A Lambda Logo Tour

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Xah Lee, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    A Lambda Logo Tour
    (and why LISP languages using λ as logo should not be looked upon
    kindly)

    Xah Lee, 2002-02

    Dear lispers,

    The lambda character λ, always struck a awe in me, as with other
    mathematical symbols. In my mind, i imagine that those obscure math
    symbolism are etched in stone by god. A salient example is the book
    cover Concrete Mathematics by Ronald Graham et al. (See it here:
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/bcb/concrete-math.jpg.) Here we see
    the summation sign ∑ etched in stone. The summation sign happens to
    be my favorite math symbol. (chosen as my website signet:
    http://xahlee.org/Icons_dir/icon_sum.gif XahLee.org signet)

    These symbols are not to be trifled with. If anyone puffs in as much
    half a snicker, i wish god strikes a thunder upon their impudence.

    The Greek lambda symbol is used in a branch of logic called lambda
    calculus. The theories of lambda calculus is what functional languages
    are based on, thus many functional languages's logo feature the lambda.
    Here is a sampling:
    MIT Scheme logo

    MIT Scheme's logo features a recursive shield with lambda
    http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/projects/scheme/
    Schemer.org's logo

    Schemer.org's logo has a modernized look. It is a simple lambda inside
    a O figuration. http://www.schemers.org/ (the O figure is supposed to
    be a pair of parenthesis)
    PLT Scheme logo

    PLT Scheme logo, notable is the red/white/blue coloring scheme.
    http://www.plt-scheme.org/
    MzScheme

    MzScheme logo features a lambda besides a Chinese character æ–‡ (wen2).
    The character means written language.
    http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/packages/mzscheme/
    Common Lisp HTTP server logo

    the Common Lisp HTTP server logo.
    http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html
    Scheme Shell logo

    Scheme shell scsh logo is a lamba inside a bivalve, perhaps most
    artistic of the bunch: http://www.scsh.net/
    Haskell logo

    Haskell language logo is a plain lambda: http://haskell.org/
    Hugs98 logo

    The Haskell interpreter Hugs98 features a 3D lambda with projected
    shadow http://www.haskell.org/hugs/
    Yale Haskell logo Yale Haskell bullfrog

    Yale Haskell project used a logo that features symbols in lambda
    calculus including the lambda, and also a bullfrog head. Quite funny
    and beautiful. (the bullfrog logo origin is explained at the bottom.
    i.e. that of parody to Yale's bulldog logo)
    http://web.archive.org/web/20000301023909/http://www.cs.yale.edu/haskell/yale-fp.html

    The book cover Structure & Interpretation of Computer Programs by
    Abelson & Sussman, features a wizard and witch talking with prominent
    lambda, and a monster foot of the table showing: see:
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/sicp-cover.jpg

    I love these lambda-featuring logos. However, i have a complaint. As
    most of you know, lisp languages are not purely functional languages.
    Subroutines in lisps easily have side-effects, and sometimes
    non-functional programing methodologies such as OOP are actually
    encouraged in lisp. As most of you know, the lambda symbol chosen by
    functional languages is to signify no side-effects. In this respect, i
    find the lisp languages not totally deserving the use of lambda in
    their logo. As i have expressed before, mathematical symbols are not to
    be trifled with, and the Schemers have tainted my mathematics, strickly
    speaking.

    Although i have these minor objections with lispers using the lambda
    symbol, but overall i think the lispers and i share a more important
    common goal. That is, to kill all imperative programing ignoramuses of
    the world. Once the unix and c and perl and otherwise idiots are all
    dead, then i'll formally raise my objection about Lisper's unfit
    borrowing of the math symbol and term lambda.

    (PS In America, imperative language programers are such not because
    they prefer such methodology, but because they know shit.)

    ----------------------------------
    Addendum, 2003-05, 2006-04.
    Haskell logo

    above: Haskell language's new logo, inargurated in 2003-05. Superb!
    Haskell logo Haskell logo

    above: Two Web logos for Haskell.

    Someone has written a C++ library for functional programing, called
    FC++. (by Brian McNamara and Yannis Smaragdakis, 2003) Their website is
    http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~yannis/fc /index.html. They have unsettled
    logos. Here's one of them:
    FC++ logo

    There's a Scheme-to-C compiler called Chicken (by Felix L Winkelmann,
    at http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/chicken.html).
    Scheme Chicken logo

    This is getting silly and disrespectful.

    ----
    This post is archived at:
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html

    PS if you know any new lambda logo, please let me know. Thanks.

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/
    Xah Lee, Apr 5, 2006

  2. Scripsit "Xah Lee" <>

    > Subroutines in lisps easily have side-effects, and sometimes
    > non-functional programing methodologies such as OOP are actually
    > encouraged in lisp. As most of you know, the lambda symbol chosen by
    > functional languages is to signify no side-effects.

    What are you smoking? You're sure you could stop anytime you wanted,
    right?

    --
    Henning Makholm "What a hideous colour khaki is."
    Henning Makholm, Apr 5, 2006

  3. I bet the ∑-book also has some λ-stuff in it. If it doesn't, it
    probably uses some other greek letters that aren't mentioned on the
    cover. It's such a shame, really ... :(

    --
    Lars Rune Nøstdal
    http://lars.nostdal.org/
    Lars Rune Nøstdal, Apr 5, 2006
  4. Xah Lee wrote:
    > PS if you know any new lambda logo, please let me know. Thanks.

    ^

    Oops, no, that would be an old lambda logo...

    --
    David Hopwood <>
    David Hopwood, Apr 6, 2006
  5. Xah Lee

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > A Lambda Logo Tour
    > (and why LISP languages using λ as logo should not be looked upon
    > kindly)
    >
    > Xah Lee, 2002-02
    >
    > Dear lispers,

    For the love of Java! Where is the Java in this post?

    Underwear related off topic trivia:
    At university we worked out that Y-fronts weren't Y-fronts at all -
    after all, the 'Y' is upside down - they're actually lambda pants.
    Alex Hunsley, Apr 7, 2006