A javascript to Detect Flash?

maflu

Hello,
Is there a reliable Javascript script ressource on the web to detect the
Flash plug-in up to the version 6? Thank you
Cheers

Kris

maflu said:
Is there a reliable Javascript script ressource on the web to detect the
Flash plug-in up to the version 6?

Find the oxymoron of today.

Hint: "reliable" and "javascript".

The visitor knows best

Richard

Kris said:
Find the oxymoron of today.
Hint: "reliable" and "javascript".
The visitor knows best

Cut the crapola and reply with a responsible answer or don't reply at all.
The question was basically, "how to detect if visitor has Flash plug in and
which version?".
If you don't know the answer, don't reply with the stereotypical bullshit
about javascript.
Maybe there are other people who would like to know the answer too.

Kris

[QUOTE=""Richard said:
The visitor knows best

Cut the crapola and reply with a responsible answer or don't reply at all.[/QUOTE]

"The visitor knows best is the best answer". Maybe not what you want to
hear, but who cares about that.

The Sites that have Flash on which I have the most pleasant experience
are not the ones who make assumptions about my configuration. They
simply state, "for this and this, that and that is required", which is
quite fine for content that cannot be effectively presented in another
way (eg. animations, games, etcetera). Some of those sites have a small
Flash movie embedded in the page in order for you to see if you have a
plugin installed to handle it.

Where is your precious Flash when the detection script fails because of
reason X or reason Y?
The question was basically, "how to detect if visitor has Flash plug in and
which version?".
So?

If you don't know the answer, don't reply with the stereotypical bullshit
about javascript.

Sdn me the cheque and this will be your personal helpdesk, or whatever
you want it to be. Until then, it is Usenet.
Maybe there are other people who would like to know the answer too.

I am not keeping them from wanting. I am not obigated a thing to them.
And besides, I did give an answer.

Toby A Inkster

Richard said:
Cut the crapola and reply with a responsible answer or don't reply at all.
The question was basically, "how to detect if visitor has Flash plug in and
which version?".

No, the question was:

| Is there a reliable Javascript script ressource on the web to detect
| the Flash plug-in up to the version 6?

and the answer is "no".

informant

Richard said:
Kris said:
Cut the crapola and reply with a responsible answer or don't reply at all.

Weren't you just told to "be silent" in misc.legal for gibbering
misinformation, Bullis? Why, yes you were. Hypocrite.
The question was basically, "how to detect if visitor has Flash plug in and
which version?".
If you don't know the answer, don't reply with the stereotypical bullshit
about javascript.
Maybe there are other people who would like to know the answer too.

You don't own this newsgroup, Bullis.

--
Photos of Bullis
http://www.lart.com/stupidrichard/

The S.P.U.T.U.M. Lamers Gallery
http://www.sputum.com/shame.html
CENKOC Richard S. Bullis,
Clueless Eternal Newbie Kook of the Century (Jan, 1901-Jan, 2001)

From: "Richard" <anom@anom>
Newsgroups: alt.html
Subject: Re: A javascript to Detect Flash?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:18:30 -0600

maflu

Kris wrote:

Find the oxymoron of today.

Hint: "reliable" and "javascript".
No. That was the oxymoron of yesterday. The one of today is: "Kris"
and "sense of humour"... pathetic.

PeterMcC

maflu said:
Kris wrote:

No. That was the oxymoron of yesterday. The one of today is: "Kris"
and "sense of humour"... pathetic.

Whilst I wouldn't want to interupt this duel of wit, you may want to check
the difference between "oxymoron" and "contradition in terms".

rf

PeterMcC said:
Whilst I wouldn't want to interupt this duel of wit, you may want to check
the difference between "oxymoron" and "contradition in terms".

Is this not a tautology?

Cheers
Richard.

maflu

rf said:
Is this not a tautology?
No, it is really an oxymoron.
Tautology: A repetition that in and of itself is obvious and
self-evident, such as "Kris is a male", used as a method of arriving at
the validity of general
propositions.
Oxymoron: a figure of speech in which contradictory words or
connotations are placed together

rf

maflu said:
No, it is really an oxymoron.
Tautology: A repetition that in and of itself is obvious and
self-evident, such as "Kris is a male", used as a method of arriving at
the validity of general
propositions.
Oxymoron: a figure of speech in which contradictory words or
connotations are placed together

I was referring to your statement : "oxymoron" and "contradition in terms".
Ah, whatever :)

Cheers
Richard.

PeterMcC

maflu said:
No, it is really an oxymoron.

No, sorry, it's not.
Tautology: A repetition that in and of itself is obvious and
self-evident, such as "Kris is a male", used as a method of arriving
at the validity of general
propositions.

Other examples of tautology - "past history", "forward planning", "previous
experience", "basic fundamentals", "free gift"...
Oxymoron: a figure of speech in which contradictory words or
connotations are placed together

And which has significance other than than being simply a contradiction - "a
deafening silence", "the wisdom of fools", "cruel to be kind" etc - from the
Greek, pointed foolishness; whereas a contradiction in terms simply brings
together two incompatible concepts.

PeterMcC

PeterMcC said:
maflu wrote: ..

Not worth pursuing... you are absolutely right, does that help?

There is no doubt that you are mistaken; however, there was no call for my
sarcasm, it's a poor method of debate - apologies.

Kris

[rest of bloated signature snipped]

Trim your sig or be killfiled. It is almost bigger than your postings.

Kris

Find the oxymoron of today.

Hint: "reliable" and "javascript".
No. That was the oxymoron of yesterday. The one of today is: "Kris"
and "sense of humour"... pathetic.[/QUOTE]

For that, see alt.humour. Sense of humour is off topic here.