A lighter IIS-Asp.Net application.

craigkenisston

I'm creating a web tracking application using Asp.Net. The kind of
applications that remotely tracks visitors and paths to a website and
store the information in an external server to view reports.

I'm not even sure if this it is OK to use asp.net for this, somehow I
think it would be more from scratch and even write my own http server.

But the thing is I don't have those skills, so this will be a .net
application. :)

Now, I wonder, what kind of things, switches, tricks and the likes
could I do in order to have a very optimized response time for each
requests.
For example, I don't need any kind of sessions. It will be individual
calls and individual users are tracked by cookies. So, what can I do to
tell asp.net to don't care about creating a session on this application
?

Just like this, I wonder what other things could I do in order to get a
stripped asp.net application with just the basics to log the visits,
setting cookies and do some calls to a database server.

Guest

You probably want to implement an ASHX handler. That's a stripped down means
of working with a request without the Page class, etc. You can do database
access and whatever else you want in it.
Peter

craigkenisston

Jeff, yes, I'll get a book.
Paul, thanks for that.

Peter,
Thank you very much, that's a great hint. I already found out how easy
is to disregard the use of sessions. I'll do that in the meantime,
while I investigate on the ashx handler.