a great deal

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by ravenwolf, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. ravenwolf

    ravenwolf Guest

    IT'S SIMPLE AND IT'S LEGAL!!!!!!! I found this on a bulletin board
    and decided to try it a little while back; I was browsing through
    news groups just as you are right now and came across an article
    similar to this saying that you could make thousands of dollars
    within weeks with only an initial investment of $6.00!! So, I thought
    yeah right. This must be a scam, but like most of us, I as curious,
    so I kept reading. Anyway, it said that you send one dollar to each
    of the six names and addresses stated in the article. You then delete
    the first address and change the numbers. (2 becomes 1, 3 becomes 2,
    etc.) Place your own name and address on the bottom of the list at
    number 6 and post the article to at least 200 newsgroups. (There are
    thousands) No catch that was it. Therefore, after talking to a few
    people and thinking it over I decided to try it. What do I have to
    lose except 6 stamps and $6.00 right? Then I invested the measly six
    dollars. WELL GUESS WHAT!!! Within 7 days, I started getting money in
    the mail!!! I was shocked. I though it was going to stop but it just
    kept coming. In my first week, I made $25.00. By the end of the
    second week, I had $900.00. In the third week, I made $5,000.00!!!
    It's still growing right now. This is my fourth week and I have made
    a total of just over $38,000.00! Moreover, it's still coming in
    rapidly. This is certainly worth $6.00 and 6 stamps. I have spent
    more then that on the lottery!! Let me tell you how this works and
    most importantly why it works... Also make sure that you print a copy
    of this article NOW so you can get the information off of it, as you
    need it. I promise you that if you follow the directions exactly,
    that you will start making more money than you possibly thought just
    by doing something so easy!! SUGGESTION: READ THIS ENTIRE MESSAGE
    CAREFULLY (Print it out or download it) Follow the simple directions
    and watch the money come in! It's easy. It's legal. And your
    investment is only $6.00 (plus postage) IMPORTANT: This is not a rip
    off; it is not indecent; it is not illegal; and it is virtually no
    risk - it really works!!!!! If all of the following instructions are
    adhered to, you will receive extraordinary dividends. PLEASE NOTE:
    please follow these directions exactly and $50,000 or more can be
    yours in 20-60 days. This program remains successful because of the
    honesty and integrity of the participants. Please continue its
    success by carefully adhering to the instructions. You will now
    become a part of the mail order business. In this business, your
    product it not solid and tangible, it's a service. You are in the
    business of developing a mailing list. Many large corporations are
    happy to pay big bucks for quality list. However, the money made from
    the mailing list is secondary to the income, which is made from
    people like you and me asking to be included to that list. Here are
    the four steps to success: STEP 1: Get 6 separate sheets of paper
    write the following on each piece of paper "PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR
    MAILING LIST." Now get 6 US 1 dollar bills and place ONE inside EACH
    of the six pieces of paper so the bill will not be seen through the
    envelope to prevent thievery. Next, place one paper in each of the
    six envelopes and seal them. MAKE SURE THERE ARE ENOUGH STAMPS ON
    YOUR ENVELOPES. You should now have 6 sealed envelopes, each with a
    piece of paper stating the above phrase your name and address and a
    $1.00 bill. What you are doing is creating a service. THIS IS
    ABSOLUTELY LEGAL! You are requesting a legitimate service and you are
    paying for it! Like most of us, I was a little skeptical and a little
    worried about the legal aspects of it all. So, I checked it out with
    the U.S. Post Office (1-800-725-2161) and they confirmed that it is
    indeed legal!!!!! Mail the six envelopes to the following addresses
    ..
    #1) Rupert Springsteen 2103 E. Pine St. Tucson, AZ 85706

    #2) Mark Finch 4909 S. Cherry Ave. Tucson, AZ 85706

    #3) Joanty Gomez 6131 South Meade Ave. Chicago, IL 60638

    #4) Kasey Nicoletti 127 cherry lane Medford, NY 11763

    #5) Alexis Beadles 22310 Audrey, Warren Mi, 48091

    #6) Shane MacDonald 502-43 Powell St., Vancouver, BC , Canada, V6A 1E9

    STEP 2: Now take the #1 name off the list that you see above, move
    the other names up (6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, etc...) and add YOUR name
    as number 6 on the list. STEP 3: Change anything you need to but try
    to keep this article as original as possible. Now post your amended
    article to at least 200 news groups. (I think there are 24,000
    groups) All you need is 200, but remember, the more you post, the
    more money you make!! ** EVERYBODY AROUND THE WORLD CAN DO THIS BUT
    REMEMBER TO PUT ENOUGH STAMPS ON YOUR ENVELOPES!!!! ** This is
    perfectly legal! If you have any doubts, refer to title 18 sec. 1302
    & 1341 of the postal lottery laws. Keep a copy of these steps for
    your self and whenever you need money, you can use it again and
    again. PLEASE REMEMBER that this program remains successful because
    of the honesty and integrity of the participants and by carefully
    adhering to the directions. Look at it this way, if you are of
    integrity, the program will continue and the money that so many
    others have received will come your way. NOTE: You may want to retain
    every name and address sent to you, on either a computer or a hard
    copy and keeps the notes people sent you. This verifies that you are
    truly providing a service. (Remember to wrap the $1 bill in the note
    to prevent mail theft.) So, as each post is downloaded and the
    directions carefully followed, six members will be reimbursed for
    their participation as a list developed with one dollar each. Your
    name will move up the list geometrically so that when your name
    reaches the #1 spot you will be receiving thousands of dollars in
    CASH!!!! What an opportunity for only $6.00 ($1 for each of the 6
    people listed above) Send it now, add your own name to the list and
    you're in business! DIRECTIONS: HOW TO POST TO NEWS GROUPS STEP 1:
    You do not need to retype this entire letter to do your own posting.
    Simply put your cursor at the beginning of this letter and drag your
    cursor to the bottom of this document, and select "copy" from the
    edit menu. This will copy the entire letter into the computers
    memory. STEP 2: Open a blank notepad file and place your cursor at
    the top of the blank page. From the edit menu, select "paste". This
    will paste the copy of the letter into the notepad so you can add
    your name to the list. STEP 3: Save your new notepad file as a .txt
    file. If you want to do your own postings in different settings,
    you'll always have this file to come back to. STEP 4: Use Netscape
    and Internet Explorer and try searching for various news groups (on-
    line forums, message boards, chat sites, discussions.) STEP 5: Visit
    these message boards and post this article as a new message by
    highlighting the text of this letter and selecting "paste"from the
    edit menu. Fill in the subject, this will be the header that everyone
    sees as they scroll through the list of postings in a particular
    group, click the post message button. You're done with the first one!
    CONGRATULATIONS... THAT'S IT! All you have to do is jump to different
    news groups and post away, after you get the hang of it, it will take
    30 seconds for each news group! **REMEMBER THE MORE NEWSGROUPS YOU
    POST IN (MESSAGE BOARDS, ETC...) THE MORE MONEY YOU WILL MAKE!! BUT YOU
    HAVE TO POST A MINIMUM OF 200. That's it! You will begin receiving
    money from around the world within days. You may want to eventually
    rent a P.O. Box due to the large amount of mail you will receive. If
    you wish to stay anonymous, you can invent a name to use as long as
    the postman will deliver it. **JUST MAKE SURE THE ADDRESS IS
    CORRECT** Let me break it down, say I receive only 5 replies, so then
    I made $5 with my name it number 6 on the letter. Now each of the 5
    persons who just sent me $1 made the MINIMUM 200 postings, each with
    my name at #5 and only 5 people respond to the original 5 people.
    That is another $25 for me. Now those 25 people make the MINIMUM 200
    post with my name at #4 and only 5 replies each, I will make $125.
    Now, those 125 people post the MINIMUM 200 postings with my name at
    #3 and only get 5 replies each, I will make an additional $625! O.k.,
    now here's the fun part each of those 625 people post a MINIMUM 200
    with my name at #2 and they only get 5 replies they just made me
    $3,125!!! Those 3125 people send a MINIMUM 200 posting and they only
    get 5 replies each with my name at #1, I will receive $15,625!!! With
    an original investment of $6!!! AMAZING!!!! . When your name is no
    longer on the list, you just take the latest postings in the news
    groups and send out another $6 to names on the list putting yourself
    at #6 and start posting again. Thousands of people are joining the
    Internet each day and they are reading articles like these just as
    you are right now. So this can never be played out just keep it going
    and you can make tons of money to!!!! Please try it now and make big
    bucks in a few short weeks!!!!!!
    ravenwolf, Feb 10, 2006

  2. ravenwolf

    Guest

    SCAMMER
    , Feb 10, 2006

  3. writes:
    > SCAMMER

    <sarcasm>Really? How did you figure it out?</sarcasm>

    *Please* don't post followups to spam. Either ignore it or complain
    to the poster's service provide. (If you do the latter, be careful;
    a lot of spams use a forged return address.)

    Keith Thompson, Feb 10, 2006
  4. ravenwolf

    pete Guest

    --
    pete
    pete, Feb 10, 2006
  5. "Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > writes:
    > > SCAMMER

    > <sarcasm>Really? How did you figure it out?</sarcasm>
    >
    > *Please* don't post followups to spam. Either ignore it

    Good choice.

    > or complain
    > to the poster's service provide[sic].

    Bad choice.

    The ISP can't take any action against the spammer on it's own because it
    would result in an "interception" of communications under 18 U.S.C. Section
    2510 which is a Federal felony. However, if the 'spammer' is a sufficiently
    large nuisance to the ISP, you might be able to persuade the ISP to spend
    it's money on attorney fees to sue in court under the CANSPAM act.

    Rod Pemberton
    Rod Pemberton, Feb 11, 2006
  6. ravenwolf

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Rod Pemberton wrote:
    > "Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> writes:
    >>> SCAMMER

    >> <sarcasm>Really? How did you figure it out?</sarcasm>
    >>
    >> *Please* don't post followups to spam. Either ignore it

    > Good choice.
    >
    >> or complain
    >> to the poster's service provide[sic].

    > Bad choice.
    >
    > The ISP can't take any action against the spammer on it's own because it
    > would result in an "interception" of communications under 18 U.S.C. Section
    > 2510 which is a Federal felony.

    Not here it wouldn't since USA laws don't apply (yet) in the UK.

    In any case, the ISP is quite entitled to terminate service or access to
    part of a service. Even in the USA.

    > However, if the 'spammer' is a sufficiently
    > large nuisance to the ISP, you might be able to persuade the ISP to spend
    > it's money on attorney fees to sue in court under the CANSPAM act.

    Just terminating the contract is sufficient.
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Living in interesting times.
    Flash Gordon, Feb 11, 2006
  7. "Flash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Rod Pemberton wrote:
    > > "Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > >> <sarcasm>Really? How did you figure it out?</sarcasm>
    > >>
    > >> *Please* don't post followups to spam. Either ignore it

    > > Good choice.
    > >
    > >> or complain
    > >> to the poster's service provide[sic].

    > > Bad choice.
    > >
    > > The ISP can't take any action against the spammer on it's own because it
    > > would result in an "interception" of communications under 18 U.S.C.

    Section
    > > 2510 which is a Federal felony.

    > Not here it wouldn't since USA laws don't apply (yet) in the UK.
    >
    > In any case, the ISP is quite entitled to terminate service or access to
    > part of a service. Even in the USA.

    In the USA, the ISP is not "entitled" to terminate anything. It depends on
    the contract terms, and whether the judge declares those terms to be valid.
    If an ISP terminates a contract without the contractual right to do so, it
    is 'breach of contract', even in the UK. In the USA, a judge has the legal
    right to nullify any portion of any contract for any reason even if the
    contract is 100% legal in the opinions of other judges. However, the judges
    usually stick to strict and fair implementation of our laws.

    Any high volume broadband access user is likely to have a commercial
    contract where his or her terms are more favorable to commercial uses,
    including SPAM, of the Internet than an individual or family account. Most
    ISPs, that I've used here, have very limited restrictions on usage except
    for a clarification on what requires the purchase of commercial account.
    They'll usually restrict certain illegal activities, which of course are
    already illegal. You can see examples commercial use with the recent
    announcements by AOL and Yahoo allowing SPAM from commercial accounts to
    bypass email users private filters for a modest fee.

    Rod Pemberton
    Rod Pemberton, Feb 11, 2006
  8. ravenwolf

    pete Guest

    [ot]Ponzi scheme, Re: a great deal

    Rod Pemberton wrote:

    > "Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > > writes:
    > > > SCAMMER

    > The ISP can't take any action against the spammer on it's
    > own because it
    > would result in an "interception" of communications under
    > 18 U.S.C. Section 2510 which is a Federal felony.

    Spam is not the main problem with this particular thread.

    It's a Ponzi scheme, it's fraud,
    and it is illegal in the USA and many other countries.

    http://www.ftc.gov/speeches/other/dvimf16.htm

    More recently in October 1997,
    the Commission helped coordinate the first
    "International Internet Surf Day."
    Agencies from 24 countries joined this effort
    and targeted "get-rich-quick"
    schemes on the Internet, including pyramid schemes.(41)

    41. International participants included Australia, Austria, Belgium,
    Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Hungary,
    Ireland, Jamaica, Japan, Korea, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway,
    the Philippines, Poland, Portugal, South Africa, Spain,
    Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

    --
    pete
    pete, Feb 11, 2006
  9. On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 07:40:41 -0500, in comp.lang.c , "Rod Pemberton"
    <> wrote:

    >"Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> or complain to the poster's service provide[sic].

    >Bad choice.
    >
    >The ISP can't take any action against the spammer on it's own

    You're completely wrong here - ISPs can simply dump the spammer.
    They're under absolutely no obligation to carry his traffic whether
    it breaches their AUP or not. They might need to give him notice of
    course.

    >because it
    >would result in an "interception" of communications under 18 U.S.C. Section
    >2510 which is a Federal felony. However, if the 'spammer' is a sufficiently
    >large nuisance to the ISP, you might be able to persuade the ISP to spend
    >it's money on attorney fees to sue in court under the CANSPAM act.

    This is complete garbage.
    Mark McIntyre
    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Feb 11, 2006
  10. On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 09:42:28 -0500, in comp.lang.c , "Rod Pemberton"
    <> wrote:

    >In the USA, the ISP is not "entitled" to terminate anything.

    Oh, don't be fatuous. I've never seen an contract which didn't give
    them the right to terminate with notice.

    >It depends on the contract terms,

    Sure.

    >and whether the judge declares those terms to be valid.

    And no judge in his right mind would rule a termination clause
    illegal.

    >Any high volume broadband access user is likely to have a commercial
    >contract where his or her terms are more favorable to commercial uses,
    >including SPAM,

    Exceptionally unlikely. You really have no clue what you're talking
    about.

    >You can see examples commercial use with the recent
    >announcements by AOL and Yahoo allowing SPAM from commercial accounts to
    >bypass email users private filters for a modest fee.

    This is a completely different kettle of fish, though I do agree it is
    merely a spammer's charter.
    Mark McIntyre
    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Feb 11, 2006
  11. ravenwolf

    Default User Guest

    Mark McIntyre wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 07:40:41 -0500, in comp.lang.c , "Rod Pemberton"
    > <> wrote:

    [blither blather]

    > You're completely wrong here

    Why do you keep arguing with this idiot? He's made it clear that he
    cares nothing for the newsgroup and is determined to disrupt it. You
    are helping.

    Brian
    Default User, Feb 12, 2006