    Is there any kind of a design pattern that supports such idea ?

    Thank you,
    Efi

    Efi Merdler, Mar 10, 2007

  2. Efi Merdler

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Efi Merdler wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I would like to write a software that supports extendibility i.e.
    > plugins that interact with public API.
    > Is there any kind of a design pattern that supports such idea ?

    There's a pretty fundamental "design pattern" which will do: the
    interface. Declare a plugin interface, which 3rd parties can write
    implementations of.
    i.e. you have something like:

    public interface Plugin {
    public int connectToChicken(int legs);

    public int pollShatner(long kidneys);

    public void close();
    }

    3rd parties then provide classes which implement this interface.

    Also see 'delegation', and perhaps 'strategy pattern'. (Search the web
    for these terms.)

    Alex Hunsley, Mar 10, 2007