    screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at the bottom of the
    page. If the page only takes up 50% of the screen, then the footer must be
    at the bottom of the screen.

    Craig, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Craig

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Craig" <> wrote:

    >Is there a correct way, without frames, or using table heights or anything,
    >to get a footer at the bottom of a screen if the page isn't bigger than a
    >screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at the bottom of the
    >page. If the page only takes up 50% of the screen, then the footer must be
    >at the bottom of the screen.

    The correct way is to stop wanting that, allow the footer to flow
    beneath the content.

    Btw "page" = the whole content, use "viewport" to refer to a window's
    size, "screen" = the entire display area.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Craig

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Craig wrote:

    > Is there a correct way, without frames, or using table heights or
    > anything, to get a footer at the bottom of a screen if the page isn't
    > bigger than a screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at
    > the bottom of the page. If the page only takes up 50% of the screen, then
    > the footer must be at the bottom of the screen.

    not any browser shows this:
    --
    Jan

    http://213.47.90.11

    Jan Faerber, Sep 27, 2004
  4. Craig

    Jan Faerber Guest

    .... sorry ... bottom
    --
    Jan

    http://213.47.90.11

    Jan Faerber, Sep 27, 2004
  5. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Thanks for that. Pretty new, so excuse the inacurate wording.

    Craig, Sep 27, 2004
  6. Craig

    Matt Jones Guest

    "Craig" <> writes:

    > Is there a correct way, without frames, or using table heights or anything,
    > to get a footer at the bottom of a screen if the page isn't bigger than a
    > screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at the bottom of the
    > page. If the page only takes up 50% of the screen, then the footer must be
    > at the bottom of the screen.

    Take a look at this article at A List Apart:
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/footers/

    Matt

    Matt Jones, Sep 27, 2004
  7. "Craig" <> writes:

    > Is there a correct way, without frames, or using table heights or anything,
    > to get a footer at the bottom of a screen

    No. Define 'correct' first, and why the techniques you do not wish to
    employ (especially 'or anything') do not apply.

    > if the page isn't bigger than a
    > screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at the bottom of the
    > page. If the page only takes up 50% of the screen, then the footer must be
    > at the bottom of the screen.

    Well, with no particular benefit that meets at least my eye, you could
    do so with div soup and css, if that's the objective:

    <http://sandbox.bednarz.nl/css/height/footer.html>

    --
    | ) Più Cabernet,
    -( meno Internet.

    Eric B. Bednarz, Sep 28, 2004
  8. <posted & mailed>

    Jan Faerber wrote:

    > ... sorry ... bottom

    Well... (a) with absolute positioning it will be at the bottom of the
    containing block - which is not "The screen if the page is shorter then the
    screen and the page if the page is longer then the screen" and (b) relative
    positioning would move it 10 pixels from where it would be if it wasn't
    positioned at all.

    So neither of those do what the OP wanted (and B doesn't even come close).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Sep 28, 2004
  9. Craig wrote:

    > anything, to get a footer at the bottom of a screen if the page isn't
    > bigger than a screen height, and if it is, then the footer should be at
    > the bottom of the page.

    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=FooterInfo (the second half of that)

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Sep 28, 2004