A cross platform systray icon

Nick Craig-Wood

Does anyone have some hints / tips / experience with making a cross
platform systray icon? It should work on Windows, Gnome and KDE at
minimum.

I've seen the win32all code which is very similar to the C code I've
written before for Windows. It would be a small irritation to have to
integrate its event loop with whichever GUI framework I'm using for
the rest of it though.

I don't know how to make a systray under KDE/Gnome though, but I think
freedesktop has made it a lot easier now. I didn't manage to find a
python example - does anyone have one?

Ideally I'd like someone to tell me that PyQT, tkinter or PyGTK does
it all for me, but from my searching on the subject I doubt it is
going to be that easy!

Thanks

TheSeeker

Nick said:
Does anyone have some hints / tips / experience with making a cross
platform systray icon? It should work on Windows, Gnome and KDE at
minimum.

I've seen the win32all code which is very similar to the C code I've
written before for Windows. It would be a small irritation to have to
integrate its event loop with whichever GUI framework I'm using for
the rest of it though.
You might do a search for TaskBarIcon in the wxPython toolkit.

Duane

Larry Bates

Nick said:
Does anyone have some hints / tips / experience with making a cross
platform systray icon? It should work on Windows, Gnome and KDE at
minimum.

I've seen the win32all code which is very similar to the C code I've
written before for Windows. It would be a small irritation to have to
integrate its event loop with whichever GUI framework I'm using for
the rest of it though.

I don't know how to make a systray under KDE/Gnome though, but I think
freedesktop has made it a lot easier now. I didn't manage to find a
python example - does anyone have one?

Ideally I'd like someone to tell me that PyQT, tkinter or PyGTK does
it all for me, but from my searching on the subject I doubt it is
going to be that easy!

Thanks
Google turned this up.

http://radio.weblogs.com/0110159/gems/systray_py.txt

Hope it helps.

-Larry

Nick Craig-Wood

TheSeeker said:
You might do a search for TaskBarIcon in the wxPython toolkit.

Yes thank you (and everyone else) who replied with that - that looks
like just the thing.

I was able to create a systray icon that worked under linux and
windows which is great!

Now to learn wxpython ;-)

Thanks