A good article about vulnerabilities

Chris Torek

"Code injection in C and C++: A survey of vulnerabilities and
Countermeasures" by Younan, Joosen and Piessens (July 2004)

http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/publicaties/rapporten/cw/CW386.pdf

This is a very good review of the current stand in this field.
All problems are described, and the different solutions to them
are reviewed. Recommended

This paper needs at least a little bit of review and work. For
instance, on p. 53, line 2, it says "the processor must not write"
when they mean "need not" or "does not". (Register windows get
written whenever they overflow, which can happen due to hardware
interrupts, among other things, so the timing of writes is not
predictable in advance and "must not" is clearly the wrong phrase.)
Elsewhere, they use the phrase "implicit cast" (there is no such
thing, of course -- what they mean is that signed integers are
*converted* to unsigned values by adding Utype_MAX+1 to them, giving
rise to large positive numbers), and I spotted a sentence fragment.

I would also never dare to make the claim that "all" problems
are described, and from my (not very thorough) reading, neither
do they.