    it all for me, but from my searching on the subject I doubt it is
    going to be that easy!

    Thanks

    Nick Craig-Wood, Sep 11, 2006

  2. Nick Craig-Wood

    TheSeeker Guest

    Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
    > Does anyone have some hints / tips / experience with making a cross
    > platform systray icon? It should work on Windows, Gnome and KDE at
    > minimum.
    >
    > I've seen the win32all code which is very similar to the C code I've
    > written before for Windows. It would be a small irritation to have to
    > integrate its event loop with whichever GUI framework I'm using for
    > the rest of it though.

    You might do a search for TaskBarIcon in the wxPython toolkit.

    Duane

    TheSeeker, Sep 11, 2006

  3. Nick Craig-Wood

    Larry Bates Guest

    Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
    > Does anyone have some hints / tips / experience with making a cross
    > platform systray icon? It should work on Windows, Gnome and KDE at
    > minimum.
    >
    > I've seen the win32all code which is very similar to the C code I've
    > written before for Windows. It would be a small irritation to have to
    > integrate its event loop with whichever GUI framework I'm using for
    > the rest of it though.
    >
    > I don't know how to make a systray under KDE/Gnome though, but I think
    > freedesktop has made it a lot easier now. I didn't manage to find a
    > python example - does anyone have one?
    >
    > Ideally I'd like someone to tell me that PyQT, tkinter or PyGTK does
    > it all for me, but from my searching on the subject I doubt it is
    > going to be that easy!
    >
    > Thanks

    Google turned this up.

    http://radio.weblogs.com/0110159/gems/systray_py.txt

    Hope it helps.

    -Larry

    Larry Bates, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Nick Craig-Wood, Sep 11, 2006
  5. TheSeeker <> wrote:
    > Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
    > > Does anyone have some hints / tips / experience with making a cross
    > > platform systray icon? It should work on Windows, Gnome and KDE at
    > > minimum.

    > You might do a search for TaskBarIcon in the wxPython toolkit.

    Yes thank you (and everyone else) who replied with that - that looks
    like just the thing.

    I was able to create a systray icon that worked under linux and
    windows which is great!

    Now to learn wxpython ;-)

    Thanks

    Nick Craig-Wood, Sep 11, 2006