    for something that will show me how to do things and not just tell me
    what things can be done with JavaScript.

    Thanks folks!
    jamiil, Jun 4, 2007

  2. jamiil

    rickcasey Guest

    On Jun 4, 10:47 am, jamiil <> wrote:
    > Does any know what book/website would be good for me, an middle-
    > beginner, if what I'm looking for is a hands-on, example-loaded
    > reference book/website? More specifically, what I am looking for is
    > for something that will show me how to do things and not just tell me
    > what things can be done with JavaScript.
    >
    > Thanks folks!

    Best book I've seen personally (no claim to "gurudom"!) is Danny
    Goodman's "Javascript & DHTML Cookbook". He's been around forever, and
    the book is chock full of code examples, which I've used frequently to
    solve tough web GUI problems at work. Check it out at www.dannyg.com...

    --rick
    rickcasey, Jun 4, 2007

  3. jamiil

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "jamiil" <> wrote in message
    > Does any know what book/website would be good for me, an middle-
    > beginner, if what I'm looking for is a hands-on, example-loaded
    > reference book/website? More specifically, what I am looking for is
    > for something that will show me how to do things and not just tell me
    > what things can be done with JavaScript.
    >
    > Thanks folks!

    Here is a decent tutorial site:
    www.w3schools.com
    and for a reference
    http://devguru.com
    The 'regulars' on this newsgroup will expose many flaws at both sites, but
    you can at least read and learn without being flamed at those web sites.
    Then of course read the 'faqs' for this website, even with the flames, there
    are some decent folks here
    Hal Rosser, Jun 4, 2007
  4. In comp.lang.javascript message <zA09i.8075$.
    net>, Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:43:49, Hal Rosser <>
    posted:

    >"jamiil" <> wrote in message
    >> Does any know what book/website would be good for me, an middle-
    >> beginner, if what I'm looking for is a hands-on, example-loaded
    >> reference book/website? More specifically, what I am looking for is
    >> for something that will show me how to do things and not just tell me
    >> what things can be done with JavaScript.
    >>
    >> Thanks folks!

    >Here is a decent tutorial site:
    >www.w3schools.com
    >and for a reference
    > http://devguru.com
    >The 'regulars' on this newsgroup will expose many flaws at both sites, but
    >you can at least read and learn without being flamed at those web sites.
    >Then of course read the 'faqs' for this website, even with the flames, there
    >are some decent folks here

    But this is not a website; and it's extremely rate for those who read
    and learn here to be flamed, unless they also write.

    The devguru site has a run-time error in the first page, which tends to
    destroy confidence - and four or five in the first javascript page - and
    the Date page has the usual error in all but one of the possible places
    - and it says getFullYear returns a four-digit year - and it says new
    Date() gives today's date - ...

    While it correctly determines the number of milliseconds to the next
    millennium, it does not consider the possible effect of Summer Time in
    converting that to days. It will therefore be wrong, even in most of
    the country it's written for, for an hour each day in Summer; and ISTM
    for a different hour each day in much of Australia in Winter.

    And www.w3schools.com is similar, except for lacking the example and its
    errors, and the place where devguru was right.

    --
    (c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Delphi 3? Turnpike 6.05
    <URL:http://www.bancoems.com/CompLangPascalDelphiMisc-MiniFAQ.htm> clpdmFAQ;
    Dr J R Stockton, Jun 5, 2007
  5. jamiil

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "Dr J R Stockton" <> wrote in message
    > In comp.lang.javascript message <zA09i.8075$.
    > net>, Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:43:49, Hal Rosser <>
    > posted:
    > The devguru site has a run-time error in the first page, which tends to
    > destroy confidence - and four or five in the first javascript page - and
    > the Date page has the usual error in all but one of the possible places
    > - and it says getFullYear returns a four-digit year - and it says new
    > Date() gives today's date - ...
    >
    > While it correctly determines the number of milliseconds to the next
    > millennium, it does not consider the possible effect of Summer Time in
    > converting that to days. It will therefore be wrong, even in most of
    > the country it's written for, for an hour each day in Summer; and ISTM
    > for a different hour each day in much of Australia in Winter.
    >
    > And www.w3schools.com is similar, except for lacking the example and its
    > errors, and the place where devguru was right.
    >
    > --
    > (c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Delphi 3? Turnpike
    > 6.05
    > <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/&c., FAQqy topics &
    > links;
    > <URL:http://www.bancoems.com/CompLangPascalDelphiMisc-MiniFAQ.htm>
    > clpdmFAQ;
    > <URL:http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html> news:borland.*
    > Guidelines

    To the OP
    See - I told ya they would point out those flaws. :)
    Hal Rosser, Jun 7, 2007

    On Oct 9 2006, 9:37 am, "Navodit" <> wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good starting tutorial for Javascript? Basically I
    > want to learn enough of Javascript so that I can work with Google Maps API
    > (http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/). Thanks

    I think this link should help...

    Flanagan's book is the book to have. It is mentioned in the group faq

    Watch out for errata.

    The only other books I would consider are the new Apress book written
    by Resig and the Wrox books by Zakas based on the author reputations.

    You can watch all the videos here <URL: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/>

    I think the Crockford videos are great and so is crockford.com. I
    don't use his style of JavaScript OOP but he seems to like it.

    This newsgroup is the highest quality source of advice. I've learned a
    lot!

    Peter
    Peter Michaux, Jun 7, 2007
  7. In comp.lang.javascript message <>,
    Mon, 4 Jun 2007 17:21:41, Randy Webb <> posted:
    >jamiil said the following on 6/4/2007 12:47 PM:

    >> Does any know what book/website

    >The best way to answer that question is to tell you to check the group
    >FAQ as that very question is asked/answered in the FAQ.

    Although the formal spec is sufficiently mentioned in the FAQ for those
    who are seeking it; ISTM that it could be useful to add to FAQ section
    3.1 - no, to 3 before 3.1 - something along the lines of :-

    Books and Web sites are rarely 100% reliable. It may, therefore, be wise
    to refer in parallel to the formal specification _Sec 2.6_ and compare
    details.

    The final word of se3ction 2.8 could be spelt better.

    Is there a Web description of the Date Object along the lines of those
    commonly seen, but free of errors and omissions? I mean those made up
    like

    getFullYear
    Returns the year of the specified date according to local time.

    getHours
    Returns the hour in the specified date according to local time.

    getMilliseconds
    Returns the milliseconds in the specified date according to local time.

    and omissions like not indicating what setYear(9) does.

    --
    (c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 6.
    Dr J R Stockton, Jun 7, 2007