A giant list of resources for C++ programmers

Discussion in 'C++' started by Stephen Tyndall, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. I'm not sure whether this counts as off-topic, but here's a huge list of
    books about C++ that I've found highly recommended (kind of slanted towards
    game programming because that's what I'm looking into). You should be able
    to find all of these on Amazon (except for the Barnes & Noble one). Many of
    these are quite expensive. After the books list is a list of magazines and
    a handy web resource list. After that is a list of a few games that are
    available open-source (meaning you can look through the game's code and
    alter it if you want).

    **BOOKS FOR BEGINNERS** - you'll be fine with either of these
    Accelerated C++ (Koenig & Moo - use if you know a language already)
    C++ Primer Plus: Fourth Edition (Stephen Prata)
    C++ Programming in Easy Steps (Mike McGrath, Barnes & Noble)

    **BOOKS FOR ALL C++ PROGRAMMERS** - many are advanced
    AI Game Programming Wisdom/2 (Steven Rabin)
    Algorithms in C++: Parts 1-5: Third Edition (Robert Sedgewick)
    C and C++ Code Capsules (Chuck Allison)
    C++ for Game Programmers (Noel Llopis)
    C++ Gems (Stan Lippman, editor)
    C++ Pointers and Dynamic Memory Management (Michael C. Daconta)
    C++ Strategies and Tactics (Robert B. Murray)
    C++ Templates: The Complete Guide (Vandevoorde, Josuttis)
    Code Complete: 2nd Edition (Steve McConnell)
    Collision Detection in Interactive 3D Environments (Gino van den Bergen)
    Design Patterns (Erich Gamma, et al.)
    Effective C++: 2nd Edition (Scott Meyers)
    Effective STL (Scott Meyers)
    Efficient C++: Performance Programming Techniques (Bulka & Mayhew)
    Exceptional C++ (Herb Sutter)
    Game Coding Complete (Mike McShaffry)
    Game Programming Gems (Mark DeLoura, editor)
    Game Programming Gems II (Mark DeLoura, editor)
    Game Programming Gems 3 (Mark DeLoura, editor)
    Game Programming Gems 4 (Andrew Kirmse, editor)
    Generic Programming and the STL (Matthew H. Austern)
    Graphics Gems IV (Paul S. Heckbert)
    Graphics Gems V (Paul S. Heckbert)
    Industrial Strength C++ Rules and Recommendations (Henricson & Nyquist)
    Interactive Computer Graphics: ...OpenGL: 3rd Edition (Edward Angel)
    Large Scale C++ Software Design (John Lakos)
    Modern C++ Design (Andrei Alexandrescu)
    More C++ Gems (Robert C. Martin)
    More Effective C++ (Scott Meyers)
    More Exceptional C++ (Herb Sutter)
    Multi-Paradigm Design for C++ (James Coplien)
    No Bugs! Delivering Error Free Code in C and C++ (David Thielen)
    Object-Oriented Multithreading using C++ (Hughes & Hughes)
    Practical Debugging in C++ (Ford & Teorey)
    Programming Pearls: 2nd Edition (Jon Bentley)
    Real-time 3D Character Animation with Visual C++ (Nik Lever)
    Real-time 3D Terrain Engines using C++ and DirectX 9 (Gregory Snook)
    Reusability & Software Construction with C and C++ (Jerry D. Smith)
    Ruminations on C++ (Koenig & Moo)
    Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX (Mason McCuskey)
    Standard C++ IOStreams and Locales (Langer & Kreft)
    The Annotated C++ Reference Manual (Ellis & Stroustrup)
    The C++ Programming Language: Special 3rd Edition (Bjarne Stroustrup)
    The C++ Standard: Incorporating Technical Corrigendum No. 1 (important!)
    The C++ Standard Library" A Tutorial and Reference (Nicolai M. Josuttis)
    The Design and Evolution of C++ (Bjarne Stroustrup) - might be outdated
    The Practice of Programming (Kernighan & Pike)
    Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus (Andre LaMothe)

    **MAGAZINES** - Visual Studio seems to lean toward VB.NET
    C/C++ User's Journal
    Visual Studio Magazine

    **WEB RESOURCES** - some of these are for tutorials
    About.com (C/C++/C# tutorials) - cplus.about.com
    ACCU - www.accu.org
    Bjarne Stroustrup's website - www.research.att.com/~bs/homepage.html
    Boost C++ Libraries - www.boost.org
    C/C++ User's Journal - www.cuj.com
    CodeGuru - www.codeguru.com
    comp.lang.c++ FAQ - www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    cplusplus.com - www.cplusplus.com
    flipCode - www.flipcode.com
    Free books - www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html
    Games++ - www.gamespp.com
    MSDN (Visual C++) - msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/
    Programmers' Heaven - www.programmersheaven.com
    The Code Project - www.codeproject.com
    Ultimate Game Programming - www.ultimategameprogramming.com

    **OPEN-SOURCE GAMES** - Google "open source" "game-name"
    Allegiance (500+ MB, but comes with the entire engine!)
    Homeworld
    Quake
    Quake II
    Quake III Arena
    Unreal

    Hope all of this helps. There is some stuff in this list that I've never
    found mentioned anywhere on this newsgroup. If you're interested, I also
    have a smaller list of useful C books (I haven't learned C yet, even though
    it's more a matter of "forgetting" than learning), a list of game design
    books, and a list of a few books for modelers and texturers.
    Stephen Tyndall, Jul 7, 2004

  2. On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:11:49 -0500, Stephen Tyndall <>
    wrote:

    > I'm not sure whether this counts as off-topic, but here's a huge list of
    > books about C++ that I've found highly recommended (kind of slanted
    > towards
    > game programming because that's what I'm looking into).

    If you cut out the game specific stuff then I think this would a useful
    list to post regularly to the group, say once a month. We certainly get
    'can you recommend any books?' type questions fairly often. There's
    already a similar 'available C++ libraries' message that gets posted
    regularly.

    But don't regard my opinion as counting for much, what do other regulars
    think?

    john
    John Harrison, Jul 7, 2004

  3. John Harrison wrote:

    > On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:11:49 -0500, Stephen Tyndall <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure whether this counts as off-topic, but here's a huge list of
    > > books about C++ that I've found highly recommended (kind of slanted
    > > towards
    > > game programming because that's what I'm looking into).

    > If you cut out the game specific stuff then I think this would a useful
    > list to post regularly to the group, say once a month. We certainly get
    > 'can you recommend any books?' type questions fairly often. There's
    > already a similar 'available C++ libraries' message that gets posted
    > regularly.
    >
    > But don't regard my opinion as counting for much, what do other regulars
    > think?

    To John: Excellent idea. Let's convice the OP to do it
    To the OP: Great list. Please post it regularily. Maybe you could give
    permission to include it into Shivas regular Welcome message?

    --
    Karl Heinz Buchegger
    Karl Heinz Buchegger, Jul 7, 2004
  4. John Harrison wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:11:49 -0500, Stephen Tyndall
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not sure whether this counts as off-topic, but here's a huge list of
    >> books about C++ that I've found highly recommended (kind of slanted
    >> towards
    >> game programming because that's what I'm looking into).

    > If you cut out the game specific stuff then I think this would a useful
    > list to post regularly to the group, say once a month. We certainly get
    > 'can you recommend any books?' type questions fairly often. There's
    > already a similar 'available C++ libraries' message that gets posted
    > regularly.
    >
    > But don't regard my opinion as counting for much, what do other
    > regulars think?

    A recommended reading list could be included in the FAQ. This list
    should not be too long (shorter than the one in the original message)
    otherwise you might as direct them to www.accu.org.

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl
    Peter van Merkerk, Jul 7, 2004
  5. Stephen Tyndall wrote:
    > I'm not sure whether this counts as off-topic, but here's a huge list of
    > books about C++ that I've found highly recommended (kind of slanted towards
    > game programming because that's what I'm looking into). You should be able
    > to find all of these on Amazon (except for the Barnes & Noble one). Many of
    > these are quite expensive. After the books list is a list of magazines and
    > a handy web resource list. After that is a list of a few games that are
    > available open-source (meaning you can look through the game's code and
    > alter it if you want).
    >
    > **BOOKS FOR BEGINNERS** - you'll be fine with either of these
    > Accelerated C++ (Koenig & Moo - use if you know a language already)
    > C++ Primer Plus: Fourth Edition (Stephen Prata)
    > C++ Programming in Easy Steps (Mike McGrath, Barnes & Noble)

    I have heard good things for "You Can Do It! : A Beginners Introduction
    to Computer Programming" by Francis Glassborow.

    Regards,

    Ioannis Vranos
    Ioannis Vranos, Jul 7, 2004
  6. Stephen Tyndall

    Sharad Kala Guest

    "John Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:11:49 -0500, Stephen Tyndall <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure whether this counts as off-topic, but here's a huge list of
    > > books about C++ that I've found highly recommended (kind of slanted
    > > towards
    > > game programming because that's what I'm looking into).

    > If you cut out the game specific stuff then I think this would a useful
    > list to post regularly to the group, say once a month. We certainly get
    > 'can you recommend any books?' type questions fairly often. There's
    > already a similar 'available C++ libraries' message that gets posted
    > regularly.
    >
    > But don't regard my opinion as counting for much, what do other regulars
    > think?

    Yes, the list id pretty good. It covers most of the usually recommended C++
    books. Has anyone read "You can do it" by Francis Glasborow? I believe it's
    on the lines of Accelarated C++. Since it's a fairly new book so it could
    have been missed out in this list.

    -Sharad
    Sharad Kala, Jul 7, 2004
  7. Stephen Tyndall

    Sharad Kala Guest

    Same here, but somehow I don't see it's review on http://www.accu.org .
    Sharad Kala, Jul 7, 2004
  8. "John Harrison" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:11:49 -0500, Stephen Tyndall <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure whether this counts as off-topic, but here's a huge list of
    > > books about C++ that I've found highly recommended (kind of slanted
    > > towards
    > > game programming because that's what I'm looking into).

    > If you cut out the game specific stuff then I think this would a useful
    > list to post regularly to the group, say once a month. We certainly get
    > 'can you recommend any books?' type questions fairly often. There's
    > already a similar 'available C++ libraries' message that gets posted
    > regularly.
    >
    > But don't regard my opinion as counting for much, what do other regulars
    > think?
    >
    > john

    Excellent! As the other Peter mentioned, this list should be application
    neutral and not too long. There could instead be a list of recommended web
    sites (accu.org for book-reviews, Dewhursts and Sutters and Stroustrups for
    general C++ info and so on).

    Kind regards
    Peter Koch Larsen
    Peter Koch Larsen, Jul 7, 2004
  9. Peter Koch Larsen wrote:

    > Excellent! As the other Peter mentioned, this list should be application
    > neutral and not too long. There could instead be a list of recommended web
    > sites (accu.org for book-reviews, Dewhursts and Sutters and Stroustrups for
    > general C++ info and so on).

    Actually, strictly speaking, this list is partial. For example in
    http://www.accu.org there is a greater list of recommended and highly
    recommended C++ titles, so a reference to that list is better I guess.
    The only exception is if someone has a particular book in mind, that he
    has read and considers good.

    Regards,

    Ioannis Vranos
    Ioannis Vranos, Jul 7, 2004
  10. "Ioannis Vranos" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Peter Koch Larsen wrote:
    >
    > > Excellent! As the other Peter mentioned, this list should be application
    > > neutral and not too long. There could instead be a list of recommended

    web
    > > sites (accu.org for book-reviews, Dewhursts and Sutters and Stroustrups

    for
    > > general C++ info and so on).

    > Actually, strictly speaking, this list is partial. For example in
    > http://www.accu.org there is a greater list of recommended and highly
    > recommended C++ titles, so a reference to that list is better I guess.
    > The only exception is if someone has a particular book in mind, that he
    > has read and considers good.

    I would consider the recommended entry to consist of only a few of the best
    "application neutral" books (and probably also the C++ standard). That would
    be - perhaps - one Stroustrup book, the Koenig book, the Josuttis template
    book and no doubt some few other.
    The rest should be available via links (accu.org - there might be other out
    there)

    > Regards,
    >
    > Ioannis Vranos

    /Peter
    Peter Koch Larsen, Jul 7, 2004
  11. Sharad Kala () wrote:

    : "Ioannis Vranos" <> wrote in message
    : news:ccgc89$29ie$...
    : > Stephen Tyndall wrote:
    : >
    : > I have heard good things for "You Can Do It! : A Beginners Introduction
    : > to Computer Programming" by Francis Glassborow.

    I've looked at it. It looks good, but it starts from a lower level than
    AC++ - it is assuming a target of someone who has no programming background
    at all. It however follows the same approach of teaching the new bits of
    C++ rather than the legacy C stuff. It looks to go quite far however.
    As for why C++ for a beginner, that's discussed in the introduction.
    Two advantages are first it has a CD with a "sandbox" environment with
    graphics added to standard C++ to provide a safe but usable environment
    (so it claims, I haven't seen it) and second it's a lot cheaper than
    AC++.

    : Same here, but somehow I don't see it's review on http://www.accu.org .

    Now that's a no win proposition. Say the book is great and it looks like
    a good review for one of the ACCU's own. Say the book isn't great and you
    might be overcompensating or something. Perhaps they should list it with
    a non-review review.
    Chris Dearlove, Jul 7, 2004
  12. Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad the list was useful. If you want, I'll
    post a shorter list next month and remove the game-specific stuff (maybe it
    would go better on alt.games.programming?). I'll also add "You Can Do It!"
    to the list next time. I noticed the author sometimes posts on this
    newsgroup.

    Do you guys think I should remove any of the web links? The fact that there
    are several "tutorial" sites seems kind of redundant, but I figured that if
    someone couldn't find an answer on one, they could find it on another.
    Maybe I could separate it into "Tutorial" and "General" sites or something?

    I'm kind of new to C++ and I only own one or two of the books listed. If
    you think some should be removed, I'd appreciate any replies saying so
    (preferably with a reason given). Also, should I divide up the list some
    more (say into "Algorithms," "STL," etc.)? Should I make a list of the ones
    that are generally regarded as being necessities for a C++ programmer
    (Effective C++, The C++ Standard, The C++ Programming Language, etc.)?
    Thanks for the input!
    Stephen Tyndall, Jul 7, 2004
  13. Stephen Tyndall

    Gabe Flores Guest

    "Stephen Tyndall" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm not sure whether this counts as off-topic, but here's a huge list of
    > books about C++ that I've found highly recommended (kind of slanted towards
    > game programming because that's what I'm looking into). You should be able
    > to find all of these on Amazon (except for the Barnes & Noble one). Many of
    > these are quite expensive. After the books list is a list of magazines and
    > a handy web resource list. After that is a list of a few games that are
    > available open-source (meaning you can look through the game's code and
    > alter it if you want).

    I'm new here and would just like to say thank you for such a great
    list. I really appreciate the online resources. I'll be sure to check
    them out! Thanks.
    Gabe Flores, Jul 24, 2004