a href area to enlarge

K.

Hello!

I have such tag:

Link

Now active area for this tag is just on the "Link to page" text.
I would like to enlarge active area of "a" tag to let the user click a few
mm (milimeters)
below, above, on left, on right the "a" tag.

I used to do such thing using Maps tag, but I don`t want to use Maps.
Is it possible to do this using <a href> tag?

Thank you in advance
Marcin

Disco Octopus

K. said:
Hello!

I have such tag:

Link

Now active area for this tag is just on the "Link to page" text.
I would like to enlarge active area of "a" tag to let the user click a few
mm (milimeters)
below, above, on left, on right the "a" tag.

I used to do such thing using Maps tag, but I don`t want to use Maps.
Is it possible to do this using <a href> tag?

Thank you in advance
Marcin
will this work for you?...

style="display:block;padding:40px;">Link to page</a>

dorayme

to page</a>

Thank you. It works but padding variable is not need
[/QUOTE]

If you don't have padding, what quite is the difference between
no style at all in the link and mere display: block for your
purpose? You delivering the padding from elsewhere?

Ben C

Thank you. It works but padding variable is not need

If you don't have padding, what quite is the difference between
no style at all in the link and mere display: block for your
purpose? You delivering the padding from elsewhere?[/QUOTE]

Padding will still make the clickable area wider-- the full width of the
space available in the <td>-- but generally not much taller.

dorayme

Ben C said:
Padding will still make the clickable area wider-- the full width of the
space available in the <td>-- but generally not much taller.

I was a little puzzled to know what OP would benefit from 2 over
1 in

<http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

The differences are all a bit strange across different browsers
and text sizes.

(just btw, I discovered that iCab breaks the line after // in the
left cell and wraps the www bit! unless one gives a big explicit
width to the table.)

Ben C

I was a little puzzled to know what OP would benefit from 2 over
1 in

<http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

1 and 2 work out the same, but if in each case you give the <td>
The differences are all a bit strange across different browsers
and text sizes.

(just btw, I discovered that iCab breaks the line after // in the
left cell and wraps the www bit! unless one gives a big explicit
width to the table.)

It does that even when the viewport is wide enough to fit everything
without any linebreaks? That is odd.

Breaking after the // and before www when the available space starts to
become restricted I think may possibly be the correct thing to do
according to Unicode breaking classes, although it's not what Firefox
does.

dorayme

Ben C said:
It does that even when the viewport is wide enough to fit everything
without any linebreaks? That is odd.

Indeed it is. No, space was not the issue at all. I can open

<http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

in iCab full wide on my desktop which is 3,776 px wide and it
still wraps after the "//" !

But I have just this mo taken a further look and I notice it does
_not_ wrap under some text size clicks... (nothing to do with
available browser width). And investigating closer (I have a huge
range of text size clicks available on iCab) it appears that it
is in the minority (3 or 4 in about 14) that it wraps. So I
guess, it wraps most of the time. I might write to the icab
maker about this (he is very clever and cluey about CSS and will
probably shed light on it considering some of his past replies to
me.)

I guess, writing this on a Sunday morning, looks bad. I mean, it
is not like it is the most important investigation a being can
make. One of my most riveting, in a previous slow period of life,
was The Desert:

<http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

Ben C

Indeed it is. No, space was not the issue at all. I can open

<http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

in iCab full wide on my desktop which is 3,776 px wide and it
still wraps after the "//" !

But I have just this mo taken a further look and I notice it does
_not_ wrap under some text size clicks... (nothing to do with
available browser width). And investigating closer (I have a huge
range of text size clicks available on iCab) it appears that it
is in the minority (3 or 4 in about 14) that it wraps. So I
guess, it wraps most of the time. I might write to the icab
maker about this (he is very clever and cluey about CSS and will
probably shed light on it considering some of his past replies to
me.)

Well let us know if there is any rationale to it. It looks like it's
just a bug.

It might be trying to make the two table columns similar widths but
there's no reason to do that-- you haven't set td { width: 50%; } or
anything.
I guess, writing this on a Sunday morning, looks bad. I mean, it
is not like it is the most important investigation a being can
make. One of my most riveting, in a previous slow period of life,
was The Desert:

<http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/display.html>

Did you mean a different URL?