A Few More Forrester Survey Questions

Jeff Rush

I'm down to the wire here on answering the Forrester survey but am stumped on
a few questions I hope someone can help me out with.

1) What -existing- examples of the use of Python to create social
web applications are there? These include chat, collaboration,
forum boards, and editable content pages, RSS feeds.

I know I use a lot of these, but under pressure I'm not coming
up with a lot of names. Can you throw a few my way?

2) How easy is it to install an application written in the language?
How is the application deployed?

I'm having some trouble understanding the difference between
"deployment" and "installation". I suspect those words may
have a special meaning to Java developers (who designed the survey)
or to Big Corporate IT developers. Ideas?

I can tell the story of distutils, python eggs and PyPI, and py2exe
and py2mumble for the Mac -- is there more to the story than that?

3) What is the value of the language to developers?

Yeah, a very common, slippery question. Toss me some good
explanations of why -you- value Python. Readable, free,
cross-platform, powerful. What else? I'll synthesize
something out of everyone's answers.

Thanks for any one-line answers you can dash off to me today.

Jeff Rush
Python Advocacy Coordinator

Cameron Laird

.
.
.
2) How easy is it to install an application written in the language?
How is the application deployed?

I'm having some trouble understanding the difference between
"deployment" and "installation". I suspect those words may
have a special meaning to Java developers (who designed the survey)
or to Big Corporate IT developers. Ideas?

I can tell the story of distutils, python eggs and PyPI, and py2exe
and py2mumble for the Mac -- is there more to the story than that?
.
.
.
Oh, yes.

As someone who often says "deploy", even in mixed company, and even writes
about it <URL: http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.misc/deployment.html > on
occasion, I feel obliged to respond.

Meanings, in order of "frequency", for a sense of frequency I assert I can
articulate:
A. installation;
B. installation, but we're trying to sound important,
and "deployment" has an enterpris-y ring to it;
C. something seriously different from installation.
What might C. mean? Say I install a program, but I still have to worry
about how I'm going to configure it within the cluster where I intend to
use it, AND I need to co-ordinate its configuration with the central
database on which it depends, AND I have to tie it in to our license-
management system, AND there are issues with users sharing data and also
protecting data from each other, AND ...--well, all those things that
happen after narrow-sense installation are still part of "deployment".

As it happens, I'm scheduled for a meeting Monday whose subject I'm willing
to paraphrase as, "What does 'deployment' mean?". Let me know after reading
what I've suggested above if you have an appetite for more.

Paul Rubin

What might C. mean? Say I install a program, but I still have to worry
about how I'm going to configure it within the cluster where I intend to
use it, AND I need to co-ordinate its configuration with the central
database on which it depends, AND I have to tie it in to our license-
management system, AND there are issues with users sharing data and also
protecting data from each other, AND ...--well, all those things that
happen after narrow-sense installation are still part of "deployment".

Deployment also refers to pre-installation issues, like buying the
hardware that you're going to install on.

Steve Holden

Paul said:
Deployment also refers to pre-installation issues, like buying the
hardware that you're going to install on.

You *install* programs. You *deploy* "solutions" ;-)

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119