A guide to all the insane predictions made by Google’s new engineering director

Discussion in 'C++' started by Juarez Peace, Dec 22, 2012.

  1. Juarez Peace

    Juarez Peace Guest

    A guide to all the insane predictions made by Google’s new engineering
    director

    by Brad Reed
    http://is.gd/Kianma

    Google made a very important hire this past week when it decided to
    bring on famed futurist Ray Kurzweil as its new director of
    engineering. What makes the hire particularly intriguing is Kurzweil
    is equal parts brilliant and insane: He is a pioneer in fields such as
    speech recognition technology but he also thinks he will live forever
    after he uploads his consciousness onto a computer.

    After learning about the Kurzweil hire, I decided to take a peak back
    at my copy of The Singularity is Near, Kurzweil’s most famous futurist
    tome where he predicted that human beings would soon “transcend
    biology†and traverse the universe as immortal cyborgs. In no
    particular order, here are some of Kurzweil’s craziest predictions.

    In the 2040s, humans will develop “the means to instantly create
    new portions of ourselves, either biological or nonbiologicial†so
    that people can have “a biological body at one time and not at
    another, then have it again, then change it, and so on.†(The
    Singularity is Near, Page 258)

    By the late 2020s, we’ll be able to eat as much junk food as we
    want because we’ll all have nanobots injected into our bodies that
    will provide us with all the proper nutrients we need while also
    eliminating all the excess fat we’ll gain from eating 20 bags of
    Doritos every day. (Page 304)

    By 2010, “computers… will become essentially invisible:woven into
    our clothing, embedded in our furniture and environment.†Although the
    concept of “wearable†computers has been tossed around quite a bit,
    we’re a long way off from a time when Samsung (005930) will be ableto
    sell its first Galaxy Sweater model. (Page 312)

    At an undetermined point in the future, we’ll be able to beam
    ourselves into another person’s brain and experience the world as they
    see it, just as in the film Being John Malkovich. (Page 316)

    By 2033, “virtual prostitution†will be legalized. (Page 318)

    By the mid-21st century, people will evolve into “software-based
    humans†who will “live out on the Web, projecting bodies whenever they
    need or want them, including holographically projected bodies, foglet-
    projected bodies, and physical bodies comprising nanobot
    swarms.†(Page 325)

    Kurzweil, who is now 64 years old, knows that there’s a chance that
    his flesh body (or as he calls it, “Body 1.0″) could die before he
    gets to upload his brain into a computer and fly around the world as a
    swarm of nanobots. To ensure that he lives long enough to see such
    technological marvels, Kurzweil says he takes “250 supplements (pills)
    a day†and receives “a half-dozen intravenous therapies each week
    (basically nutritional supplements delivered directly into my
    bloodstream, thereby bypassing my GI tract).†(page 211)

    While that may sound excessive to you flesh-based humans, it’s also
    the price Kurzweil is willing to pay for a far-flung chance at
    immortality. So while you may scoff at Kurzweil’s projections right
    now, he may have the last laugh when you’re dying in a hospital and
    he’s whirring about as a software-based human in Body 2.0.
    Juarez Peace, Dec 22, 2012

  2. Re: A guide to all the insane predictions made byGoogle’s new engineering director

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 06:56:19 -0800, Juarez Peace wrote:

    > Google made a very important hire this past week when it decided to
    > bring on famed futurist Ray Kurzweil as its new director of engineering.
    > What makes the hire particularly intriguing is Kurzweil is equal parts
    > brilliant and insane: He is a pioneer in fields such as speech
    > recognition technology but he also thinks he will live forever after he
    > uploads his consciousness onto a computer.

    If you'd have told a 14th-century peasant that there'd be a huge merchant
    class in the future who would sit in huge metal cylinders eating meals
    and drinking wine while the cylinders hurtled through the air faster than
    a speeding arrow across oceans and continents to bring them to far-flung
    business opportunities, the peasant would have classified you as insane.
    And he'd have been wrong to the tune of a few gazillion frequent-flyer
    miles.

    > By 2010, “computers… will become essentially invisible: woven into
    > our clothing, embedded in our furniture and environment.†Although the
    > concept of “wearable†computers has been tossed around quite a bit,
    > we’re a long way off from a time when Samsung (005930) will be able to
    > sell its first Galaxy Sweater model. (Page 312)

    A smartphone in a pocket seems to be close enough. And I saw a home
    recently with small computerized gadgets inset into the *floor vents*.
    Cloud-computing-connected TVs and other items are becoming commonplace.

    > Kurzweil, who is now 64 years old, knows that there’s a chance that his
    > flesh body (or as he calls it, “Body 1.0″) could die before he gets to
    > upload his brain into a computer and fly around the world as a swarm of
    > nanobots. To ensure that he lives long enough to see such technological
    > marvels, Kurzweil says he takes “250 supplements (pills) a day†and
    > receives “a half-dozen intravenous therapies each week (basically
    > nutritional supplements delivered directly into my bloodstream, thereby
    > bypassing my GI tract).†(page 211)

    Has he also signed up for cryonics?

    > While that may sound excessive to you flesh-based humans, it’s also the
    > price Kurzweil is willing to pay for a far-flung chance at immortality.
    > So while you may scoff at Kurzweil’s projections right now, he may have
    > the last laugh when you’re dying in a hospital and he’s whirring about
    > as a software-based human in Body 2.0.

    So Google hired Kurzweil. The really interesting question, then, is if
    anyone's getting consultancies from Eliezer Yudkowsky ...
    Highway to Hell, Dec 23, 2012

  3. Juarez Peace

    anyone Guest

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 01:06:10 +0000, Highway to Hell wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 06:56:19 -0800, Juarez Peace wrote:
    >
    >> Google made a very important hire this past week when it decided to
    >> bring on famed futurist Ray Kurzweil as its new director of
    >> engineering. What makes the hire particularly intriguing is Kurzweil is
    >> equal parts brilliant and insane: He is a pioneer in fields such as
    >> speech recognition technology but he also thinks he will live forever
    >> after he uploads his consciousness onto a computer.

    > If you'd have told a 14th-century peasant that there'd be a huge
    > merchant class in the future who would sit in huge metal cylinders
    > eating meals and drinking wine while the cylinders hurtled through the
    > air faster than a speeding arrow across oceans and continents to bring
    > them to far-flung business opportunities, the peasant would have
    > classified you as insane. And he'd have been wrong to the tune of a few
    > gazillion frequent-flyer miles.
    >
    >> By 2010, “computers… will become essentially invisible: woven into
    >> our clothing, embedded in our furniture and environment.†Although the
    >> concept of “wearable†computers has been tossed around quite a bit,
    >> we’re a long way off from a time when Samsung (005930) will be able to
    >> sell its first Galaxy Sweater model. (Page 312)

    > A smartphone in a pocket seems to be close enough. And I saw a home
    > recently with small computerized gadgets inset into the *floor vents*.
    > Cloud-computing-connected TVs and other items are becoming commonplace.
    >
    >> Kurzweil, who is now 64 years old, knows that there’s a chance that his
    >> flesh body (or as he calls it, “Body 1.0″) could die before he gets to
    >> upload his brain into a computer and fly around the world as a swarm of
    >> nanobots. To ensure that he lives long enough to see such technological
    >> marvels, Kurzweil says he takes “250 supplements (pills) a day†and
    >> receives “a half-dozen intravenous therapies each week (basically
    >> nutritional supplements delivered directly into my bloodstream, thereby
    >> bypassing my GI tract).†(page 211)

    > Has he also signed up for cryonics?
    >
    >> While that may sound excessive to you flesh-based humans, it’s also the
    >> price Kurzweil is willing to pay for a far-flung chance at immortality.
    >> So while you may scoff at Kurzweil’s projections right now, he may have
    >> the last laugh when you’re dying in a hospital and he’s whirring about
    >> as a software-based human in Body 2.0.

    > So Google hired Kurzweil. The really interesting question, then, is if
    > anyone's getting consultancies from Eliezer Yudkowsky ...

    An even better question is, why did Google hire Mr. Kurzweil as Director
    of Engineering? In most corporations, that job is largely about
    management of people and resources -- in support of present business
    activity and with a goal of anticipating and planning for future growth --
    and not directly about science, technology & creativity. 'Strategic
    Planning' (or similar) likely would have been a better choice.
    anyone, Dec 23, 2012
  4. Juarez Peace

    Swifty Guest

    On 22/12/2012 14:56, Juarez Peace wrote:
    > By the late 2020s, we’ll be able to eat as much junk food as we
    > want because we’ll all have nanobots injected into our bodies that
    > will provide us with all the proper nutrients we need while also
    > eliminating all the excess fat we’ll gain from eating 20 bags of
    > Doritos every day.

    He's about 8 years out, as an eating regime published in May 2012 has
    already brought this about. See http://www.swiftys.org.uk/diet.html for
    the experiment that I'm running on myself.

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/
    Swifty, Dec 23, 2012
  5. Juarez Peace

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 06:56:19 -0800 (PST), Juarez Peace
    said :

> [...]
    >
    >Kurzweil, who is now 64 years old, knows that there’s a chance that
    >his flesh body (or as he calls it, “Body 1.0?) could die before he
    >gets to upload his brain into a computer and fly around the world as a
    >swarm of nanobots. To ensure that he lives long enough to see such
    >technological marvels, Kurzweil says he takes “250 supplements (pills)
    >a day†and receives “a half-dozen intravenous therapies each week
    >(basically nutritional supplements delivered directly into my
    >bloodstream, thereby bypassing my GI tract).†(page 211)
    >
    >While that may sound excessive to you flesh-based humans, it’s also
    >the price Kurzweil is willing to pay for a far-flung chance at
    >immortality. So while you may scoff at Kurzweil’s projections right
    >now, he may have the last laugh when you’re dying in a hospital and
    >he’s whirring about as a software-based human in Body 2.0.

    You are an ignorant ass. Kurzweil has a far better record of success
    at prediction than other futurists. Read WHY he says what he says.
    Just because it does not jibe with YOUR limited intuition does not
    make it wrong. He does not just pull his predictions out of his ass.

    Roedy Green, Dec 23, 2012