"A connection to the server could not be established" - Trying to open existing project

Kevin Buchan

I came in today and tried to edit a project that I was working with,
locally, at the tail end of last week. This web project was created,
hosted, and only edited locally.

I truly cannot remember anything that I installed/changed on my
workstation that could have goofed up my IIS, but I simply cannot get
VS 2003 to be able to open an exiting or create a new web project.

I have tried the following:
* Uninstall and Reinstall IIS (making sure that FrontPage extensions
are installed)
* Put all but obvious '.Net Guest' accounts into both the
'Administrators' and 'Debugger Users' Groups.
* Reapplied WindowsXP Sp1 since I found an MSDN KB article about WinXP
reporting this problem after installing IPv6 (which I have not done.)
* Deleted all projects from my local machine, got latest version from
Source Safe, set the project folders as 'Web Applications' and tried
to open them.

I have searched everywhere I know to look, including this news group.
My next step (after I wait a few hours to see if there are any
suggestions) is to uninstall VS.Net 2003, cross my fingers, and
reinstall. Obviously, this is killing my productivity during a time
that I just don't have much free time. (Do any of us have free time?)

Thanks for any suggestions, including "Uninstall/Reinstall VS.Net
2003".

-Kevin Buchan
(e-mail address removed)

Kevin Buchan

I had tried the first entry in the KB article you refenced, but had
not tried the second part.

<time passes>

I have now tried both, including trying the first again after ensuring
that the DLL is registered and I still get the same error either when
pulling up an existing project or trying to create a new Web Project.

Thanks for the suggestion!

-Kevin

-Kevin Buchan
(e-mail address removed)

Kevin Buchan

No other suggestions? OK, I'm going to reinstall VS.Net and report my
results, in case anyone else runs across this problem.

-Kevin

Kevin Buchan

OK, uninstalling IIS and VS.Net then reinstalling IIS and VS.Net has
not worked either.... still researching a solution while my
development is halted.

-Kevin Buchan
(e-mail address removed)

Alvin Bruney

is iis running when you try to open your project. verify this thru control
manager. forgive me but we have to eliminate the obvious