"What is Ruby"?

    > Ruby allows to you enhance the builtin string class with you own methods,
    > which you can invoke "im a string".own_method
    >
    > Thats the sentence I use most.
    > I don't know if there are other languages that allow for this?

    JavaScript.

    Really.

    "JavaScript: It's sweeter than you think."

    James
    James Britt, Oct 20, 2004
  19. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    James Britt wrote:

    > Simon Strandgaard wrote:
    >
    > > On Wednesday 20 October 2004 14:47, Curt Hibbs wrote:
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > >>So, I wanted to ask all of you, what would your answer be to

    > the question
    > >>"What is Ruby"?

    > > Ruby allows to you enhance the builtin string class with you

    > own methods,
    > > which you can invoke "im a string".own_method
    > >
    > > Thats the sentence I use most.
    > > I don't know if there are other languages that allow for this?

    > JavaScript.
    >
    > Really.
    >
    > "JavaScript: It's sweeter than you think."

    Yes, JavaScript is underrated. A lot of the things we do with Ruby can be
    done with JavaScript (its just not as clean).

    In fact, it was because of JavaScript that I found Ruby. After I came off a
    large Mozilla-based project that was primarily written in JavaScript, I was
    hooked on the dynamic typeless nature of JavaScript. But, I figured there
    must be something better.

    I decided to learn Python. But when I did my initial web searches for Python
    info, I discovered Ruby... and the rest is history!

    Curt
    Curt Hibbs, Oct 20, 2004
  20. On Wednesday 20 October 2004 12:43 pm, Curt Hibbs wrote:
    | James Britt wrote:
    | > "JavaScript: It's sweeter than you think."
    |
    | Yes, JavaScript is underrated. A lot of the things we do with Ruby can be
    | done with JavaScript (its just not as clean).

    And the DOM sucks.

    T.
    trans. (T. Onoma), Oct 20, 2004