a href area to enlarge

Discussion in 'HTML' started by K., Jun 22, 2007.

  1. K.

    K. Guest

    Hello!

    I have such tag:

    Link

    Now active area for this tag is just on the "Link to page" text.
    I would like to enlarge active area of "a" tag to let the user click a few
    mm (milimeters)
    below, above, on left, on right the "a" tag.

    I used to do such thing using Maps tag, but I don`t want to use Maps.
    Is it possible to do this using <a href> tag?

    Thank you in advance
    Marcin

    K., Jun 22, 2007

  2. K. wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have such tag:

    > Link
    >
    > Now active area for this tag is just on the "Link to page" text.
    > I would like to enlarge active area of "a" tag to let the user click a few
    > mm (milimeters)
    > below, above, on left, on right the "a" tag.
    >
    > I used to do such thing using Maps tag, but I don`t want to use Maps.
    > Is it possible to do this using <a href> tag?
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    > Marcin

    will this work for you?...

    style="display:block;padding:40px;">Link to page</a>

    --
    Disco Octopus
    www.choicebeefjerky.com.au

    Disco Octopus, Jun 22, 2007

  3. K.

    K. Guest

    > to page</a>

    Thank you. It works but padding variable is not need

    K.

    K., Jun 22, 2007
  4. K.

    dorayme Guest

    In article <f5gh8p$ja0$>,
    "K." <> wrote:

    > > to page</a>

    > Thank you. It works but padding variable is not need

    If you don't have padding, what quite is the difference between
    no style at all in the link and mere display: block for your
    purpose? You delivering the padding from elsewhere?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 22, 2007
  5. K.

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-06-22, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <f5gh8p$ja0$>,
    > "K." <> wrote:

    >> > to page</a>

    >> Thank you. It works but padding variable is not need
    >>

    > If you don't have padding, what quite is the difference between
    > no style at all in the link and mere display: block for your
    > purpose? You delivering the padding from elsewhere?

    Padding will still make the clickable area wider-- the full width of the
    space available in the <td>-- but generally not much taller.

    Ben C, Jun 23, 2007
  6. K.

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > On 2007-06-22, dorayme <> wrote:

    > >> Thank you. It works but padding variable is not need
    > >>

    > > If you don't have padding, what quite is the difference between
    > > no style at all in the link and mere display: block for your
    > > purpose? You delivering the padding from elsewhere?

    > Padding will still make the clickable area wider-- the full width of the
    > space available in the <td>-- but generally not much taller.

    I was a little puzzled to know what OP would benefit from 2 over
    1 in

    <http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

    The differences are all a bit strange across different browsers
    and text sizes.

    (just btw, I discovered that iCab breaks the line after // in the
    left cell and wraps the www bit! unless one gives a big explicit
    width to the table.)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 23, 2007
  7. K.

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:16:48 GMT dorayme scribed:

    >> > If you don't have padding, what quite is the difference between
    >> > no style at all in the link and mere display: block for your
    >> > purpose? You delivering the padding from elsewhere?

    >> Padding will still make the clickable area wider-- the full width of the
    >> space available in the <td>-- but generally not much taller.

    > I was a little puzzled to know what OP would benefit from 2 over
    > 1 in
    >
    > <http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>
    >
    > The differences are all a bit strange across different browsers
    > and text sizes.

    As you suggested earlier, I see no difference in "the big three" (between
    examples 1 & 2) except ie6 cuts off the top and bottom border. Ergo, the
    OP's reply is puzzling.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Jun 23, 2007
  8. K.

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-06-23, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ben C <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-06-22, dorayme <> wrote:

    >> > If you don't have padding, what quite is the difference between
    >> > no style at all in the link and mere display: block for your
    >> > purpose? You delivering the padding from elsewhere?

    >> Padding will still make the clickable area wider-- the full width of the
    >> space available in the <td>-- but generally not much taller.

    > I was a little puzzled to know what OP would benefit from 2 over
    > 1 in
    >
    ><http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

    1 and 2 work out the same, but if in each case you give the <td>
    containing the <a> a styled width making it wider than it is at the
    moment, then the clickable area should be wider in 2.

    > The differences are all a bit strange across different browsers
    > and text sizes.
    >
    > (just btw, I discovered that iCab breaks the line after // in the
    > left cell and wraps the www bit! unless one gives a big explicit
    > width to the table.)

    It does that even when the viewport is wide enough to fit everything
    without any linebreaks? That is odd.

    Breaking after the // and before www when the available space starts to
    become restricted I think may possibly be the correct thing to do
    according to Unicode breaking classes, although it's not what Firefox
    does.

    Ben C, Jun 23, 2007
  9. K.

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > On 2007-06-23, dorayme <> wrote:

    > > (just btw, I discovered that iCab breaks the line after // in the
    > > left cell and wraps the www bit! unless one gives a big explicit
    > > width to the table.)

    > It does that even when the viewport is wide enough to fit everything
    > without any linebreaks? That is odd.

    Indeed it is. No, space was not the issue at all. I can open

    <http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

    in iCab full wide on my desktop which is 3,776 px wide and it
    still wraps after the "//" !

    But I have just this mo taken a further look and I notice it does
    _not_ wrap under some text size clicks... (nothing to do with
    available browser width). And investigating closer (I have a huge
    range of text size clicks available on iCab) it appears that it
    is in the minority (3 or 4 in about 14) that it wraps. So I
    guess, it wraps most of the time. I might write to the icab
    maker about this (he is very clever and cluey about CSS and will
    probably shed light on it considering some of his past replies to
    me.)

    I guess, writing this on a Sunday morning, looks bad. I mean, it
    is not like it is the most important investigation a being can
    make. One of my most riveting, in a previous slow period of life,
    was The Desert:

    dorayme, Jun 24, 2007
  10. K.

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > So I
    > guess, it wraps most of the time.

    Correction, Ben, I meant: "it does not wrap most of the time"

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 24, 2007
  11. K.

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-06-24, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ben C <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-06-23, dorayme <> wrote:

    >> > (just btw, I discovered that iCab breaks the line after // in the
    >> > left cell and wraps the www bit! unless one gives a big explicit
    >> > width to the table.)

    >> It does that even when the viewport is wide enough to fit everything
    >> without any linebreaks? That is odd.
    >>

    > Indeed it is. No, space was not the issue at all. I can open
    >
    ><http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>
    >
    > in iCab full wide on my desktop which is 3,776 px wide and it
    > still wraps after the "//" !
    >
    > But I have just this mo taken a further look and I notice it does
    > _not_ wrap under some text size clicks... (nothing to do with
    > available browser width). And investigating closer (I have a huge
    > range of text size clicks available on iCab) it appears that it
    > is in the minority (3 or 4 in about 14) that it wraps. So I
    > guess, it wraps most of the time. I might write to the icab
    > maker about this (he is very clever and cluey about CSS and will
    > probably shed light on it considering some of his past replies to
    > me.)

    Well let us know if there is any rationale to it. It looks like it's
    just a bug.

    It might be trying to make the two table columns similar widths but
    there's no reason to do that-- you haven't set td { width: 50%; } or
    anything.

    > I guess, writing this on a Sunday morning, looks bad. I mean, it
    > is not like it is the most important investigation a being can
    > make. One of my most riveting, in a previous slow period of life,
    > was The Desert:
    >
    ><http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

    Did you mean a different URL?

    Ben C, Jun 24, 2007
  12. K.

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > I might write to the icab
    > > maker about this ...

    > Well let us know if there is any rationale to it. It looks like it's
    > just a bug.

    Yes, it might well be. And yes, I will.

    > > One of my most riveting, in a previous slow period of life,
    > > was The Desert:
    > >
    > ><http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

    > Did you mean a different URL?

    er... yes, sorry, I just thought Sunday morning and you or Chris
    Johnson would be amused by:

    <http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/binHassad/desert.html>

    --
    dorayme