    So does anyone know of a general GUI framework for running
    simulations?
    , Jan 23, 2008

  2. 2008/1/23, <>:
    > Hello! I am currently working on writing a simulation engine for
    > special relativity physics. I'm writing it in Python, of course. I'm
    > doing fine with the engine, but I want a GUI framework in which I
    > could use it conveniently, and test different setups on it. I'm not so
    > strong with GUI programming. I looked at Tkinter, I looked at
    > WxPython, I looked at PythonCard. It all looks pretty daunting.
    >
    > My question is, does there exist a GUI package that is intended
    > specifically for simulations? I saw a program called Golly, which is a
    > simulation for Conway's Game of Life. Its GUI had most of the features
    > I needed. For example, you can load a setup, there are "play" and
    > "stop" buttons, you can change a setup and save it, etc.

    Golly uses wxWidgets, and if you are planning to use Python then you
    would be using wxPython.

    > So does anyone know of a general GUI framework for running
    > simulations?

    All them serves this purpose. The main part of your gui application
    will be a custom widget that you will need to do yourself.

    -- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves
    Guilherme Polo, Jan 23, 2008

  3. Stef Mientki Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello! I am currently working on writing a simulation engine for
    > special relativity physics. I'm writing it in Python, of course. I'm
    > doing fine with the engine, but I want a GUI framework in which I
    > could use it conveniently, and test different setups on it. I'm not so
    > strong with GUI programming. I looked at Tkinter, I looked at
    > WxPython, I looked at PythonCard. It all looks pretty daunting.
    >
    > My question is, does there exist a GUI package that is intended
    > specifically for simulations? I saw a program called Golly, which is a
    > simulation for Conway's Game of Life. Its GUI had most of the features
    > I needed. For example, you can load a setup, there are "play" and
    > "stop" buttons, you can change a setup and save it, etc.
    >
    > So does anyone know of a general GUI framework for running
    > simulations?

    although quit premature,
    PyLab_Works might be of interest,
    see some demos here (watch the demo at the bottom first):
    http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pylab_works/pw_animations_screenshots.html

    (you can contact me offline if PyLab_Works looks interesting to you).

    cheers,
    Stef Mientki
    Stef Mientki, Jan 23, 2008

    On Jan 23, 5:12 pm, Stef Mientki <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hello! I am currently working on writing a simulation engine for
    > > special relativity physics. I'm writing it in Python, of course. I'm
    > > doing fine with the engine, but I want a GUI framework in which I
    > > could use it conveniently, and test different setups on it. I'm not so
    > > strong with GUI programming. I looked at Tkinter, I looked at
    > > WxPython, I looked at PythonCard. It all looks pretty daunting.

    > > My question is, does there exist a GUI package that is intended
    > > specifically for simulations? I saw a program called Golly, which is a
    > > simulation for Conway's Game of Life. Its GUI had most of the features
    > > I needed. For example, you can load a setup, there are "play" and
    > > "stop" buttons, you can change a setup and save it, etc.

    > > So does anyone know of a general GUI framework for running
    > > simulations?

    > although quit premature,
    > PyLab_Works might be of interest,
    > see some demos here (watch the demo at the bottom first):http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pylab_works/pw_animations_sc...
    >
    > (you can contact me offline if PyLab_Works looks interesting to you).
    >
    > cheers,
    > Stef Mientki

    Thank you, Stef and Guilherme. I'll be checking those things out. If
    anyone else who has an idea for something that can help me, I'll be
    happy to hear it!

    Ram.
    , Jan 23, 2008
  5. Martin Manns Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:10:07 -0800 (PST)
    "" <> wrote:

    > Hello! I am currently working on writing a simulation engine for
    > special relativity physics. I'm writing it in Python, of course. I'm
    > doing fine with the engine, but I want a GUI framework in which I
    > could use it conveniently, and test different setups on it. I'm not so
    > strong with GUI programming. I looked at Tkinter, I looked at
    > WxPython, I looked at PythonCard. It all looks pretty daunting.

    If you want to keep things simple, pygame could be an alternative for
    visualizing simulations and setting parameters even though it does not
    provide all these fancy widgets around.

    Martin
    Martin Manns, Jan 23, 2008
  6. Martin Manns <> wrote:
    > If you want to keep things simple, pygame could be an alternative for
    > visualizing simulations and setting parameters even though it does not
    > provide all these fancy widgets around.

    I'd second that.

    pygame will give you a window you can draw on which you can plot the
    result of your simulation.

    You can draw a few buttons (like play and stop) and detect clicks in
    them very easily.

    If you want loads of parameters then you'll either need to reach for a
    GUI toolkit or roll your own menuing system for pygame (which isn't
    that hard).

    Nick Craig-Wood, Jan 24, 2008