    such as- a:link, a:hover, a:active. a:visited, a:vlink, a:???

    --
    JohnW-Mpls

    JohnW, Aug 16, 2005

  2. JohnW

    Greg N. Guest

    Greg N., Aug 16, 2005

  3. JohnW

    Safalra Guest

    Safalra, Aug 16, 2005
  4. JohnW

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Safalra scraped:

    > Why are you using books when the specification is freely available
    > online?

    What's wrong with using books? You can't[1] hold the online
    specifications in your hand, put it on your desk, read it in bed, read
    it in the back of the car or on the train, and you certainly can't take
    it to the bathroom with you.

    ______
    [1] Unless you print them all off, of course.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Aug 16, 2005
  5. JohnW

    middletree Guest

    Great CSS reference:

    http://www.ilovejackdaniels.com/css/css-cheat-sheet/

    middletree, Aug 16, 2005
  6. Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Safalra scraped:
    >
    >> Why are you using books when the specification is freely available
    >> online?

    > What's wrong with using books? You can't[1] hold the online
    > specifications in your hand, put it on your desk, read it in bed, read
    > it in the back of the car or on the train, and you certainly can't take
    > it to the bathroom with you.
    >
    > ______
    > [1] Unless you print them all off, of course.

    Or using a notebook with wireless internet connection :)
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Aug 16, 2005
  7. JohnW

    Safalra Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Safalra scraped:
    > > Why are you using books when the specification is freely available
    > > online?

    > What's wrong with using books? You can't hold the online
    > specifications in your hand, put it on your desk, read it in bed, read
    > it in the back of the car or on the train, and you certainly can't take
    > it to the bathroom with you.

    I gave the wrong impression there - I'm a great fan of books, really,
    and those are all good examples of why. (I'd further add that a book is
    still readable when there's a powercut. Unless it's dark.) It just
    seems strange looking something up in a book when you're already
    sitting in front of the computer and have the specification available
    online (or a local copy) where it can easily be searched.

    --
    Safalra (Stephen Morley)
    http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/

    Safalra, Aug 16, 2005
  8. JohnW

    Toby Inkster Guest

    JohnW wrote:

    > I have a number of books but nothing lists all choices. I have a site
    > where I'm having trouble defining the text style for various states
    > such as- a:link, a:hover, a:active. a:visited, a:vlink, a:???

    Full list of link pseudo-classes is:

    a:link
    a:visited
    a:hover
    a:active
    a:focus

    a:vlink is bogus -- no such thing.

    You can also combine them -- e.g.:

    a:visited:hover
    a:focus:hover

    There's also the ":lang" selector for matching links in different
    languages:

    a:lang(en)
    a:lang(fr-ca):hover

    These mostly apply to things other than links too. You can select hovered
    paragraphs like this:

    p:hover

    Reference: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#dynamic-pseudo-classes

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 16, 2005
  9. JohnW

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Edwin van der Vaart quothed:

    > Dylan Parry wrote:
    > > Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Safalra scraped:
    > >
    > >> Why are you using books when the specification is freely available
    > >> online?

    > > What's wrong with using books? You can't[1] hold the online
    > > specifications in your hand, put it on your desk, read it in bed, read
    > > it in the back of the car or on the train, and you certainly can't take
    > > it to the bathroom with you.
    > >
    > > ______
    > > [1] Unless you print them all off, of course.

    > Or using a notebook with wireless internet connection :)

    But then I wouldn't be able to see my wonderwurst.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 16, 2005
  10. Neredbojias wrote:
    > With neither quill nor qualm, Edwin van der Vaart quothed:
    >>Dylan Parry wrote:
    >>>Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Safalra scraped:

    >>>What's wrong with using books? You can't[1] hold the online
    >>>specifications in your hand, put it on your desk, read it in bed, read
    >>>it in the back of the car or on the train, and you certainly can't take
    >>>it to the bathroom with you.
    >>>______
    >>>[1] Unless you print them all off, of course.

    >>Or using a notebook with wireless internet connection :)

    > But then I wouldn't be able to see my wonderwurst.

    Wonderwurst :-?
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Aug 16, 2005
  11. JohnW

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:37:38 +0100, Dylan Parry <>
    wrote:

    >What's wrong with using books?

    They're frequently inaccurate.

    If inaccurate, they're wrong. If the W3C spec is somehow wrong, it
    magically becomes correct (if infuriating)

    They cost money.

    Almost no HTML / CSS books are worth opening, especially if you're
    looking for real authoritative descriptions.

    You can't leave the web at home.

    Andy Dingley, Aug 16, 2005
  12. JohnW

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Safalra" <>
    >
    > JohnW wrote:
    >> What is a good source for learning the various states for CSS links?
    >> (Is there a source listing of all CSS syntax?)
    >> I have a number of books but nothing lists all choices.

    > Why are you using books when the specification is freely available
    > online?

    Well, it might have been like this: various books that had bits and
    pieces got into the OPs collection. He was brought up to be fond of
    books. Liked them in general and found them comfy to curl up with and
    read stuff. But certain questions arose in his mind that he could not
    easily find in those books. And he just thought he would ask a question
    about a good online source for comprehensive specs and stuff. And being
    a nice and friendly and chatty OP, he tells us a bit about himself...

    Or possibly it could have been more dramatic. He was committing a
    burglary and the cabinet he was rifling was booby trapped. He had his
    legs blown off but was near books on emergency medical procedures and
    the first aid cabinet was reachable too. He fixed himself up to live
    but could not move much. There were also some books about websites. He
    picked up some stuff but wanted more. Finally, he got help, got to a
    computer, and in his understandable excitement and distraction, blurted
    out his request to this newsgroup...

    Ho hum...

    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 17, 2005