    Thanks,

    Barry.

    , Sep 2, 2008

  2. Jim Z. Shi Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
    > on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.
    >
    > I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but
    > I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Barry.

    eclipse CDT + g++ may help on both Win/Mac platform.

    HTH,
    Jim

    Jim Z. Shi, Sep 2, 2008

  3. writes:
    > What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
    > on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

    GNU cc works as well on MS-Windows than on MacOSX (and includes C,
    C++, Objective-C and some other languages).

    You can easily get GNU cc along with the cygwin package on MS-Windows (http://www.cygwin.com).
    It comes with the developers tools on MacOSX (downloadable for free from http://www.apple.com).

    > I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but

    Lucky guy! GNU cc comes with its own GNU emacs IDE.

    > I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.

    Of course. Mind GNU ld, it comes along GNU cc.

    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__

    Pascal J. Bourguignon, Sep 2, 2008

    On Sep 2, 7:25 am, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
    > on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.
    >
    > I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but
    > I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Barry.

    Microsoft has "express" editions of it's compiler/IDE free for
    download.

    HTH

    , Sep 2, 2008

    On 2 Sep, 13:41, (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
    > writes:
    > > What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
    > > on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

    > GNU cc works as well on MS-Windows than on MacOSX (and includes C,
    > C++, Objective-C and some other languages).
    >
    > You can easily get GNU cc along with the cygwin package on MS-Windows (http://www.cygwin.com).
    > It comes with the developers tools on MacOSX (downloadable for free fromhttp://www.apple.com).
    >
    > > I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but

    > Lucky guy!  GNU cc comes with its own GNU emacs IDE.
    >
    > > I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.

    > Of course.  Mind GNU ld, it comes along GNU cc.
    >
    > --
    > __Pascal Bourguignon__

    Hi again,

    I've installed Cygwin and g++ works on the command prompt. Emacs also
    works on the Command Prompt, but I'd like a nice GUI app to work
    within. Any advice?

    Thanks,

    Barry.

    , Sep 2, 2008
  6. writes:

    > On 2 Sep, 13:41, (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
    >> writes:
    >> > What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
    >> > on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

    >> GNU cc works as well on MS-Windows than on MacOSX (and includes C,
    >> C++, Objective-C and some other languages).
    >>
    >> You can easily get GNU cc along with the cygwin package on MS-Windows (http://www.cygwin.com).
    >> It comes with the developers tools on MacOSX (downloadable for free fromhttp://www.apple.com).
    >>
    >> > I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but

    >> Lucky guy!  GNU cc comes with its own GNU emacs IDE.
    >>
    >> > I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.

    >> Of course.  Mind GNU ld, it comes along GNU cc.
    >>
    >> --
    >> __Pascal Bourguignon__

    > Hi again,
    >
    > I've installed Cygwin and g++ works on the command prompt. Emacs also
    > works on the Command Prompt, but I'd like a nice GUI app to work
    > within. Any advice?

    Ah, it seems cygwin is in a state of flux. Cygwin-X needs a
    maintainer, and most XFree86 packages are removed from cygwin. There
    remains some X packages in cygwin, but I don't know if that includes a
    working X server.

    Anyways, six month ago I installed cygwin-X without a problem, so it
    should still work, I'd hope.

    Then choose emacs-X11 rather than the plain emacs package. This will
    give you the GUI version of emacs.

    Then you can launch X11, and typing emacs in the xterm should launch
    the GUI version of emacs. (It has nice menus and toolbars, and the
    customization is more easily done with the mouse).

    Unfortunately, at the moment I cannot compile emacs with the X11 GUI
    on MacOSX 10.5. But there, you should probably better use Xcode,
    which nice, or use Aquamacs, which is emacs with the Mac GUI.

    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__

    Pascal J. Bourguignon, Sep 2, 2008
  7. James Kanze Guest

    On Sep 2, 1:41 pm, (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
    wrote:
    > writes:
    > > What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
    > > on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

    > GNU cc works as well on MS-Windows than on MacOSX (and
    > includes C, C++, Objective-C and some other languages).

    > You can easily get GNU cc along with the cygwin package on
    > MS-Windows (http://www.cygwin.com).

    The cygwin package doesn't always work that well. For a Unix
    toolkit, the best free one I've found is UWin. (Many, many
    years back, I used the MKS toolkit under MS-DOS, and was very
    pleased with it. But MKS seems to have priced it out of reach
    today.)

    Long term, of course, you do need some sort of toolkit under
    Windows, because the system doesn't come with anything usable.
    For starting, however, it's probably not that necessary.

    > It comes with the developers tools on MacOSX (downloadable for
    > free fromhttp://www.apple.com).

    > > I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type
    > > interface, but

    > Lucky guy! GNU cc comes with its own GNU emacs IDE.

    GNU cc (i.e. gcc) doesn't come with anything for emacs other
    than a .el file for reporting bugs. Cygwin comes with emacs,
    but you can also install emacs (or better yet, gvim)
    independantly. Installing any of these tools, however, does
    require some knowledge of how Windows organizes things, in order
    to set the necessary path variables, etc. For that, you're
    better off installing CygWin, which does take care of that
    aspect for you (not optimally, but adequately for simple
    things).

    Having said that, if he's just starting, a classical IDE might
    be preferable; there's no point in having to learn makefile's at
    the same time you're learning the language. (In any industrial
    use, of course, you'll quickly run up against the limits of the
    IDE, and end up writing your own makefiles anyway. In which
    case, GNU make is an order of magnitude more powerful than any
    of the other make's I've seen.)

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:

    James Kanze, Sep 2, 2008
  8. wrote:
    > What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
    > on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

    Well, you could try this:

    http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

    Juha Nieminen, Sep 2, 2008
  9. kwikius Guest

    Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    > * :
    >>
    >> What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
    >> on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.
    >>
    >> I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but
    >> I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.

    > g++ is available for both your systems.

    Best way to learn C++ is to try writing a compiler for it yourself

    I did ... :)

    regards
    Andy Little

    kwikius, Sep 2, 2008
  10. kwikius wrote:
    > Best way to learn C++ is to try writing a compiler for it yourself
    >
    > I did ... :)

    You did try, or you did write? :)

    --
    Gennaro Prota | name.surname yahoo.com
    Breeze C++ (preview): <https://sourceforge.net/projects/breeze/>

    Gennaro Prota, Sep 3, 2008
  11. kwikius Guest

    On Sep 3, 12:50 am, Gennaro Prota <gennaro/> wrote:
    > kwikius wrote:
    >
    > > Best way to learn C++ is to try writing a compiler for it yourself

    > > I did ... :)

    > You did try, or you did write? :)

    Sadly an unfinished masterpiece that one. Especially since it was
    written using VC++6 :)

    regards
    Andy Little

    kwikius, Sep 4, 2008
  12. hemu Guest

    hemu, Sep 5, 2008
  13. Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 07:30:26 -0700 (PDT), <> wrote:
    > On 2 Sep, 13:41, (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
    >> writes:
    >> > What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
    >> > on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

    >> GNU cc works as well on MS-Windows than on MacOSX (and includes C,
    >> C++, Objective-C and some other languages).
    >>
    >> You can easily get GNU cc along with the cygwin package on MS-Windows (http://www.cygwin.com).
    >> It comes with the developers tools on MacOSX (downloadable for free fromhttp://www.apple.com).
    >>
    >> > I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but

    >> Lucky guy!  GNU cc comes with its own GNU emacs IDE.

    They're not that closely related. I don't think emacs is aware of gcc
    at all.

    >> > I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.

    >> Of course.  Mind GNU ld, it comes along GNU cc.

    Note that you never call ld directly, you tell g++ to perform a
    linking step.

    > I've installed Cygwin and g++ works on the command prompt. Emacs also
    > works on the Command Prompt, but I'd like a nice GUI app to work
    > within. Any advice?

    I would have chosen the Mac for learning C++, but ...

    On Windows, don't bother with the Cygwin version of emacs. There is
    a pure Windows version available, which is as nice as the Unix/X11
    version.

    Unfortunately, you need a good editor like Emacs, but Emacs takes time
    and effort to make the most of. As a very, very quick first tip,
    add this to your ~/.emacs:

    (setq default-tab-width 8)
    (c-set-style "k&r")
    (setq c-basic-offset 4)
    (line-number-mode 't)
    (setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
    (global-font-lock-mode)
    (global-set-key [C-tab] 'dabbrev-expand)

    I could have pointed you to some Windows-only IDE, but Emacs is
    available *everywhere*, useful for *all* text editing, and will
    probably still exist when we are all dead. Whatever you learn now
    will still be useful in twenty years.

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Sep 8, 2008