A couple of NEWBIE questions...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nobody, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    I'm just starting out on asp.net and web dev in general, so be easy on me
    :)... I'm trying to learn asp.net by copying an existing web site, but not
    actually cheating by looking at the source... its basically an online
    shopping site. Anyways...

    I have a master page that has a structure like this:

    HEADER..............

    BRAND SIDE BAR | content

    FOOTER.............

    The brand side bar is actually a repeater control that hits the database for
    a list of brands and stylizes them appropriately with link buttons...

    The "content" area will eventually show a list of all items that belong to
    that brand, or a logon page, etc.

    Right now I have a "Welcome" page (welcome.aspx) that derives from the
    master page, but doesn't show any brand items, its just a greeting page...

    I'm wondering what is the best way to implement the brand pages. I have a
    few problems / questions:

    1) As I said above, the brand bar is currently a repeater control that
    populates link buttons... I was using the post back command that gets posted
    back to the master page, this all worked fine and dandy when I didn't have
    any stylizing on the page, but as soon as I added that, when I click on a
    brand, the whole page flashes...

    how can I use the link button (or something better??) so that the whole page
    doesn't flash when I change categories?

    2) Should I have one aspx page for ALL brands? or should I have an automated
    system of building one aspx page for each brand?

    I'm asking this because I figure with a single brand page, I can build the
    entire web site pretty generically with only a few pages, but I'm under the
    impression that IIS caches the web pages, and if I use the same page, but
    just change the datasource query, it might kill performance, where as, with
    each brand having its on aspx page, that caching will work...

    or maybe I'm completely misunderstanding how asp.net works :)

    Thanks...
    Nobody, Nov 20, 2006

  2. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    I should also mention that the header / footer / content area is built on a
    table, not frames if that makes a difference.
    Nobody, Nov 20, 2006

  3. Nobody

    Boris Twila Guest

    did you try rebooting?
    hahahahah
    Boris Twila, Nov 20, 2006
  4. It would be more concise to use one page for all brands. The issue with the
    screen refreshing is a difficult one to get round. You have two options
    really, step back in time to frames which is never recommended and not a nice
    answer in terms of web standards etc, or use AJAX technologies to only post
    back the content part of the page. You will need to read up on those
    yourself. Microsoft ASP.NET AJAX (aka Altas) is a good start at www.asp.net

    Ciaran O'Donnell

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2lhcmFuIE8nJ0Rvbm5lbGw=?=, Nov 20, 2006
  5. Tables are for showing data, not layout. You should learn css
    (www.alistapart.com is a good site) and use divs and css for positioning and
    layout. The more people ignore web standards, the longer it will be before
    browser makers are forced to implement them.

    Ciaran O'Donnell

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2lhcmFuIE8nJ0Rvbm5lbGw=?=, Nov 20, 2006