A good portable text editor/IDE for Ruby?

Reiichi Tyrael

I am searching for a good portable text editor or IDE for Ruby to use on
my pen drive, I am not interested in other languages, neither Ruby on
Rails, just a very good place to write Ruby code. Any idea?

Caleb Clausen

I am searching for a good portable text editor or IDE for Ruby to use on
my pen drive, I am not interested in other languages, neither Ruby on
Rails, just a very good place to write Ruby code. Any idea?

What is your definition of 'portable'? Something that runs from the
same installation dir across different operating systems? Different
distributions of linux? Or just different machines running the same
OS/distribution?

This page might be helpful:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al_hzYODcgxwdG9tUFhqcVVoUDVaLTlqT2YtNjV1N0E&hl=en

The topic of ruby ides comes up periodically here, and usually
generates a long thread, so search the archives. The matrix above came
about from this previous incarnation of this topic, for instance:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/195926

I'm somewhat skeptical that you'll find something truly portable (to
different OSs)... editors tend to depend on a lot of system specific
stuff and require a big stack of gui libraries underneath. You should
be able to get, say, 2 different installations (mac and windows) of
the same editor going on your pen drive. You might also have luck with
something java-based, if you want to assume that whatever machine it's
used on has a JVM installed.

Reiichi Tyrael

What is your definition of 'portable'? Something that runs from the
same installation dir across different operating systems? Different
distributions of linux? Or just different machines running the same
OS/distribution?

Something that runs from the same installation dir on my USB PenDrive
across different computers without need to install the editor on those
computers. If it runs on windows is just perfect, compatibility for
linux will be even better, but not essential.
Already view it before posting, but it doesn't say if it's portable.
The topic of ruby ides comes up periodically here, and usually
generates a long thread, so search the archives. The matrix above came
about from this previous incarnation of this topic, for instance:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/195926
I know, but I read a lot before posting (even that one), but there
aren't talking about portable ones...
gvim and notepad++ are offered

Yea, but they are good general editors, I want something more Ruby
oriented...

Reiichi Tyrael

It will be awesome if is an IDE where I can run programs directly in it
(like in RubyMine pressing F5) using the portable Ruby interpreter so I
can work in Ruby in any place *_* (maybe even with a debugger!)

Mohit Sindhwani

It will be awesome if is an IDE where I can run programs directly in it
(like in RubyMine pressing F5) using the portable Ruby interpreter so I
can work in Ruby in any place *_* (maybe even with a debugger!)

This site:
http://portableapps.com/apps
shows gVim and Notepad++ as portable apps.

Cheers,
Mohit.
5/3/2010 | 3:51 PM.

Marc Weber

Excerpts from Benedikt Müller's message of Fri Mar 05 06:34:03 +0100
2010:
GVim is the only thing zou need :)

If you go that way give vim-addon-manager a try.

http://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager

doc/*.txt explains how to use it.

Then you can install vim-ruby and vim-ruby-debugger easily.

You'll get vim-addon-actions.

Pressing <s-F2> or such will show you some options such as:
map F2 to running ruby or rpec.
There is also a command called "ActionOn(Buf)Write" which will run
ruby / spec whenever you save this / a buffer.

It's convinient to use. You can sent bug reports to me.

Marc Weber

Benedikt Müller

2010/3/5 Reiichi Tyrael said:
Yea, but they are good general editors, I want something more Ruby
oriented...
You can have gvim veeery Ruby oriented. I'd recommend installing
snipmate and creating binds for ruby(eg F5 for run..).

--=20
Gru=C3=9F, Benedikt

Eric Promislow

You could run Komodo off a pen-drive, with a separate director for
the binaries for each platform (Windows, OSX, Linux), and one
portable profile directory. You'd need to set the
KOMODO_USERDATADIR env. var to point to the USB drive, but
that should be all.

We sometimes use python's pickle to serialize data -- I'm assuming
that this will be portable across platforms.

- Eric

thunk

I am searching for a good portable text editor or IDE for Ruby to use on
my pen drive, I am not interested in other languages, neither Ruby on
Rails, just a very good place to write Ruby code. Any idea?

Just my quick 1 cent worth, without studying all the replies: The
sciTe editor is "solid", fast, has "decent" Ruby support. You could
do worse if you don't find what you are looking for
specifically....imho. I also just want to mention "EditRocket"
which is sold for something like $39 and has some nice features I lust
after, and I suspect you are not too likely to hear about them
otherwise...

SciTe does X & windoz
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

http://www.editrocket.com/features/ruby_editor.html

Thunk

Robert Klemme

2010/3/5 Reiichi Tyrael said:
I am searching for a good portable text editor or IDE for Ruby to use on
my pen drive, I am not interested in other languages, neither Ruby on
Rails, just a very good place to write Ruby code. Any idea?

If I'm not mistaken nobody suggested JEdit yet.

http://www.jedit.org/

Cheers

robert

Suraj Kurapati

Reid Thompson wrote in post #894443:

For similar functionality in Vim, check out the Screen[1] plugin
which sends text from a Vim buffer or selection to any console
application running inside a chosen GNU Screen session (and
therefore supports any REPL you want). It even takes care of
starting up a new GNU Screen session for you, if you're lazy!

In particular, if you run `irb` or `ripl` or `pry` in your GNU
Screen session, then sending text from Vim to that session makes
this whole arrangement a powerful Ruby-oriented IDE.

[1]: https://github.com/ervandew/screen